Author Topic: How do you know when to thin the herd?  (Read 6663 times)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: How do you know when to thin the herd?
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 07:32:12 pm »
Thanks Steve, the house and garage will have to do me mate, houses here are horrendous prices (my little place is worth around $650K USD, and a bigger place would be more again, so maybe I should add another storey to my garage? ;D

Hey Terry...did not know real estate prices were so extreme there.   Building up is def the way to go!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 09:04:57 pm »
It's crazy Steve, my house is nothing special, but real estate prices here have quadrupled since I bought it 17 years ago. I've got a 3 car garage now but it's full to overflowing with bikes, machinery and parts (no cars, they're all parked outside) hence my build last year in the patio, which I actually prefer to my garage. I'd love to buy a place in my home town (1/2 the price of Melbourne realty) but my wife is a city girl, so that'll never happen...... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 09:58:08 pm »
 I bought a couple KZ's over winter, they need to go along with a 77K and a 72K. I'm not sure what to do with my brothers bought new k4 I can't really sell it but I haven't even gotten it running in a year. I already have 3 licensed and titled, a gl1000, a sandcast and a diecast. 
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 10:13:57 pm »
I started this hobby about 2012 and 2 or 3 yrs later ended up with close to a dozen (may be 11) bikes.  At one time I had to rotate commuting on 4 bikes, each day 100 miles round trip for about a year and half.  My co-workers were like “man, this guy got so many bikes!” Then I got burned out And down size the herd real fast. Now down to just one rider (2yrs and still tuning it), 2 non-runners, 1 current project in pieces, 1 in pieces on back burner.  Just not enough time in the day, and the DST to make matter worse...
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 11:17:23 pm »
Just not enough time in the day, and the DST to make matter worse...

"Daylight Savings Time"? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Yamahawk

• IGOR!Come here IGOR! ...Yesss
  • Master
  • 1971 Honda CB750 Four K1
    • Kingdom Run Biker Church and Outreach
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 04:50:06 am »
Just not enough time in the day, and the DST to make matter worse...

"Daylight Savings Time"? ;D
Yeah... some poofers Idea about more daylight, which as we all know cannot happen as there is only so much day and night at any given time... 24 hours combined, and you can't change that. There are two states here that don't subscribe to it, and they get along just fine. And that kinda pisses me off... oops wrong thread.
Charlie
1971 CB750K1 (newest bike), 1996 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet (therapy bike), 1981 Yamaha XV920RH, 2006 Kawasaki Concours (retirement bike), 1975 Yamaha RD350 (race bike), 1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor (race bike), 1986 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja (race bike in progress), 1985 Honda Elite CH250, 1973 Yamaha GT1 80cc, 1974 Yamaha DT360 project bike.

The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Triumph, is for Good Men to do Nothing.
Edmund Burke

All Things work together for good, for those who love God and are the Called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

Though He slay me, Yet will I trust Him...
Job 13:15
will you trust Him...?

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 08:24:10 am »
I remember 10 years ago, when 750F and 550 models were worth significantly less that K-K6 models.  People were practically giving away 650 models until a couple of years ago, too.  Prices have definitely increased here in California.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 06:33:21 pm »
Yeah, over here folks are asking big money for the previously unloved, but I don't know how many are actually selling Don? ;D

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2018, 09:27:29 am »
I had 10 street bikes all together at one time and the day came that it pissed me off.  I got tired of charging batteries, paying for registrations etc, so started the sell off.  The only one I still miss is the '87 GSX-R1100 I bought new.  Otherwise it was a relief to be rid of them.  I'm at 4 right now, which is about one too many.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2018, 01:04:34 pm »
 I have 8 and am buying one but it's sale season. 3 is the number for me.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2018, 02:22:43 am »
I've installed AGM's in several of them now so they stay charged a lot longer than the original lead acids, and if they do get to the stage where they won't crank them over enough to start, my little lithium jump battery that fits in my jacket pocket is enough to fire them up.

A good ride will recharge them and keep them charged for a few more months, which is handy for my bikes at the storage place, as there's no electricity available in my unit for trickle charging. I guess what I need to do is store the bikes with AGM's at the self storage place, and the ones without in my garage, where I can trickle charge them all year around. ;D   

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2018, 06:56:07 am »
... my little lithium jump battery that fits in my jacket pocket is enough to fire them up.

Hey Terry...like this one?  I'd like to get one.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-Lithium-Portable-030-0001-WH/dp/B00Q2E2QF0
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2018, 12:46:59 am »
Not that exact one Steve, but same sort of thing, bloody amazing, it'll spin the 2300cc Triumph Rocket III engine (or even my 1998 Ford Explorer 4 litre V6) over no problem at all, and as long as you've got big pockets in your jacket you can take it with you if you're worried about your battery. ;D

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2018, 02:01:06 am »
just make it your battery?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2018, 02:27:42 am »
I thought about it too Dave, but the instructions warn against it and electrikery is white mans magic, so I stay well clear of it............. ;D

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2018, 02:58:36 am »
yeah im only teasing,we know our bike charging systems don't suit these li ion jobbies,ill bet the instructions say to use the supplied charger anyway?i never believed a cigarette size box would work either until I watched one start the fork lift easy at our old shed!

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2018, 03:00:11 am »
I believe the issue is the recharge system needs to be constant and gentle rather than the peaks and troughs inherent in such ancient devices such as old hondas
i blame Terry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2018, 03:21:56 am »
Not to mention the violence inherent in the system! ;D

Offline Brookesy in Oz

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2018, 12:01:13 pm »
G'day Terry.

I'm back. Good to see your still around.
Honda CB750 K1 - awesome
Honda CB450 K5 - current project
Honda CB750 K2 - sold
Kawasaki Z1000 - sold

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2018, 12:45:25 pm »
Welcome back mate! ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2018, 08:48:18 am »
 Maybe it's time, There's three more in the other side of the shop.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ywYEYxjMK18rbb9F9

ken65

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2018, 09:01:01 pm »
Gee  you have some nice bikes there Don.

its a tough decision. In feb this year, I sold my XS1b and triumph bonneville
with the intention of making a bit of room but got two more bikes.
Then a few months ago I sold my FJ1200 and spent that money on restoring my H1.
A few weeks ago I listed my nice first year R1 but pulled it off ebay with 3 days left.
I just wasn't ready to part with it.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2018, 12:29:02 am »
Yeah, with 12 bikes and enough bits for a couple more it pains me to even think of selling any, and of course I love them all, so which ones do I sell? I think I've bought 2 more since my last post, so my plan to "thin the herd" hasn't gone as well as I'd liked? Oh well,, where there's life, there's hope......... ;D

Offline Greaser Greg

• I'm a liquor in the front and poker in the rear
  • Enthusiast
  • Motorcycles needed = # owned +1
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2018, 05:44:29 am »
When hell freezes over. Of course if it does I'll never know, because I'm not invited to the ex's house. 
Nothin matters, if ya don't mind.
74 CB550
78 CB750F
71 R5
71 R5 in progress
97 XL1200S
08 XL1200N
78 Hobbit
02 4trax 350
? Chinese 49cc mini rat/lightweight

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2018, 07:47:00 am »
 I moved a friends new to him 41 willys coupe, it took 3 days. One to move the bikes so I could put the race car in the shop, one to move the Willys and a third day to put it all back. Then two weeks later I did it again for 2 days to get it into winter mode.
 I planned on selling a couple this year but it didn't happen, I may try ebay or Mecum Vegas.