Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 168473 times)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #3750 on: October 09, 2024, 07:59:47 pm »
I cleaned out under and around the 69 Firebird project. Next up is, tack weld the rest of the exhaust and then pull the pipes out for finish welding and then put them back in for test fit before declaring victory.
 One car and a couple bikes will go to storage this winter. That will make the room that I need to finish welding the inaccessible parts of the frame before the floor can be made permanent. The big move will be ordering the new body, it's difficult to pull the trigger.

Will it be a complete new body w/ all the parts ?
Does the 69' Firebird and 69' Camaro share the same body ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #3751 on: October 13, 2024, 04:16:28 pm »
 New sheet metal, I'd re-use everything that I can count on not being rusted internally. The Camaro shares the internal structure, roof, floors, etc.
 Today I prepped the race car for storage. Drained the water, I used a shop vac to get the radiator empty, (it's horizontal) changed the oil, took the slicks off, charged the battery, backed off the tightest 4 valve springs, labeled anything that might get forgotten in spring.
 There's no dipstick so I measured the old oil, 7 qts. Should have been 6. Sometimes I pull the filter and add a full qt, I guess it adds up.  I got the filter draining so I can cut it open tomorrow.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #3752 on: October 14, 2024, 04:03:03 pm »
Replaced the thermostat on her Forrester today.

Need to start addressing my Impreza and get started on my ram 2500 before it gets too cold
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #3753 on: October 14, 2024, 04:27:30 pm »
Today I got the A-arms and rock guard for the 01' Honda TRX 350 Rancher ATV sprayed with bedliner. They were apart for new ball joints. I also finished installing the new ball joints, wheel bearings and seals in the steering knuckles after painting.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #3754 on: October 15, 2024, 12:35:17 pm »
Pulled the pontoon boat out of the lake. I probably could have waited another couple weeks, but it's getting cold enough that we likely wouldn't have wanted to go out again. The trailer is a rental, the platform that is against the bottom of the deck pivots up and down so you can set the boat on blocks and then drive the trailer out. Right now its on the grass in front of one of the barns until I can make room then I'll rent the trailer again and move it inside for the winter.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3755 on: October 15, 2024, 12:45:09 pm »
New sheet metal, I'd re-use everything that I can count on not being rusted internally. The Camaro shares the internal structure, roof, floors, etc.
 Today I prepped the race car for storage. Drained the water, I used a shop vac to get the radiator empty, (it's horizontal) changed the oil, took the slicks off, charged the battery, backed off the tightest 4 valve springs, labeled anything that might get forgotten in spring.
 There's no dipstick so I measured the old oil, 7 qts. Should have been 6. Sometimes I pull the filter and add a full qt, I guess it adds up.  I got the filter draining so I can cut it open tomorrow.

Sad time of year! I have to pull the LEXUS out of the trailer and “winterize” too…..

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3756 on: October 17, 2024, 07:00:03 am »
Pulled the pontoon boat out of the lake.

Depressing time of year for you Northerners.   My buddy in MI has his boat "wrapped" with some sort of giant roll of plastic.  Do you do that too or just cover it?

Have a crew line up to go boating this Saturday, forecast appears perfect - Sunny and 81 degrees.  Our boat stays at the dock all year...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3757 on: October 17, 2024, 07:16:50 am »
So it was time to awake the ol' Chevy from "summer hibernation".  It didnt want to start up so pulled the air cleaner and gave it a shot of carb cleaner, have been told it is better to use than ether.
The 350 started up but the Eldelbrock carb was spewing up gas, shut it down.  Have seen this before, it is a classic symptom of stuck float caused by the bad ethanol fuel.  We had a spare carb in the shop so removed the bad and replaced it with a nice clean one, will deal with that one later.

[/url]

The car fired almost immediately and settled to a nice idle thanks to the electric choke.  Warmed it up for a couple minutes and took it for a short test drive, all good. 

There is a huge car show next Saturday that I plan to go to.  It's in a small town about an hour away, they shut down Main St and line up the cars everywhere, about 800 cars are expected!

http://www.motortexas.com/event/328
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #3758 on: October 17, 2024, 12:19:58 pm »

There is a huge car show next Saturday that I plan to go to.  It's in a small town about an hour away, they shut down Main St and line up the cars everywhere, about 800 cars are expected!

