Author Topic: project cafe  (Read 32229 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Re-start project cafe
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2007, 10:46:12 pm »
and buy the way Terry in Australia I built this set with the cross over because

1 oil filter
2  I was just guessing about the firing order ::)
3 the angles made the joints easier to make and it looks cool  8)

If I do build another set I will go 1 into 4 and 2 into 3

just for you

Later

Mark

G'Day Mark, well if you do go the "tuned header" route mate, I might buy a set myself! (for a 750, of course.....) See if you can do them like these on my bike. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
    • old japanese parts and bikes
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2007, 04:45:15 am »
Mark,
what kind of coarting are you going with on the pipes?
Laugh at least once a day.
Life  $ucks, then you die.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.
God forces us to live with  non-believers to test our resolve.

masonryman

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2007, 01:08:25 pm »
I'm not sure yet, will have to see how it all turns out, if I like the way the hole project comes together I will probley build a set out of stainless steel. $$$$$$$

Mark

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2007, 08:11:51 am »
Mark,
what kind of coarting are you going with on the pipes?

Polished cermaic coated silver would look tight on those pipes..
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

masonryman

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2007, 07:34:56 pm »
Mark,
what kind of coating are you going with on the pipes?

Polished ceramic coated silver would look tight on those pipes..
I just got done looking at sites that do the coating and that might be a good idea.

Probably cheaper than building a stainless set

Offline mrblasty

• Expertly
  • Expert
  • I can bunny hop my 750 #$%*es
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2007, 11:19:53 pm »
Great imagination, good work, You are an artist whose medium is motorcycle.
I farted and made my son cry.
1973 Honda CB 750
1975 GL 1000
1975 Yamaha XS650 The Swamp Donkey

Offline canttuckmyshirt

• Enthusiast
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2007, 10:50:36 am »
Any chance that you would make another set of pipes for resale  ;)
72 CB500, Abe Henry wheels
77 CB550, resto-mod

04 S2000, LS1 V8

masonryman

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2007, 06:20:58 pm »
Any chance that you would make another set of pipes for resale ;)

Maybe, the problem is I would need to find a stock bike because I have changed the frame on my bike a good bit.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2007, 10:11:21 am »

Hey Mark,

Didn't you once say that you lowered the frame rails so the seat would be lower or am I thinking about someone else? ??? Anyway, would you mind telling what kind of frame mods you did? I'd certainly be interested to know, as I'd like to check out an exhaust system like what you did. I really like the way you tucked it in real close and all. It never ceases to amaze me at the different ideas that pop up here and how they are executed. I'm thinking 4 individual pipes with megaphones but, I'm not solid on that and have plenty of time to decide which way to go. Keep up the great work and I'll catch you later on,  Bill :) ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

masonryman

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2007, 02:29:45 pm »
yes I did do some cutting on the top frame rails and behind the shock mounts, I am nearing an end in the major construction faze. The seat pan, seat, foam pan and rear sets are all near complete, roughed together anyway and you've seen the exhaust.

It's about time to start cleaning it up, I'll get some progress pic up by this weekend.

Mark

masonryman

« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2007, 05:19:07 pm »
here are some pics of

seat pan, seat, pad

home made rear set, gear shift, bushings, pins and safty wir to be added later

bike in one pile

Mark

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2007, 09:10:20 am »
Looking good...
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2007, 12:19:46 pm »
You might want to reconsider their height Mark, they look a bit low, and will probably "hit the deck" around some corners, but they do look solid enough, for sure. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2007, 12:40:09 pm »

Hey Mark,

I dooooooo like that look. 8) Keep up the good work and keep on keeping us posted. ;)

Later on, Bill :) ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

masonryman

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2007, 02:47:33 am »
You might want to reconsider their height Mark, they look a bit low, and will probably "hit the deck" around some corners, but they do look solid enough, for sure. Cheers, Terry. ;D

I am going to change the foot peg part and dress it up a little, when I do I am going to make them shorter so they don't stick out so far, right now they are almost 10" off the fround when the taller shocks go on I think they will be about 11.25 off the ground. I think I will be sliding before they are draging, but only time will tell.

Mark

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2007, 03:53:40 am »
No worries Mark, I know it's only "early days" yet, but the current peg position appears to be below the height of alternator cover, and it's not too hard to ground the alternator cover in a corner mate, even with a jacked up rear end.

