Author Topic: project cafe  (Read 32230 times)

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
Re: Re-start project cafe
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2007, 08:43:56 am »
Now that looks the part 8)
I agree...
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

upperlake04

« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2007, 09:56:04 am »
  I'm quessing Masonryman took the  the trouble to drop the frame under the seat so that the bike would fit better -  five posts up he said he's 5'6".  Maybe a good compromise would be the top of the seat foam following the line of the bottom of the tank.

masonryman

« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2007, 12:23:38 pm »
With the rear sets where they are  it's a little snug, but with the foam seat it will be about right.
The main reason i dropped the frame was to lower the center of gravity, I like the feel of being down in the bike.
I am also tiring to blend old with new without losing the vintage

masonryman

« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2007, 12:27:22 pm »

I'm all for the 2nd one myself. I didn't say anything about the 1st one cause I figured that if it suited you, that was all that mattered. :D I guess your exhaust system will work okay with the 2nd seat? Still think yours is a cool build.
 Later on, Bill :) ;)

Yes the second one is actually better suited to the exhaust, more breathing room, plus it's all metal so it will dissipate the heat better. The second is also much more comfortable

masonryman

« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2007, 01:02:04 pm »

No offense, but it also looks just like every other cafe racer on this site

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2007, 12:38:57 am »

Is that so bad?  ???
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline CrisPDuk

• Christ on a bike! Me, an
  • Expert
  • Oh happy day! 3rd December 2005
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2007, 01:04:08 am »

I assure yuo there's no offence taken here MM ;D  In fact may I just say that I admire the way in which you accept and answer comment and criticism on what is a quite novel, and very interesting project :)

I'm just going to throw in another suggestion though ;) Aesthetically I would be aiming to at least have the bottom edge, which ever seat you choose, running parallel (not necessarily in line) to the bottom edge of the tank, otherwise I feel it will always look as if it hasn't been fitted properly

This is just an observation in the interest of your well being, if you go for the white seat, you should at least try and get a bit of a 'hump' at the back of it, otherwise you'll find yourself hanging onto the bike with your arms, rather than using your butt & legs to hold you in place.

However, it's your bike at the end of the day, so if you're happy with it ( if you're like me, you'll always see room for improvement), nothing else matters :)
Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

masonryman

« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2007, 03:28:36 am »
from CrispDuk

This is just an observation in the interest of your well being, if you go for the white seat, you should at least try and get a bit of a 'hump' at the back of it, otherwise you'll find yourself hanging onto the bike with your arms, rather than using your butt & legs to hold you in place.

You know ,I have rode motocross all my life, and sport bikes since I have had my license. I bought my first SOHC in 1999 and thought they were cool but was never comfortable on it. I think the above statement sums up the reason. :-\

In a prior post I said " I like to feel down in the bike, not on top of it"

Thanks for the feed back, it is appreciated

Mark

Offline CrisPDuk

• Expert
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2007, 04:10:15 am »
No problem Mark :)

The observation was based purely on the reasoning behind my buying a Guiliari seat. Every time I wound the throttle open on my 550 my fat ass tended to scoot to the back of the stock seat :(
Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2007, 06:34:35 am »

The observation was based purely on the reasoning behind my buying a Guiliari seat. Every time I wound the throttle open on my 550 my fat ass tended to scoot to the back of the stock seat :(
been there myself.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

masonryman

« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2007, 12:55:36 pm »

Is that so bad? ???

NA, T'n'A, it's not all bad, but I have two bikes that fit that bill, just tiring to be a little creative   8)

Offline Matt Hubbell

• Enthusiast
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2007, 01:13:06 pm »
Hey you have a really cool bike going, take a look at old vintage race bike, and that should give you some good ideas, also Benji dose some nice stuff. ( benjie caferacers )

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2007, 01:53:20 am »

been there myself.

Hey Dusty, is that a "Fat Boy"?  ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2007, 07:30:25 am »
why you call me fat,sherrif. ???
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline CrisPDuk

• Expert
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2007, 07:56:07 am »
Hey Terry, I've never trusted skinny guys >:(

A man that can't even manage to do something as important as feed himself properly is of no use to any one ;)

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2007, 08:16:45 pm »

Same foes for me.
When I had the stock seat on my CB750 I had this feeling like I was gonna fly off the back of it.
My Guiliari solved that issue very easily. Kinda nice to have something their to keep ya " planted " ...

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2007, 08:29:59 pm »
how much does that fairing weigh? it looks pretty substantial.

masonryman

« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2007, 08:41:47 pm »
It's just a mock up made of wire and bondo it weighs about 10 -15 lb When I come up with something worth reproducing a mold will be made and they will be laid out of 5 to 7 layers of fiberglass weight at that point should be under 10 lb with paint and brackets

Mark

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2007, 11:00:33 pm »

Hey Mark,

Good to see ya back with more stuff on your build. ;) Always have thought your exhaust was an interesting approach and carried out in style. I understand that the fairing is a mockup and, from the front view, looks great. Well the actual fairing hug the gas tank like that one does? Not saying anything against that approach, just wondering if you were going to do the actual fairing that way. 8) Your bike is just another great build that has it's own look and features like no other. Great work, keep it up guy.

Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2007, 11:20:24 pm »
Love that exhaust !

Offline c91x

• Enthusiast
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2007, 11:39:05 pm »
well hate me but i only like the front area design...........i'm not found of to many fairings so maybe i'm biased here but i think it goign back so far at that angle adds to many angles to the whole bike. granted this is my opinion and we all have em but i would cut it stop the fairing as it come to the tank and have the bottom of the fairing straight so it rolls into the tank line

sorta kinda like this
http://www.teamincomplete.com/Boxer/Resources/thebox2s.gif
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 11:44:35 pm by c91x »

masonryman

« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2007, 02:53:27 am »
Thanks for the feeback guys, That is what I am looking for, an honest opinion. I am just building stuff and wondering what people think on it, I will not take offence or I would not have ask. ;D

I don't know if I will run the fairing at all, the wife don't like it eather, with out it I could be riding this bike I a matter of weeks 8)

May just buy a head fairing to mount on forks and move on and what about the seat, which one?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 02:58:11 am by masonryman »

Offline coyotecowboy

• Hot Shot
  • Easily Distracted
    • American Legion Riders Post 69 Medicine Lodge, Ks
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2007, 06:42:25 am »
I wasn't a big fan of your original seat until I saw it with the mock up fairing.  The lower line on the fairing follows the lower line of the seat and ties the whole together.  Nice job!!!! 8)
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad

http://www.alrpost69.com/

Sunrise Orange 750 K2

1981 Husqvarna 430 XC, "Inga"

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2007, 07:43:16 pm »

Hey Mark, the gallery is back up. Enjoyed looking at the pictures of your progress. ;) 8)

Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline BlindJoe

• Expert
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2007, 08:55:53 pm »
Hey Mark, Looking good, I like the white seat better. Would it be possible to make the mufflers flush with the end of the white seat? I think that would improve the overall look a lot, imho.