Author Topic: low budget Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD resto, Vintage Stereo & Amish to the rescue  (Read 19881 times)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Whilst awaiting arrival of AGM battery I decided to check out the $4 Yamaha RX-V2090 100 watt per channel receiver.   Terry, this generation of receivers can be had real cheap.  Anyhow, plugged it in and the dashboard lit up.
IMG_9479[1] by Lawrence Moulder, on Flickr

opened it up to check for extraordinary amounts of dirt or cat hair.  I had another receiver that I opened up and cleared out all the dirt, receiver worked before I did that but not after.  Looked good
IMG_9478[1] by Lawrence Moulder, on Flickr

Went to hook up a CD player but found this.   I did not want to use a drill to remove the broken RCA plug pins but had to.  Operation was a success,  Dr.  MoMo von Franck_En_Steen
IMG_0681[1] by Lawrence Moulder, on Flickr

Hooked up my circa 50's Garrard Tyoe A turntable , a JVC CD player and a pair of Canton Karat speakers.  All is good ;)   SWEET SOUND AND LOTS OF POWER

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
Whilst awaiting arrival of AGM battery I decided to check out the $4 Yamaha RX-V2090 100 watt per channel receiver.   Terry, this generation of receivers can be had real cheap.  Anyhow, plugged it in and the dashboard lit up.
IMG_9479[1] by Lawrence Moulder, on Flickr

opened it up to check for extraordinary amounts of dirt or cat hair.  I had another receiver that I opened up and cleared out all the dirt, receiver worked before I did that but not after.  Looked good
IMG_9478[1] by Lawrence Moulder, on Flickr

Went to hook up a CD player but found this.   I did not want to use a drill to remove the broken RCA plug pins but had to.  Operation was a success,  Dr.  MoMo von Franck_En_Steen
IMG_0681[1] by Lawrence Moulder, on Flickr

Hooked up my circa 50's Garrard Tyoe A turntable , a JVC CD player and a pair of Canton Karat speakers.  All is good ;)   SWEET SOUND AND LOTS OF POWER

problem with this unit is the unbelievable amount of jacks, waaaay too complicated for my simple mind
IMG_0679[1] by Lawrence Moulder, on Flickr

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
Nice find and i like your methodology. Spend the least amount of cash to determine exactly what you're working with before going hog wild on a tear down. I can never seem to get my hands on a cheap, complete, restorable  KZ but i'm still looking.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
Nice find and i like your methodology. Spend the least amount of cash to determine exactly what you're working with before going hog wild on a tear down. I can never seem to get my hands on a cheap, complete, restorable  KZ but i'm still looking.

My grandmother taught me well, live within your means, find the best price possible and buy what you need. The philosophy that got her through the depression. 

I wish this one was complete, missing side covers, rear lift bar, entire key set was butchered.  I've seen repop cover set for less than 100.  Key set could be a minor fortune as the LTD was only made a couple years, most likely same with the grab bar.  And the brakes to be top notch will need pistons, seals and lines.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:33:26 pm by MoMo »

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
Holy high notes Audioman , we have a new favorite speaker.
IMG_9480[1] by Lawrence Moulder, on Flickr

I hooked up my two dollar set of Boston Acoustics VR 40 speakers with Lynnfield tweeters this morning.  SOME REVIEWS:

"I just bought a pair of VR40's and think they are fantastic. Mine are a little underpowered being played through an ADCOM GFA 535, but we hear much more of the music than ever before.
If you can find a pair for $800-$900, buy them and don't look back. I too am seriously considering buying another pair."

"When I started looked for new speakers I had three thousand budgeted and started by listening to some high end speakers. When I finally found a pair I really liked (over five thousand) I compared them to the new VR40s. To be honest, the 40s outperformed them and all the energy models hands down."

Only problem is the missing grill and this small impression.  Any idea how to pop it back out?  I've tried turning the sound waaay up but that didn't work.