Here's a pic of a cheap set of late model GSXR Suzuki rearsets that I modified to suit a CB750 frame, I'm tall (6'4") so I didn't put them up too high, or too far back. Cheers, Terry. ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 03:57:38 am by Terry in Australia »

Offline CrisPDuk

• Christ on a bike! Me, an
  • Expert
  • Oh happy day! 3rd December 2005
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2007, 04:09:06 am »
Terry, you must be a mind reader ;)

I was just starting to think about how I'd approach my rearsets conundrum and up you pop with a solution ;D

What rear hub did you use for the disc brake?
Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2007, 01:37:29 pm »
G'Day Crispy, the rearsets are late model GSXR600/750/1000 items, with Lockhart/Phillips height-adjustable pegs. (that look really cool and are useful if the donor bike has been down the road and grounded the OEM pegs)

The mounting plate is just some 1 inch x 1/4 inch strap drilled for the 8mm screws and welded to the frame, the threaded "push-rod" for the brake MC has to be shortened about 20mm or else the pedal will be angled up instead of down,, and on the gear lever side, you'll need to fab up a special pushrod with both 6mm right-hand and left-hand threads, so you can use the OEM Suzuki rose-joints.

The splines in the Suzuki shift lever are coarser than the Honda's, so I cut and modified an old CB750 lever which I machined to accept the rose-joint off the Suzuki lever. It took me a day to make them, but they're cheap (just like me) and don't detract from the "period" racer look. If anyone would like some for their bike and don't have the machinery to make 'em fit, I might be persuaded to do some more.......... 

The rear wheel is off a race bike of the period, it's an F1 hub laced to a Borrani WM5 alloy rim, and the hub is fitted with a trick cast-iron racing disc, it's very thin and light compared to the OEM boat-anchor, only about 4.5mm thk. I fitted a new Bridgestone BT45 rear tire, but it hasn't been needed for anything else but to hold the rim off the ground so far, ha ha! ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 01:42:55 pm by Terry in Australia »

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2007, 10:00:32 pm »
hmmmm i like the idea there terry..would def be interested in a modfied CB shift lever for doing this to my K4 when the time comes...what years of GSXR should i locate the rearsets from?
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2007, 12:24:09 am »
G'Day Mate, no worries, the year doesn't really matter, just find a pair of rear sets that you like, and I'll make 'em fit, ok? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2007, 04:45:06 am »

Hey Terry,

While I like the idea of the 3 piece frame clamps, like Greg (of Ohiocaferacers) uses, I may have to fab up a pair of weld-on mounts to get the rearsets where I want them on my 550. That is a very nice setup you have there! 8) I have a set of RC51 rearsets that I'm working with on this one.
                BTW, not trying to take away from the work that Mark is doing. I really like where he's going with that bike of his too. ;) 8)

Member # 1969

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2007, 11:15:41 am »
these 3 piece clamps you speak of bill...do they allow the use of rearsets without having to weld tabs to the frame to accept them?
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2007, 09:04:49 pm »

Hey Terry,

While I like the idea of the 3 piece frame clamps, like Greg (of Ohiocaferacers) uses, I may have to fab up a pair of weld-on mounts to get the rearsets where I want them on my 550. That is a very nice setup you have there! 8) I have a set of RC51 rearsets that I'm working with on this one.
                BTW, not trying to take away from the work that Mark is doing. I really like where he's going with that bike of his too. ;) 8)

Yeah, no worries Bill, RC51 pegs eh? That's pretty fancy mate! I've seen "clamp on" rearsets back in the day, but they were pretty awful even then, and they haven't improved with age any...........Cheers, Terry. :)

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2007, 10:22:47 pm »
these 3 piece clamps you speak of bill...do they allow the use of rearsets without having to weld tabs to the frame to accept them?

Well, Greg (ohiocaferacers.com) used them on his CB350 Cafe Build and, if I can get them positioned to suit me, I'm using them too.

Member # 1969

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2007, 10:44:56 pm »

I don't know Terry, those 3 piece frame clamps from Dennis Kirk, seem to be pretty much the ticket. Then again, if I can't get them low enough on the frame (after I cut off the loops of my 77' CB550K frame, where the rear footrests and the mufflers bolt to), then (like I said) I may have to make a couple of mount plates and weld them on so I can bolt the rearsets to them. We'll just have to see how it goes. ;) Catch you later on Terry :) ;)

Bill
Member # 1969