Author Topic: Response to throttle  (Read 712 times)

Offline Shepusa

Response to throttle
« on: May 29, 2018, 03:02:12 pm »
Got my 73 350F on the road. Have a question about throttle reponse when riding.
At steady speed - say 40mph in 5th - a bit below 4000rpm when I give more throttle the bike stutters / hesitates then will pick it up and go. Sometimes it works better when I roll off the throttle for a second and then apply.
Thoughts on how to troubleshoot, and what it might be ?

Thanks folks

Simon

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Response to throttle
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 05:00:17 am »
Yeah, stop lugging your motor!  :o 4k rpms in 5th gear is on the low end, so whacking the throttle will produce those results. These are not fuel injected, electronically controlled engines; they're mechanical carbs and the motor needs high revs to perform. Downshift, rev up above 6k and see how it goes.

Too many think because these bikes are 40 years old they need to be nursed along. Couldn't be further from the truth. If you want it to last and run well, run it up the tach. 6k-9.5k is the sweet spot for the motor. Riding around at 2.5k-4k will make for an unhappy motor.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 06:50:47 am »
+1 to calj.
4000rpm is below the power-band.
My cruising rpm was always +/- 6000.  Nothing but good things above that  ;D
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline Shepusa

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 04:02:51 pm »
Thanks guys, I will try that.

Offline Shepusa

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 09:39:30 am »
Update
Went for a run today and keeping it up the revs seemed to help. To be honest on the country roads I am riding on I would probably have to be in third at 40 to keep it close to 6000.
Does that sound right for gearing ?

Also, I have been leaning up the mix as the plugs are sooty black when I pull them but that is perhaps also aggravated by not keeping the revs up.

Could the choke be set in the wrong position. It starts first touch with no choke ?

Thanks
Simon

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 10:28:12 am »
Update
Went for a run today and keeping it up the revs seemed to help. To be honest on the country roads I am riding on I would probably have to be in third at 40 to keep it close to 6000.
Does that sound right for gearing ?  Yes

Also, I have been leaning up the mix as the plugs are sooty black when I pull them but that is perhaps also aggravated by not keeping the revs up. Caution: only evaluate your plugs with fresh clean plugs based upon specific throttle positions. If you ride, then pull your plugs, you have no earthly idea which throttle position is causing them to soot up.

It is also possible that you have some weak spark issues...

Could the choke be set in the wrong position. It starts first touch with no choke ? You would not be the first to operate the choke in reverse. The choke lever should be "down" for the choke to OFF. Up, the butterfly valves are closed, thereby restricting airflow and enriching your AF mix. Which way are you riding it?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis