Author Topic: cheap eBay bar end indicators  (Read 937 times)

Offline NickD

• D'Esposito Designs
cheap eBay bar end indicators
« on: August 19, 2018, 08:54:15 pm »
So I'm nearing the end of my CB500 build. As part of my effort to clean up the front end, I'd like to go with bar-end indicators. The motogadget versions are beautiful, but it's hard to justify the price tag (~$220/pr!)- it is a pretty simple object, after all. I've even considered machining a pair from scratch.  A recent ebay search turned up a whole mess of (much less German) imitations, however. At $10/pr, they've got me thinking. Has anyone tried one of these knockoffs? Are they total trash?
Cheers,
-Nick

Offline shads

• Enthusiast
Re: cheap eBay bar end indicators
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 09:46:14 pm »
Ive got the same eBay ones - im not ready to install them yet but they seem OK for $10 a pair.  I've tested the lights and everything works fine, there's two circuits on mine one yellow and one white, and they are plenty bright enough. 

I'll be wiring them up using the stock 550 control switches, so will probably have the white lights come on with the headlight but switch turn off when the indicators are used. 

Offline disco

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 02:23:28 am »
I bought some cheap bar end mirrors. Didn't end up using them. The reflected image is so tiny, I can't see anything! They get around the legal need for mirrors I guess, but the ones I bought at least, are of no use at all.
1976 CB750 K6 Sapphire Blue
1972 CB750 K2 836 Orange Sunrise
1972 CB750 K2 Candy Red
1972 CB750 K2 Candy Gold'

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 03:04:25 am »
A part of what makes those M-Blaze discs so expensive is the engineering that goes into them, and the quality of the components. The light cast from them is oriented front and rear, not just an illuminated ring. Yeah, $200 is a lot of money when you're building a bike on a budget, but is $200 for your safety too much to spend?

What if those "cheap eBay knock-offs" contribute to someone behind you, or coming head-on not noticing your intended turn? Instead they cross in front of you, smack into you from behind while you're sitting there. There's no guarantee the MotoGadget lights would prevent the same thing, but they will certainly increase your odds of being seen (at least while turning) due to their intensity day or night.

Indicators and helmets and tires should all be treated with the same priority. Despite their cost, theyre all far less expensive than the cheapest trip to the ER. That's my input. Be safe out there-
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline NickD

• D'Esposito Designs
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 04:01:52 pm »
hm... I'm curious just how much more visible the motogadgets are, if at all. Has anyone compared the two? That's really the heart of my question. If safety and visibility are the priorities, wouldn't it make the most sense to leave the giant stock indicators on, perhaps retrofit with some super bright LEDs? Or, while we're going down this rabbit hole, to add a couple more wheels to my bike, plus airbags and some crumple zones?  ;) At the end of the day, if I did think that the difference between the two indicators would mean having an accident or not, then of course I'd pay the Germans their blood money. I'd love to hear if anyone has actually compared the two, and calj737, if you have, my apologies for assuming you haven't

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 04:20:05 pm »
I have not compared the units you listed, but I have seen and do have the Blaze discs. They will burn your eyes out at 109 meters on a sunny day.

I’m not saying the less expensive option is not viable, only that the MotoG stuff is all exceptionally well made stuff. Yup, expensive compared to used vintage parts, but these are all state of the art modern electronics involving modern reflector science. For whatever that’s worth...
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline NickD

• D'Esposito Designs
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 08:25:21 pm »
Hi all, just wanted to put this one to rest for anyone searching this topic. I purchased a cheap set of indicators from an ebay seller- a $10 copy of the motogadget m blaze discs. I have also bought the motogadgets, and can confirm that there's no comparison. The motogadgets are well made, and crazy bright. I was disappointed to find that the cheap ones were considerably dimmer than the stock lamps. There are dozens of motogadget copies online, and I only bought one of them, but at least the ones I compared didn't stand up. Unfortunate case of getting what you pay for on this one, I'm afraid. I'll try to take some photos for comparison at some point- stock, motogadget, and cheapos side by side. 

Offline shads

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 12:27:55 am »
Yep I agree.  Ive recently put mine on my bike and what I previously thought was bright (when testing them in the house) turns out to actually be terribly dim when on the bike and out in daylight...