Author Topic: S90 project  (Read 1845 times)

Offline hudstr

S90 project
« on: August 05, 2018, 07:18:18 pm »
I never did a project thread for my cb500 so I feel like I should do one for this bike. I took pictures of the cb500 but dumping all of the pictures after you're finished just isn't as good as updates as you move along.

Here is a 1965 honda S90 that I paid $280 for which is too much considering all that is usable is the frame, tank, seat and muffler. From what I can tell, it sat outside for many years, because there were pine needles in the gas tank and intake, and about 20 nuts fell out of the battery area/above the engine. The person I bought it from had freed up the engine and bought a new piston and a used jug for it. Problem is the someone had taken out one of the valves and valve guide, then damaged where the valve guide goes. The other valve was rusted shut and I'm sure I probably destroyed the guide with all the rust on the valve. This, along with a missing carb, exhaust header, and some of the internals of the engine being rusty is why I decided to go with a yx140cc engine.

The bike is mostly stripped down to the frame save the swing arm and some other stuff. I don't plan on repainting so I guess I am going for the "patina" look.

Here are the things I have done so far:
  • Cleaned the gas tank and sealed with por15, but there are some light spots so I will do another coat soon
  • Taken the forks apart, decided they were too far gone, and bought a set off ebay and rebuilt those
  • Got the wheels disassembled, removed the rear bearings because they were rusted shut, bought new rims from dss, and got the front laced with new spokes. The rear brake was completely seized, so I am going to see if a machine shop can turn down the rear hub so I have brakes again.
  • I took the head off the yx140, sanded the combustion chamber a bit, tried to match up the intake and the port, probably didn't do very much, but hey probably didn't make it worse. I also installed a z40 cam with stronger springs as well.
  • Bought various parts from ebay and other sites for things that were missing or broken.

This is our storage locker, I bought the bike back in the winter, but didn't have any room in the garage at the time so it went here.

I don't have any pictures of the pine needles but here is what the petcock looked like.

This is the damage to the original engine.

Old forks, the top of one of the forks is all messed up. There was a monstrosity of a bolt with 6 washers in it because the stock bolt wouldn't fit because of the messed up threads. 

New to me ebay forks after being rebuilt. I also got new fork ears for the headlight bucket because one of the tabs was completely snapped off. The s90's are very strange, the forks that came with the bike had a screw off collar to hold the seal and tube in, whereas the ebay ones are probably from a later year where they went to snap ring style.

The steering bearings were surprisingly clean so someone in the past must have actually done some maintenance. I can't put it back together yet because one of the steering limit stoppers on the lower triple is broken off so I need to get a bit of metal welded in its place.

I probably could have reused the rims but I made that mistake with my cb500 so I bought new rims from dss. $100 for front and rear delivered. The rear wheel on my cb500 had a bit of a flat spot so even after attempts of truing it there is still an up and down wobble. The rear brake was completely stuck so it took a hammer and a screwdriver through the holes in the hub to get it free. As you can see the bearings are shot, but they came out surprisingly easy. Nothing holding them in either, they just sit there.

New sprockets front and rear, and a new chain in the mail.

The glass was broken long ago on the speedo so I bought a used one on ebay.

For the new engine, it is a piranha 140cc (yx140cc) I got from tbolt usa, along with a z40 cam and a vm26 carb. I sanded the combustion chamber but probably didn't really do much. I smoothed out the carb to intake boot so it flows better but I don't have a picture right now. I also tried to smooth out the intake port but it is pretty small so instead I just did the part close to the intake and not near the valve guide. I don't have after pictures but I have before pictures. Tomorrow I'll add after pictures.

Next is to get the rear hub turned so the face is flat and not rusty. Also I am trying to work out what is the best way to mount the engine, because it doesn't line up with the stock holes, and I will need to find someone to make me an exhaust header to hook up to the stock muffler which is in good shape.

When a passenger of the foot hove in sight, tootle the horn trumpet
to him melodiously at first. If he still obstacles your passage
tootle him with vigor and express the word of mouth the warning "Hi! Hi!"

Offline hudstr

Re: S90 project
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 05:35:02 pm »
I went to napa today because they are the closest machine shop and they guy said the hub was too small for their machine. New plan is to go to a motorcycle dealer and see if they know any machine shops which can help me or I will be stuck playing ebay roulette. All of the listings for rear hubs either don't show the brake drum side at all or have crappy pictures, so I may end up buying something in worse condition.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 08:00:55 pm »
  I've got a little black S90 I have been meaning to play with someday. A previous owner broke the piston top and cracked the base of the cylinder it looks like while try to hammer a piston free  ::)  I bought a parts bike for the engine which is free that I can salvage the cylinder from and any other parts related to fixing that. Can't remember what all I have left for spares from the donor. I remember a couple of neighbor guys having these bikes when I was a kid while I was whizzing around on my Suzuki 2-stroke. Those old Honda S90's could take a real beating as I remember.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 03:05:57 am »
Yahoo S90 group can net you a good rear hub at a fair price. Join up...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 04:23:17 am »
I went to napa today because they are the closest machine shop and they guy said the hub was too small for their machine. New plan is to go to a motorcycle dealer and see if they know any machine shops which can help me or I will be stuck playing ebay roulette. All of the listings for rear hubs either don't show the brake drum side at all or have crappy pictures, so I may end up buying something in worse condition.
Where are you? If you can't find someone, send it down to me and I'll turn it. I've got 3 different lathes and plenty of chucks. I can turn up to 14" and as small as 1/8".
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline hudstr

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 05:41:49 pm »
Where are you? If you can't find someone, send it down to me and I'll turn it. I've got 3 different lathes and plenty of chucks. I can turn up to 14" and as small as 1/8".

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that if the last 2 leads don't pan out. I also widened the search on ebay to cl90 too because I'm 90% sure it is the same part, and it seems there are more options that I previously thought.

Offline hudstr

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 07:45:13 pm »
I ended up just buying a better rear hub on ebay. Everywhere I went people said we can't help you but here is someone who might be able to. Finally I found a shop but they wanted $60 which is what I paid for a hub in better shape off of ebay. Got the bearings in and laced up, just need to true the wheels then I can move along. Next is to find someone to weld a shoulder bolt onto there swing arm where the shock mount was broken off. Whoever road the bike last just put a bolt and nut through the swingarm so the shock is now bent. Another $85 later and ebay shocks arrived.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 08:06:20 pm »
It likely needed new shocks, so the new ones won't be a bad expense...
DrATV.com has some parts for the S90. Their S90 cam is nice as it gives more grunt in low and mid ranges...makes those curvy roads a little more fun.
Glad you found a nice rear hub.

David
David- back in the desert SW!