Author Topic: How do you know when to thin the herd?  (Read 6717 times)

Offline jakec

• Master
Re: How do you know when to thin the herd?
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2018, 09:54:19 am »
I've never regretted selling a bike, but there are plenty of bikes I regret not buying.
1970 CB750 K0 Stock
1970 CL350 K2 Stock
1975 CB400 F Stock
1977 CB750 F Hardtail

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2018, 11:42:29 pm »
Don, Larry Cargill on the CX list has been doing concours quality work in restoring nice bikes mechanically as well as cosmetically and selling them at Mecums. Want to chat with him about the experience and see his threads over on the CX500 Forums? He can give you pointers and tips. He now is known by the Mecum Vegas show folks and they encourage him and really are able to give background and brag on his bikes and past bikes, recognizing the quality.  Mecum does take a good bit for selling there and sometimes the buyers are strong with great bidding and sometimes not...really varies...even in same multi day auction or same day...

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2018, 06:58:10 pm »
Small update.... I have sold the 70 cb175 and the 71 cl175. sounds like a good start  right, buy I recently picked up a cb500 four and an 750A after I started this thread....no further ahead than when I started thinking  to thin the herd. Guess ya have to start somewhere. But jakec has made a very good point. Have to think a little harder about what this all means. Did I regret selling the 175's ? No, wasn't attached to them. I'm not attached to the 1100 wing project at all either, maybe I should sell that , and the 750a project I'm not attached to that maybe someone would be interested in that....I saw a couple of 550's on Craigslist this week.
   Nevermind, this still isn't working
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2018, 08:31:42 pm »
It's a sickness.............enjoy it while you can!😷
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2019, 09:29:55 pm »
 My wife gave me a green light on buying the roadster shop chassis for my 69 firebird. This may be the time, I think there are 12 bikes in the shop now. No action on facebook marketplace or several facebook selling pages.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:08:54 pm by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2019, 01:57:52 am »
12 isn't that many Don, I sold my BMW R1100GS and my Honda XR500 but the I bought some more, so I think we have 15 now. So much for me thinning the herd............. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2019, 03:31:57 am »
I've got 5 bikes with tags and insurance. 3 750's, 1 Goldwing(needs water pump) and 1 Harley. So Im way behind you Terry ;) I've thought about selling some or all over the years but never go through with it and more than likely never will :-\. Main thing now is not really having a place with plenty of room to work on them :(
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2019, 06:32:41 pm »
I've got 5 bikes with tags and insurance. 3 750's, 1 Goldwing(needs water pump) and 1 Harley. So Im way behind you Terry ;) I've thought about selling some or all over the years but never go through with it and more than likely never will :-\. Main thing now is not really having a place with plenty of room to work on them :(

yeah I know that feeling Dwight, and honestly I'd be just as happy with one one or two bikes (I couldn't ever give them away completely) but I bought them all for a reason, and that was that I actually like them all, and want to ride them all. I would like to sell half of them this summer though, just so I can get rid of the $300 per month I pay for storage, I'd rather put that into my retirement savings, as retirement is only a few years away, and I need to have plenty of project money for when I'm old and grey.(er) ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

ken65

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2019, 11:32:49 am »
Been humming and urring about sell the slabbie for 6 months now.
Thats usually the sign for me. It will free up just enough space and some cash  wont hurt.
Its hard to maintain a bike in ready to ride condition when you dont ride it.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2019, 01:21:11 pm »
 I love having the stuff and projects but am out of space and am considering priorities.   
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2019, 01:43:54 pm »
Thats usually the sign for me. It will free up just enough space and some cash  wont hurt.

Yep, sell it Ken, and buy an 1100! !D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2019, 03:03:14 pm »
My wife gave me a green light on buying the roadster shop chassis for my 69 firebird.

Hey Don...not sure what a roadster shop is, but my buddy has a TCI front subframe kit on his '68 'bird and that car handles like a dream!

https://www.fabquest.com/67-68-69-camaro-firebird-tci-coil-over-custom-ifs-front-clip-kit-base.html

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

ken65

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2019, 04:38:15 pm »

Thats the problem Terrance. Last time I sold 2 bikes in quick succession i bought 2 more.
Then I sold the FJ and ended replacing it with the bandit. Sold one of the LC's and replaced it with 2 bloody A/C rd350 projects.
 Im always bumping into mirrors , indicators , foot pegs or handle bars.
The only clear space in the place is the path to the beer fridge. :(

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2019, 04:50:02 pm »

Thats the problem Terrance. Last time I sold 2 bikes in quick succession i bought 2 more.
Then I sold the FJ and ended replacing it with the bandit. Sold one of the LC's and replaced it with 2 bloody A/C rd350 projects.
be glad you still have room for the beer fridge!  Sell the beer fridge and buy 3 more bikes.  I love that slabby though...
If it works good, it looks good...

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2019, 03:13:35 pm »

I know that feeling Ken, I sold my BMW R110GS (wish I hadn't) and bought another CB750, then my son bought his new Royal Enfield 650, so I sold my XR500RE and bought another RC51. I traded my unfinished ZZR1100 project bike to Spotty for his unfinished CB750 project plus a spare engine and a BSA C11G, saw a Troy Bilt 42" mower going cheap and bought that too, so now I have 15 bikes, 7 cars, 2 ride on mowers and not enough room to swing one of our 3 cats! ;D

ken65

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2019, 06:17:14 pm »
I'm glad we only have one cat. ha

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2019, 07:25:23 pm »
So.........are the other two in orbit as we speak?  ;D
The older I get the faster I was.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2019, 09:57:04 pm »
Ha ha, thats te good thing about cats, they can sleep on the roof. ;D

ken65

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2019, 09:55:32 pm »
Put the slabbie on ebay today.  Very sad.   Not sure how many beers will cheer me up.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2019, 01:12:03 am »
Ah well if it worries you too much Ken, let me know and I'll bid a million squillion brazillian dollars for it, and you'll be able to keep it. ;D

ken65

« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2019, 02:31:41 am »
Ah well if it worries you too much Ken, let me know and I'll bid a million squillion brazillian dollars for it, and you'll be able to keep it. ;D

Thanks Terrance, but it's was my call. I can barely ride the bloody thing anyway.  My R1 is comfortable compared to it plus I need the money and space. It needs to be on the road.  Having said that. Its a great bike.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2019, 04:26:56 am »
No worries Ken, I really need to sell some more bikes, but I can't decide which ones, and anyway, I'll probably win the lottery soon, so no need! ;D