Author Topic: Newb Valve Clearance Questions  (Read 630 times)

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
Newb Valve Clearance Questions
« on: March 07, 2018, 06:56:45 pm »
Hey All,

I am setting the valve clearance for the first time. I haven't done this before. I understand the process overall but am a little lost on some details. I got brand new tappets so I had to install new screws and nuts. This is throwing me off from fully understanding the process.

I have number 1 @ TDC on the compression stroke. I understand the clearance numbers. My big question is should the tappet arm be lifted all the way up and then set the clearance??? I think that makes sense but I just need to be sure.... I know it is a dumb question.

I watched one video that said to put 2 and 3 on their respective compression stroke using the T 2-3 marking but the manual says to set all the "O's" with 1 @ TDC and then all the "X's" when 4 is @ TDC compression. I assumed this meant 2 and 3 as well?
75' CB550K -- Still in pieces but it rolls again!!!!

Offline Yamahawk

• IGOR!Come here IGOR! ...Yesss
  • Master
  • 1971 Honda CB750 Four K1
    • Kingdom Run Biker Church and Outreach
Re: Newb Valve Clearance Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 07:45:02 pm »
Your bike has 4 cylinders, 2 are up, and 2 are down at any given TDC. When you have cylinder #1 at TDC, there is also cylinder 4 at TDC. The X and O's are valves that can be set and can't at the same time as the ones on the compression stroke, and so you set them as well as the cylinder on the compression stroke, just an easier way to set all 8 valves. Seeing I don't have those instructions in front of me, your instructions will tell you which ones you can set, and which ones you don't respectively on each TDC.
I think I got that right... lol
Charlie
1971 CB750K1 (newest bike), 1996 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet (therapy bike), 1981 Yamaha XV920RH, 2006 Kawasaki Concours (retirement bike), 1975 Yamaha RD350 (race bike), 1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor (race bike), 1986 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja (race bike in progress), 1985 Honda Elite CH250, 1973 Yamaha GT1 80cc, 1974 Yamaha DT360 project bike.

The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Triumph, is for Good Men to do Nothing.
Edmund Burke

All Things work together for good, for those who love God and are the Called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

Though He slay me, Yet will I trust Him...
Job 13:15
will you trust Him...?

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:50:36 pm »

Offline Yamahawk

• IGOR!Come here IGOR! ...Yesss
  • Master
  • 1971 Honda CB750 Four K1
    • Kingdom Run Biker Church and Outreach
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:56:54 pm »
Good instructions, follow them
Charlie
1971 CB750K1 (newest bike), 1996 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet (therapy bike), 1981 Yamaha XV920RH, 2006 Kawasaki Concours (retirement bike), 1975 Yamaha RD350 (race bike), 1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor (race bike), 1986 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja (race bike in progress), 1985 Honda Elite CH250, 1973 Yamaha GT1 80cc, 1974 Yamaha DT360 project bike.

The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Triumph, is for Good Men to do Nothing.
Edmund Burke

All Things work together for good, for those who love God and are the Called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

Though He slay me, Yet will I trust Him...
Job 13:15
will you trust Him...?

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 07:57:31 pm »
It's not super complicated. The X and O chart saves a minute or three over setting each cylinder to TDC compression and adjusting both valves.
That's what I recommend for inexperienced owners.
Take all the plugs out, they make it tricky to set at TDC because of the compression.
Take all the tappet caps off.
Remove the round alternator cover. Use the flywheel (rotor) bolt head to turn the engine over - turn forward (CCW on the alternator) as turning reverse makes these instructions useless plus you will be also turning the starter motor - making rotation quite difficult.
Don't use the points cam nut unless you're very familiar with how much torque it will take before it breaks (not much). If you break it there will be much unfun. The rotor bolt should be tight enough to turn the engine over without coming loose but don't really reef on 'er.
Turn the engine while watching the rockers on #1, when the intake rocker moves up (valve closing) keep turning (~1/2 turn) but look in the advancer and watch for the 1-4 mark lined up with the pointer. It will be #1 TDC on compression stroke: both valves fully closed so their tappet clearances can be adjusted. (#2 & #3 will be at BDC on intake or power stroke... one each of their tappets can be adjusted - that's the X and O business - I think this TDC compression stroke only adjusting method is simpler to remember and only takes a bit longer)
Adjust #1 tappets, intake and exhaust.
Turn the engine one full crank rotation back to 1-4. This has #4 at TDC compression (it was at TDC exhaust before, with the exhaust valve just closing and the intake valve just opening... neither adjustable)
Adjust #4 tappets, intake and exhaust.
Rotate crank and watch the #2 intake tappet, again when it moves up rotate to the 2-3 mark. Adjust #2 tappets. One more turn back to 2-3, adjust #3 tappets.
Replace covers. Ride on.

Make sure the tappet lock nuts are TIGHT. These are hardened nuts on hardened tappets through hardened rockers, they will take a lot of torque and still be smiling. It's bad if they vibrate loose, and the rockers really shake. Take my word that you don't want to be looking for a nut and maybe tappet that dropped down into the main case.
Your feeler should be dragging - not free and not stuck tight - with the nut tight. This is a learned skill, leaving the "screw" just a bit too tight and then pulling it back to where the feeler is snug by tightening the lock nut.
Don't overtighten the tappet covers. The sealing is by the O-ring, just tighten enough that the caps won't rattle loose. These are a bugger to get off if overtight, and the 17mm head section will crack right out of the dome if overtorqued either direction.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 08:19:45 pm »
Thanks Bodi. Great detail. That all makes sense. The tappet arm will be at the top of its stoke once clearance is set, correct?