That's a good looking vette.  There's a music store in Taylor on Main St. in Taylor with an old upright piano painted like EVH's guitar right on the sidewalk.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3759 on: October 17, 2024, 01:00:23 pm »
So it was time to awake the ol' Chevy from "summer hibernation".  It didnt want to start up so pulled the air cleaner and gave it a shot of carb cleaner, have been told it is better to use than ether.
The 350 started up but the Eldelbrock carb was spewing up gas, shut it down.  Have seen this before, it is a classic symptom of stuck float caused by the bad ethanol fuel.  We had a spare carb in the shop so removed the bad and replaced it with a nice clean one, will deal with that one later.

[/url]

The car fired almost immediately and settled to a nice idle thanks to the electric choke.  Warmed it up for a couple minutes and took it for a short test drive, all good. 

I have to dig out my 1980 FORD F350 plow truck. Will probably be the same….

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3760 on: October 17, 2024, 02:08:17 pm »

[/url]

I like your "ol' Chevy" Stev-o  ;) 8)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3761 on: October 18, 2024, 11:16:15 am »

That's a good looking vette.  There's a music store in Taylor on Main St. in Taylor with an old upright piano painted like EVH's guitar right on the sidewalk.

Hey Bud...you must be referring to Karch's Music, they have the piano painted like EVH's Frankenstrat!

PS Bud - I'm registered for the Hill Country Motorheads Bike Show on Nov 2nd, are you going?!

https://www.burnetchamber.org/event/texas-motorcycle-revival/

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #3762 on: October 18, 2024, 01:22:35 pm »
[
Hey Bud...you must be referring to Karch's Music, they have the piano painted like EVH's Frankenstrat!

PS Bud - I'm registered for the Hill Country Motorheads Bike Show on Nov 2nd, are you going?!

https://www.burnetchamber.org/event/texas-motorcycle-revival/

That's the one.

I didn't know about the show at Motorheads.  I'm always looking for an excuse to ride.  I'll try to make it.

They're having the "Ton" at Pecan Grove this weekend.  Probably not going.  They're also having flat track Nationals at the F'burg fairgrounds this weekend.  Thinking about going Sunday.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3763 on: October 18, 2024, 02:19:59 pm »
Mmm pecan pie season...
Vette looks good. Enjoy the bike show, car show, and other events you can get out to...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3764 on: October 20, 2024, 01:32:10 pm »
Because I like cars, I always followed what they were doing with Corvettes over the different generations.  I was never really inclined to own one, but a while back I noticed C5's were getting cheap and seemed like a lot of bang for the buck, so was tempted a time or two.  In the immortal words of the late, great Bill Paxton, the Vette gets 'em wet. My son has had a series off them, the latest is this 2001 6-speed Z06.  A few weeks ago, he was getting on it on an on-ramp and something let go and he was dead in the water.  So we finally had some time to find out what the something was.  As I researched these cars with the rear-mounted transmissions (C6 and C7's have the same set-up) I found out that a lot of the drivetrain problems they have are related to age more than miles.  It's the dang torque tube for one thing, so we thought maybe it was a coupler that had let go.

So up on the lift she goes -

Here is what the torque tube looks like for those not familiar with these cars.  The front end mounts to the bellhousing, the driveshaft runs through it, with the rear end bolted to the transmission which bolts to the axle.

Out of the car -

The axle is mounted to a cradle that is bolted to the back of the car.  It takes a lot of disassembly to get to this point.  I hear a clutch job on these cars runs $2000 plus to hire it done.  I can understand why.

We found this while taking it apart.  The top bolts holding the tranny to the axle were completely backed out and flopping around. Amazing they were still there.  A big gap is visible.  It is clear this has been apart before, and the numb nut putting it back together used the wrong bolts.  They are too short, and only engaged maybe three threads.  Some people shouldn't be allowed around tools.

A Tremec T56 6 speed transmission.  Can anybody tell what is wrong with this picture?

So it wasn't a torque tube/driveshaft problem (dang it).  The mainshaft broke at a snap ring groove right inside the case at the output end.  The misalignment caused by the loose bolts at the transmission/axle junction is no doubt the culprit. 

We looked everything over after pulling the case and shafts and it appears there was no other damage.  No chunks on the magnets.  There is some minor visible wear on syncros and gears, but what you'd expect after 87,000 miles.  Everything still looks serviceable.

We will leave the main shaft assembly together until the new one comes in for what is probably an obvious reason. 

We are mulling over what else we might do while it is apart.   It looks like it has the major upgrades these transmissions got as time went on that I know about.  He will order parts tomorrow.  He is going to be spending some money for sure.  Welcome to the world of high performance cars.   If any of you have advice or experience to share on these transmissions, I'd appreciate hearing it.  Stev-o?

Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3765 on: October 20, 2024, 01:59:14 pm »
Because I like cars, I always followed what they were doing with Corvettes over the different generations.  I was never really inclined to own one, but a while back I noticed C5's were getting cheap and seemed like a lot of bang for the buck, so was tempted a time or two.  In the immortal words of the late, great Bill Paxton, the Vette gets 'em wet. My son has had a series off them, the latest is this 2001 6-speed Z06.  A few weeks ago, he was getting on it on an on-ramp and something let go and he was dead in the water.  So we finally had some time to find out what the something was.  As I researched these cars with the rear-mounted transmissions (C6 and C7's have the same set-up) I found out that a lot of the drivetrain problems they have are related to age more than miles.  It's the dang torque tube for one thing, so we thought maybe it was a coupler that had let go.

So up on the lift she goes -

Here is what the torque tube looks like for those not familiar with these cars.  The front end mounts to the bellhousing, the driveshaft runs through it, with the rear end bolted to the transmission which bolts to the axle.

Out of the car -

The axle is mounted to a cradle that is bolted to the back of the car.  It takes a lot of disassembly to get to this point.  I hear a clutch job on these cars runs $2000 plus to hire it done.  I can understand why.

We found this while taking it apart.  The top bolts holding the tranny to the axle were completely backed out and flopping around. Amazing they were still there.  A big gap is visible.  It is clear this has been apart before, and the numb nut putting it back together used the wrong bolts.  They are too short, and only engaged maybe three threads.  Some people shouldn't be allowed around tools.

A Tremec T56 6 speed transmission.  Can anybody tell what is wrong with this picture?

So it wasn't a torque tube/driveshaft problem (dang it).  The mainshaft broke at a snap ring groove right inside the case at the output end.  The misalignment caused by the loose bolts at the transmission/axle junction is no doubt the culprit. 

We looked everything over after pulling the case and shafts and it appears there was no other damage.  No chunks on the magnets.  There is some minor visible wear on syncros and gears, but what you'd expect after 87,000 miles.  Everything still looks serviceable.

We will leave the main shaft assembly together until the new one comes in for what is probably an obvious reason. 

We are mulling over what else we might do while it is apart.   It looks like it has the major upgrades these transmissions got as time went on that I know about.  He will order parts tomorrow.  He is going to be spending some money for sure.  Welcome to the world of high performance cars.   If any of you have advice or experience to share on these transmissions, I'd appreciate hearing it.  Stev-o?

I'm sad to see a PO somewhere had a person use bolts like that which backed-out.

Greg,is your son thinking to choose to strip all the original parts off the broken shaft,then install a new shaft and re-install all the good,orig. parts(possibly replace any other orig./worn parts on that shaft)and re-install the new shaft assm. into the transmission case ?

Do you have a qualified transmission person not far from you which you could pay a certain amount to install the new shaft w/ the above swap of orig. parts then reassemble all the parts into the original case ?  A transmission-Savy individual may have needed pullers and set-up procedures for that model. I would be considering getting a friendly/knowledgeable transmission expert to give it a look/price. 

Would you consider purchasing a good,used transmission, to work with ?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2024, 01:18:53 am by grcamna2 »

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #3766 on: October 21, 2024, 12:54:03 am »
wow massive job!!!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3767 on: October 21, 2024, 07:27:53 am »
  If any of you have advice or experience to share on these transmissions, I'd appreciate hearing it.  Stev-o?

Hey Greg...  Sorry, I have no experience or interest for that matter in Corvettes after model year 1972. I'm a "chrome bumper" guy.  However, Tremec does make a very good trans.

The Corvette forum is very good, I dont hang out there a lot, but is a great source on information. Good luck.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3768 on: October 21, 2024, 08:02:49 am »
Do you have a qualified transmission person not far from you which you could pay a certain amount to ....Would you consider purchasing a good,used transmission, to work with ?

Well, I have a hard time paying someone a lot of money to have all the fun when I can do it myself.  There aren't a lot of these transmissions around, and the ones that are out there go for big money.  Then you have a used transmission you don't know anything about until you go to considerable effort to get it back in the car.    If it has a problem, you are back to square one.  Of course, jobs like this are always easier the second time around. ;)

wow massive job!!!

