Author Topic: Any good low-buck painting tips?  (Read 6809 times)

Offline Rsnip988

• Expert
Re: Any good low-buck painting tips?
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2007, 10:53:29 pm »
thanks dave...

I had to grind mine down to metal to fill in the dents grrrrr stupid dents that wouldnt pop out of course
R.K.S.

1976 CB750 K6 Full

1976 CB750 K6 Cafe'ish

Offline Lumbee

• Expert
    • My pics...
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2007, 10:39:09 am »
I can't say enough about the rather new on the market two part primers and clear in a rattle can. Application and outcome is outstanding! Never have I used a rattle can with results equal to a pro gun except for this product. $22 per can.

With the epoxy primer you can skip the need for any sealers. The base coat can be just about anything w/o even the need for a 2 stage since it will be covered with 2 part clear. I've done the headlight buckets, gauges, battery holder, wheel centers, etc. and I couldn't be more pleased.

No mess, no fuss - just drop plunger on bottom of can, shake it up and fire away.

..hey Staph, I used my can of spraymax clear this weekend, and have a question.  When I put the red button the plunger underneath, and pushed, how far should that plunger move.  I sure couldn't get a difference when pushing down on it, didn't seem like it moved any at all.  I went ahead and sparyed, and it seemed OK, but I'm wondering if maybe I didn't get the hardener.
----------
"I'm not a welder, but I play one on HondaChopper.com"

Offline Master Ted

• Hot Shot
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2007, 10:48:25 am »
I know what you mean on the plunger as the clear seemed whimpy compared to the epoxy primer. I made sure it went down flush two or three times and held it a bit t/b sure hardner emptied into primary chamber. My results were fine as clear set up as expected.
CB750/K2

Offline Lumbee

• Expert
    • My pics...
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2007, 10:51:03 am »
...so u'r saying that red button should go down flush against the bottom of the can?
----------

Offline Master Ted

• Hot Shot
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2007, 11:29:09 am »
...so u'r saying that red button should go down flush against the bottom of the can?

Yepper... did you just push it down until it would go no further? That's all I did.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:32:13 am by staphcar »
CB750/K2

Offline Lumbee

• Expert
    • My pics...
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2007, 11:42:56 am »
...I put all my weight on it, and as far as I could tell, it didn't budge...does it spring back when u take pressue off it?
----------

Offline Master Ted

• Hot Shot
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2007, 12:41:38 pm »
As I recall the button would spring back ever so slightly and slowly. How does clear look and feel?
CB750/K2

Offline Lumbee

• Expert
    • My pics...
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2007, 12:56:17 pm »
...hmm, there was def. no spring to the plunger, and I don't think the red button was flush with the bottom.  The clear looked OK.  I must admit it looked pretty thin.  However, I don't have any experience with 2 part paints or hardener, so I'm not sure I know what to look for.  To be honest the can was expired.  I ordered it a few months back, and the manufacture date was 15Mar06, so technically it expired last week!   :-\  I gonna contact the guys I bought it from and see if I can get them to send me a new can..
----------

Offline Master Ted

• Hot Shot
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2007, 02:08:42 pm »
...hmm, there was def. no spring to the plunger, and I don't think the red button was flush with the bottom.  The clear looked OK.  I must admit it looked pretty thin.  However, I don't have any experience with 2 part paints or hardener, so I'm not sure I know what to look for.  To be honest the can was expired.  I ordered it a few months back, and the manufacture date was 15Mar06, so technically it expired last week!   :-\  I gonna contact the guys I bought it from and see if I can get them to send me a new can..

The viscosity was, if anything, lower than I normally see in rattle can paint. Clear went down heaver/thicker than the basecoat paint by a fair amount. If you painted yesterday the clear should be pretty darn hard today.
CB750/K2

Offline rhinoracer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2007, 03:57:10 pm »
If you were closer I'd give you some of my leftover metallig graphite. Auto paints aren't that expensive here. A pint is about $9 and you can do 3 or more complete bikes with that.
Baja native.