Author Topic: primary chain preventive maintenance  (Read 2492 times)

Offline sammon287

primary chain preventive maintenance
« on: June 19, 2018, 09:36:35 am »
  I understand the 750A primary chain is pretty strong and reliable. Mine looks fine with 18k miles.  The fixed guides on the top and bottom case also look OK, with no significant wear or gouges. Aside from various oil leaks, the reason I completely stripped the engine was to look for mechanical causes for the loud clacking noise on cold start and low idle. I always thought it was from the primary chain, and since everything else looks perfect, I still do. I wonder if the hardness of the old guides makes the noise worse. Only one of the two guides is available from CMSL and it's expensive. Are they normally pretty hard, or should the guide be more flexible? Should I bother replacing the expensive chain with only 18k miles? Should I just expect to still have that awful noise after a full engine rebuild? (It's not together yet)
1976 CB750A

Offline kmb69

• Master
Re: primary chain preventive maintenance
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 12:48:21 pm »
  I understand the 750A primary chain is pretty strong and reliable. Mine looks fine with 18k miles.  The fixed guides on the top and bottom case also look OK, with no significant wear or gouges. Aside from various oil leaks, the reason I completely stripped the engine was to look for mechanical causes for the loud clacking noise on cold start and low idle. I always thought it was from the primary chain, and since everything else looks perfect, I still do. I wonder if the hardness of the old guides makes the noise worse. Only one of the two guides is available from CMSL and it's expensive. Are they normally pretty hard, or should the guide be more flexible? Should I bother replacing the expensive chain with only 18k miles? Should I just expect to still have that awful noise after a full engine rebuild? (It's not together yet)

Check the springs in the primary damper. I have yet to tear an automatic down that did not have primary damper springs busted up in multiple pieces.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 01:03:44 pm »
Check piston skirts for signs of wear and skuffing. Piston slap makes an awful racket until warmed up.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Medyo Bastos

• Master
  • Gusto mo titi ko?
    • project
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 03:24:08 pm »
Sync carbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sammon287

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 06:32:27 am »

Check the springs in the primary damper. I have yet to tear an automatic down that did not have primary damper springs busted up in multiple pieces.

I can only find reference to primary damper springs in the 400A. Is this a thing on 750A's also?
1976 CB750A

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 08:32:04 am »
  I can only find reference to primary damper springs in the 400A. Is this a thing on 750A's also?

Yes. They are in the primary gear driving the torque converter outer/pump.
This is the biggest design flaw in the Automatics in my opinion.
Honda had room to put a nice damper system in the HyVo primary gear/sprocket.

JTMarks77 sells replacements on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-750-Input-Shaft-23110-393-010-23110-393-020-23110-393-030-Springs-CB750A/331671472951?hash=item4d39290b37:g:LbIAAOSwLF1X48mQ

Offline sammon287

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 09:21:10 am »
Great info. Thanks. Should I replace the springs even if mine aren't broken? I was considering not doing any further disassembly, but now I'll take that sub-assembly apart. I think I have some gaskets for it.
1976 CB750A

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 09:01:30 pm »
Great info. Thanks. Should I replace the springs even if mine aren't broken? I was considering not doing any further disassembly, but now I'll take that sub-assembly apart. I think I have some gaskets for it.

I would say at 18k miles, yes. Be surprised if none are broken. If you already have the cases split to address the primary, it's the perfect time. No additional gaskets needed if the cases are open.

Offline sammon287

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 04:42:47 am »
  I'll definitely replace them. Thanks for the tip. I still have to order rings, bearings, and a few other things anyway.
1976 CB750A

Offline sammon287

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 08:16:39 am »
I just looked and my springs are broken. I have never been happy to find broken parts before. Maybe their replacement will help with the noise I was hearing.
1976 CB750A

Offline jukku

• Enthusiast
  • Happy with my Hondamatic
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 05:45:09 am »
Pics of ok and broken spring.

Offline underdog

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 06:17:31 am »
    Are the replacement springs any better? Replacing bad product with the same doesn't really make sense. My thought is that since its an auto, perhaps simply making it solid might be more sensible. Has anyone tried this? A few of mine were broken also, and I was advised to just put it back together that way because they'll break shortly anyway, particularly with a higher HP engine. I'm just pondering the problem and considering ideas. 

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 06:53:46 am »
    Are the replacement springs any better? Replacing bad product with the same doesn't really make sense. My thought is that since its an auto, perhaps simply making it solid might be more sensible. Has anyone tried this? A few of mine were broken also, and I was advised to just put it back together that way because they'll break shortly anyway, particularly with a higher HP engine. I'm just pondering the problem and considering ideas. 

Damn good question that I can't answer. I bought some of JT's springs and they appear to be aftermarket. Rebuilt one of my dampers with them but I have not run it yet. They look better to me than the originals but maybe that's wishful thinking. Maybe somebody on the forum can provide some feedback since JT has sold a bunch of those replacement sets.

Not sure about running the primary solid even though we have a torque converter. Honda must have believed they needed a damper system to make them to come up with the clusterf#$k they came up with.

I am building an automatic based dragbike right now and am running that gear solid but have designed a damper for the primary shaft cause I just don't know.

Offline underdog

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 08:27:58 am »
 I'm just finishing up my auto dragbike as well and I'm second guessing myself for putting it back together that way. As it relates the this thread, I cant imagine all that slack  is very healthy for the primary chain either. Probably less for us because we likely have the springs compressed at the staring line, but every motion from throttle open to closed must have some sort of hit to it.

Offline sammon287

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 06:26:58 pm »
I have the input shaft/damper disassembled and noticed there are punch marks on the inside of the damper side plates (one on each) that press onto the shaft. If the dots are aligned with each other for reassembly, the ports for the springs and pins don't line up. Is there anything to consider when pressing the splined parts back on the input shaft? I oriented one of the four small notches inside the first plate with the oil feed hole on the splined part of the shaft. That makes more of the oil hole clear before the other parts are pressed on. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 06:37:09 pm by sammon287 »
1976 CB750A