Author Topic: project cafe  (Read 32199 times)

masonryman

Re: Re-start project cafe
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2009, 08:05:31 pm »
O.k. it's time to start connecting the dots I think I can get brake line made up where I get hyd hose made but I have no idea where to order custom cables. I am also thinking about a cable operated rear brake, any thoughts?

Offline coyotecowboy

• Hot Shot
  • Easily Distracted
    • American Legion Riders Post 69 Medicine Lodge, Ks
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2009, 05:23:13 pm »
A cable operated rear brake shouldnt be too big of a deal.  Just need to have a stationary mount on each end, one on the swingarm using your stock brake arm to keep the geometry right and another on the frame aft of your brake pedal.  I'd probably put it on the top side of the swingarm and flip the brake arm, then you could snake it to your brake pedal. 

I'm not sure where to get cables made up, I'll have to ask Dad.  He had some made for a one-off combine/loader contraption (don't ask  :D )  They were pretty slick, capable of pushing as much as they were pulling.
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad

http://www.alrpost69.com/

Sunrise Orange 750 K2

1981 Husqvarna 430 XC, "Inga"

masonryman

« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2009, 05:37:33 pm »
I have flipped the brake lever over and fabbed up a brake pedal, I just hadn't decided on hardware for the pivot points in the linkage. I have seen some cable setup that look pretty cool, I just really don't know which would work better

Offline Joel

• Hot Shot
« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2009, 07:08:03 pm »
Are there any disadvantages to flipping the brake lever over to the top of the axle?

Offline coyotecowboy

• Hot Shot
  • Easily Distracted
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2009, 09:02:08 pm »
none that I can see.  you just have to make sure that it has that same orientation as it does when its pointed down (basically vertical when the brakes are released)

Sunrise Orange 750 K2

masonryman

« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2009, 04:37:59 pm »
Rear break problem solved. I used part of what I started awhile ago along with the stock pull bar, a newly fabed up break pedel and a small ball and scoket joint made for a throttle linkage. It turned out pretty well.

Mark

Offline coyotecowboy

• Hot Shot
  • Easily Distracted
« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2009, 10:41:50 am »
Thats good, because if I remember right, those cables were some high-dollar sumbeeches!! :o

Sunrise Orange 750 K2

masonryman

« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2009, 01:40:28 pm »
I have been working on the bike, an hour or two, at a time and have made some good progress. I have made it over a couple walls that there seems to be in every project.

I have welded up the rear end of the gas tank and done some body work on the frame and seat, in doing so I have fabricated the front latch mechanism for the seat to frame. I still need the make the seat pan to which the padded part of the seat will attach

The rear break lever turned out pretty well and I will be giving the gear shift lever the same treatment soon.

The fairing brackets have been removed trued up and welded.

Soon parts will start being sandblasted and coated then it will start to look like something.

Mark

masonryman

« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2009, 07:28:32 am »

masonryman

project cafe/ starting on the engine
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2009, 07:16:54 pm »
I felt that I wanted to have a complete upper end to experment with from pods to valves, and a mostly stock set in case I screw up the first and I want to ride.

I just bought a head,  a 1976 cb 550 ss head with cam but not the valve cover/ rocker assembly. I think the wear in the bearing area is fine but the cam has some pitting right on the end of the lobes, the 1st and 3rd from left to right.

The cam was just thrown in so no biggie one way or another. from the marks on the cam journals it looks like the bike had been sitting is it possible these pits are from rust or is this a common find in these old bike. does any one do regrinds on these cams to get more lift

Mark
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 07:27:46 pm by masonryman »

Offline cdoggy81

• Enthusiast
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2009, 07:38:21 pm »

masonryman

project cafe
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2009, 08:10:26 pm »
Spent a couple hours welding and grinding on the seat, on Fri, just a little more work around the tail light and a couple rubber bumpers and the seat base will be ready for body work.