IMG_9481[1] by Lawrence Moulder, on Flickr

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
A tiny dot of superglue on a match head Larry? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
A vacuum cleaner will pull that.
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
Excellent idea Killer, sounds as though you've done that.   I'll give it a shot and post the results.  As is it shouldn't affect the sound but it bothers me(it isn't right).

The proper battery is here as well as an all day rain so the KZ was not ridden. It is an 18 amp hour no name AGM but I'm sure it will suffice.  I normally buy Scorpion batteries but the proper size was 20$ more than this.  The positive cable terminal was missing from day one.  The replacement I put on is open but nothing metal comes within an inch or two of it.  I will insulate it though at some point. At least the battery is the proper physical size and not flop around like the smaller, dead cell one did.

IMG_9457[1] by Lawrence Moulder, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:50:21 pm by MoMo »

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
IMG_0687[1] by Lawrence Moulder, on Flickr

operation a success 8)  thanks Killer

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
No prob. 8)
Two weeks ago my boss gave me a pristine pair of Sansui SP1700s.
They get mixed reviews, but they really fill the shed with sound.
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
No prob. 8)
Two weeks ago my boss gave me a pristine pair of Sansui SP1700s.
They get mixed reviews, but they really fill the shed with sound.

I have a pair of Sansui S-815 floor speakers hooked up to a Technics receiver in my summer bedroom.  Nice sound but not  close to the BA I just "stole". Second to the BA are a pair of McIntosh XD-715 that are disconnected and awaiting sale. I haven't used the Bose 901 pair at all, that set could be close to the McIntosh although I do not have the equalizer.  Regards

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
still dealing with all day rain, supposed to rain the next 4 days ??? no test ride of course

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
Finally stopped raining long enough to get out on the KZ.  I don't know if that line of motors is particularly cold natured but mine takes several cranks to fire up even though it is in the 60's and will not idle off choke for several minutes. Then it is good to go. Helmet and jacket on and off I went, just around the block.  All gears present, clutch works fine, gobs of power, braking marginal.  Not bad for $80 total expenditure. Need to check and make sure bike is legit before putting real money into it.  Like:  200 for tires, at least another 200 for brake pistons, seals and lines, 100 for side covers, 30 for taillight lens,  ?for lift bar if I can find one.  Of course I will research to find the lowest possible price..  Couple hundred for Vermont registration.

So I would probably have 1200-1300 into what would be a good to very good condition motorsickle(sorry Arlo I'd rather have this than a pickle) that has a NADA value range of 1400 to 2100. Maybe the market could bring more?  Or I could sell it as is for ????  Any thoughts?

• Really Old Timer ...
Well you haven't actually posted a pic of the bike complete with the tank and seat on it etc Larry, so kind of hard to imagine what it'd be worth, as is? Personally, if you're looking for max return, sell it now as a good running bike, and let the new buyer spend his money on tires/brakes etc, for all you know the potential buyer might be a Kawasaki guy and have some of those parts already, or knows where he can get them cheaper than you can? Cheers, Terry. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
Well you haven't actually posted a pic of the bike complete with the tank and seat on it etc Larry, so kind of hard to imagine what it'd be worth, as is? Personally, if you're looking for max return, sell it now as a good running bike, and let the new buyer spend his money on tires/brakes etc, for all you know the potential buyer might be a Kawasaki guy and have some of those parts already, or knows where he can get them cheaper than you can? Cheers, Terry. ;D 
that is good advice
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
that is good advice

I am leaning that way.  At work now but will take photos of "finished" bike whenever it stops raining( supposedly days from now) and post....Larry

• Really Old Timer ...
No worries Larry, it's cold and threatening rain here today too, I want to go for a ride but I'm having problems motivating myself, so it might be a tomorrow job............ ;D

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
On the negative side.  I started the Ninja 600 as it hasn't been turned over in a week or so. Last time I rode it the carbs decided to flood, had to give full throttle to clear it out but it ran fine the entire mini trip.  Pulled the clutch in today. to start, almost an inch of free play, went from normal to that while sitting.  Must say I've never experienced anything like that

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
No worries Larry, it's cold and threatening rain here today too, I want to go for a ride but I'm having problems motivating myself, so it might be a tomorrow job............ ;D

I wouldn't count on that, check the forecast for tomorrow...not sure about your side of town but its going to chuck it down here. Maybe a day in the workshop/bunker looking at the clutch bits on the vmax and drinking beer if there's any left
i blame Terry

• Really Old Timer ...
Ha ha, well I only said I "want" to go for a ride Spotty, but if the weather's gonna be miserable, I'll be happy enough to ride my recliner instead........... ;D

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
So much for talking you out of the BA speakers...would be a cold dead hands event now...
Boston Acoustics were always my favorites and sound so great, even their smaller stuff sounds very very good.
Never liked boomy speakers that would tweak or were weighted in their sound towards the low end.  Would much rather have the ability to tune that with a nice EQ if I wanted that.  The McIntosh tube amps have a nice warm sound to me that you just don't get with other equipment that isn't tube equipment I think.
But, some hearing loss has me have a few frequency drop-outs I didn't have when I was very young.

Sounds like I will have to settle for buying your McIntosh speakers, they are no slouch I am certain.

Sounds like I need to give you a find list and finders fee to source some things for me as you are a shrewd shopper with discriminating taste and know how to get a deal.

David

Holy high notes Audioman , we have a new favorite speaker.
IMG_9480[1] by Lawrence Moulder, on Flickr

I hooked up my two dollar set of Boston Acoustics VR 40 speakers with Lynnfield tweeters this morning.  SOME REVIEWS:

"I just bought a pair of VR40's and think they are fantastic. Mine are a little underpowered being played through an ADCOM GFA 535, but we hear much more of the music than ever before.
If you can find a pair for $800-$900, buy them and don't look back. I too am seriously considering buying another pair."

"When I started looked for new speakers I had three thousand budgeted and started by listening to some high end speakers. When I finally found a pair I really liked (over five thousand) I compared them to the new VR40s. To be honest, the 40s outperformed them and all the energy models hands down."

Only problem is the missing grill and this small impression.  Any idea how to pop it back out?  I've tried turning the sound waaay up but that didn't work.

IMG_9481[1] by Lawrence Moulder, on Flickr
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
David,  the McIntosh are XD-715 that were 600 each "back in the  day"  whenever that was escapes me ::).   I  have a set of DCM that came with the Onkyo surround stereo that fit your description of bassy,  sound great for rock don't have the high response that my old ears have difficulty hearing

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Bose were notorious for having some heavier weighted bass output which was what people wanted in the days of hard rock and even metal.  I don't listen to hard rock or metal and really never did.  Am not a fan of the heavy bass so many cars roll with vibrating sheet metal on their car and yours...

Nothing with a McIntosh badge on it was ever cheap back in the day.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
On a vaguely related matter, I recently killed my 30 year old rotel amp which has done magnificent service to 3 owners and many parties and DJ nights. It seems that getting transported on it's side in the back of the car one more time was one more time too many

And much as I love the sound and look of vintage/retro/secondhand or whatever you want to call it, I'm dubious about scrounging around for someone else's worn out cast offs

So just out of interest I had a quick eBay..

FCUK ME...

2000W amps for just over $100...I'm not going to pretend they'll be the warmest or sharpest sound for the aficionados but I listen to loud/fast /short and absolute blistering volume is my want/need/passion

I realise that they will be listing peak power at around 1000W but that should still be enough to push my 600W capable PA speakers ( that's per speaker ) to somewhere near their limits

I fully respect the needs and loves of folk who persevere with old electronics , after all we do the same with our sohc's rather than just going for something shiny and new that actually handles_stops and goes like $hit off a shovel
i blame Terry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
Yep, Spotty---in the words of Jethro Tull. we are "living in the past". 

I love the design of old systems,  walnut cabinets and aluminum or stainless fronts.  At least I can read the words, on a modern black system I cannot see the words- need an accessory flashlight to see.