It's a big job.  But the reason I bought the lift is for stuff like this.  The lift makes oil changes fun, but it is for jobs like this that it pays for itself.  Back before I got the lift, the clutch slave cylinder on my son's previous C5 needed to be fixed.  He paid over $1800 to have the work done, which involves much of the disassembly we did for this job.  I also bought a high lift transmission jack a couple of years ago which comes in handy for all kinds of jobs.  So we are well equipped to do it.

If any of you have advice or experience to share on these transmissions, I'd appreciate hearing it.  Stev-o?

Hey Greg...  Sorry, I have no experience or interest for that matter in Corvettes after model year 1972. I'm a "chrome bumper" guy.

Perfectly understandable.  I am basically the same.  And I dislike complexity for complexity's sake.  But the power and handling of the newer cars is seductive.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3769 on: October 21, 2024, 10:44:16 am »
But the power and handling of the newer cars is seductive.

Yes, power and handling is seductive. 

I was lucky enough to borrow a friend's Ferrari 360 for a "Supercar Run" yesterday, what a blast!  [he drove his Audi R8 V-10, others drove a Lamborghini Gallardo and a Porsche 997 Turbo S]

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3770 on: October 21, 2024, 10:51:41 am »
Came out of Chick-fil-A last week I think it was and someone was driving a McLaren. Talk about low to the ground...it would have been tough to get out of...bet it would be a blast to drive on the track.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3771 on: October 21, 2024, 02:20:24 pm »
Do you have a qualified transmission person not far from you which you could pay a certain amount to ....Would you consider purchasing a good,used transmission, to work with ?

Well, I have a hard time paying someone a lot of money to have all the fun when I can do it myself.  There aren't a lot of these transmissions around, and the ones that are out there go for big money.  Then you have a used transmission you don't know anything about until you go to considerable effort to get it back in the car.    If it has a problem, you are back to square one.  Of course, jobs like this are always easier the second time around. ;)

wow massive job!!!

It's a big job.  But the reason I bought the lift is for stuff like this.  The lift makes oil changes fun, but it is for jobs like this that it pays for itself.  Back before I got the lift, the clutch slave cylinder on my son's previous C5 needed to be fixed.  He paid over $1800 to have the work done, which involves much of the disassembly we did for this job.  I also bought a high lift transmission jack a couple of years ago which comes in handy for all kinds of jobs.  So we are well equipped to do it.

Hey Greg...  Sorry, I have no experience or interest for that matter in Corvettes after model year 1972. I'm a "chrome bumper" guy.

Perfectly understandable.  I am basically the same.  And I dislike complexity for complexity's sake.  But the power and handling of the newer cars is seductive.

Greg….. Good for you guys. I always prefer to fix things like that myself. I’m sure you will do a better job than any shop. Get the parts and sweat it out. Your son will appreciate the savings and learn to be “independent”. I love doing stuff like that with my son and there’s nothing better.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3772 on: October 21, 2024, 02:25:59 pm »
Some of you might remember the fuel tank rotted out on my 1980 FORD F350 plow truck last winter. I scooped an ancient fuel cell that was kicking around our race shop and installed it in the truck bed. It fit perfectly in a “crate” I built years ago, across the back. It holds a load of concrete blocks to add some weight in the tail.

Unfortunately someone tried to fix one of the outlet fittings with silicone and it started drooling a few months ago. I like to keep the truck in the house garage so I can drive straight out and down the driveway, after a heavy snow fall. Leaking fuel can stink up the place and it’s attached to the house…..

Drained the tank and pulled the bulkhead fitting out. Cheap, cracked plastic washers (over tightened) were the culprits. Local hydraulic shop provided a set of the correct steel washers with neoprene “0” rings imbedded in the ID. Problem solved.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2024, 02:45:16 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #3773 on: October 21, 2024, 03:54:28 pm »
Pulled the pontoon boat out of the lake.

Depressing time of year for you Northerners.   My buddy in MI has his boat "wrapped" with some sort of giant roll of plastic.  Do you do that too or just cover it?

Have a crew line up to go boating this Saturday, forecast appears perfect - Sunny and 81 degrees.  Our boat stays at the dock all year...

Right now it just has the regular docking cover on it, but I think we are going to have a mobile wrapping company come and do the plastic shrink wrap before it goes into the barn.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3774 on: October 21, 2024, 10:36:58 pm »
Your son will appreciate the savings and learn to be “independent”. I love doing stuff like that with my son and there’s nothing better.

Yes, the time spent with him on this has been great.  I am impressed with how good a mechanic he has become.
Greg
'75 CB750F