@ the Web cams web site it states that you need hipo pistons with the hipo cam any idea what kinda compression they are looking for?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:57:50 pm by masonryman »

masonryman

« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2009, 06:59:06 pm »
More welding and grinding on the seat and tank. I have a couple pieces of 1/4 rod to put in place to trim out a few edges. I also made and installed the tail light mounts and bought the turn signal lights to be recessed in the seat.

It won't be long, the next session or two, i will sand blasting and priming the tank and seat. 

masonryman

« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2009, 06:47:25 pm »
Still messing with the seat I can't seem to move on. I welded a 1/4" rod around most edges, I think it made it look much better. It will make it look much more professional when completed I am done with the base and will be moving to the base for the pad part of the seat.

Next pics of the seat will include bondo and primer. I swear ::)

masonryman

« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2009, 05:41:27 pm »
I just came in from the shop and today I finished the battry box and mounted it, It turned out pretty well. I have been avoiding that task for a while and I am glad it is done, we will have to see how much I like it tommorrow.

At this point the temptation to tidy it up a bit and take it for a ride is getting pretty hard to control but I know it would just be a set back so I will just press on.

Mark

masonryman

« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2009, 06:50:01 pm »
A few hours at a time, I have to admit I am starting to get giddy as a school girl.

Sand blasted and put so primer on the tank and seat base. I have started hooking up and testing controls, up dating electric components and sorting out the wiring, this will keep me busy during dry times in the body work process.

Offline alltherightpills

• Expert
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2009, 08:09:18 pm »
Looking really good MM.  I see a BOTM in your future.
78 550K
77 550K (in pieces)
71 500K0 (in pieces)

masonryman

project cafe cb550
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2009, 08:23:55 pm »
Lets not get ahead of ourselves.........

But I do plan on it being painted and riding it buy the end of April.

Mark

masonryman

project cafe
« Reply #168 on: March 28, 2009, 04:14:09 pm »
I spent most of the day working on wiring, I have the ignition, starting and charging portion of the wiring harness done. The bike starts, runs and charges, shuts on and off using the controls on the bars.

For my next trick; Headlight, taillight/breaklight and turn signals. What a pain in the rear, this is my least favorite part of this, please make it end.

On a brighter note I got to start and stop the engine several times. I need to get a manometer to sync the carbs, the new ignition system, points, coils, wires, and control box put out a smokin hot blue spark.

Mark

masonryman

project cafe
« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2009, 05:26:56 pm »
Today after work I made the seat pan, ready for paint, foam and a cover.

Here is the rough layout in the space under the seat. At this point this is all the wiring in the bike, I have picked up the stuff to make the solid state regulator/rectifier, they will also mount in this compartment when completed

And here is the battery box

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 06:41:20 pm by masonryman »

masonryman

« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2009, 06:44:37 pm »
I have got some small led marker lights for turn siginals, a hole will have to be cut in the seat, I don't no if they should mount low (in the wide part) or high in the same plane with the tail light.

Thoughts??

Mark

billybobobrain

« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2009, 09:16:34 pm »
Youre motivating me to get out to the old garage and finish my bike. Nice job!

masonryman

« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2009, 07:56:37 pm »
Youre motivating me to get out to the old garage and finish my bike. Nice job!

Thanks

If it wer'nt for this site this bike would be e-bay parts

Mark

masonryman

project cafe turn signal location
« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2009, 08:03:29 pm »

I am looking for input on turn signal location A, B or C. I will have to cut a hole they are little rectangle LED'S that will mount from inside.

Offline papp101

• Enthusiast
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2009, 12:32:06 am »

I vote B.

A is the "specialty" portion of the tail piece, acting as if it's mounted above the other.

C looks like some schmuck tried to mount all the parts in too small a place, despite it's leaving the outsides clean.

B is minimal and yet effective.

God I love those pipes. Help me Jesus, for I am coveting my neighbors goods right now.