Author Topic: Terry's Kawasaki Z1000 Mad Max Bike, my er, 2020 summer project.  (Read 37902 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Terry's Kawasaki Z1000 Mad Max Bike, my er, 2020 summer project.
« Reply #300 on: March 10, 2020, 04:53:33 pm »
The "Mad Max" bike started running like sh1t when I had that wiring meltdown on ride #1 a couple of weeks ago. It's only running on #3 and #4 plugs. I've concluded that it's an ignition issue, so yesterday I made the decision to install a Dyna S to replace the points. When I first got it, it had points, a 5 ohm standard coil and a 3 ohm dyna coil installed, and in the spares box was another new standard coil, another Dyna 3 ohm coil, and a used Dyna S ignition.

Because it's currently a total loss ignition system I didn't install the Dyna, because the electrical gods here have shouted from on high that the Dyna will suck the very life force out of a battery, whereas points will continue to work with as little as 5-6 volts left in the old electrickery box. When I checked the 2 offending cylinders yesterday, the pipes were cold, but when I pulled the plugs, were both still sparking reasonably brightly, but the plugs were both wet, which indicated that they were getting fuel, but perhaps under high compression load, the spark was too weak to ignite the mix?

I did a compression test and that was somewhat farcical as the gauge I have with it's rubber tip (not the threaded in type) kept getting blown out of the spark plug hole, but I did see 150 psi or thereabouts in each cold cylinder, so assumed that it's not a leaking valve issue, which is good as the GPZ heads have "under-bucket" shims and need the cams removed to replace them. I'm not too worried as shortly I'll be installing a hot Z1 head with massive porting and Web cams but I'm always curious, so I've been careful to leave each of the larger Z1 shims in place so hopefully I won't need to change any shims when I install the head.

Anyhoo, after all that bullsh1t, I woke up this morning as a 60 year old for the first time, and now obviously gifted with the wisdom of old age, wondered if it was possible, that all I've done is put spark plug lead #1 one spark plug #2, and vice versa? I'm gonna go outside now (I've taken the day off for my birthday) and swap those plug leads over, and give it a kick to see if it runs on all four cylinders again. Watch this space, I may well be a d1ckhead, but if I'm right, I'll at least be a happy d1ckhead.............. Oh, and pissed off, of course. ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #301 on: March 10, 2020, 05:22:15 pm »
Yep, I swapped the leads over, and gave it one kick, and it fired right up on 4 cylinders! as silly as I should be feeling, I'm greatly relieved that I don't have to do any expensive/time consuming work on it, until the new crankshaft arrives, when I'll strip the engine down and install the crank, Z1 head, alternator, starter motor, regulator, 33mm Mikuni smoothbore carbs, Dyna ignition, etc.

My new Bearing press arrived today, so I might take the lull in Kawasaki proceedings to drag the black Harley Iron Head Sportster out of the garage and strip it down to replace the crank and flywheel assembly. But not today. I did a quick lap around the block on the big black Zed (KZ and the Sunshine Band, in the US) and apart from the super stiff front springs almost rigidly bouncing over each speed bump, it ran like a champ. The rear brake works now that I'd bled it last weekend, and the gearing feels right now, but the clutch is still dragging, so I'll need to try to adjust it later, after I come back from a leisurely lunch with the wife. Happy Days! :D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #302 on: March 10, 2020, 06:45:54 pm »
Happy birthday Uncle Tez
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 06:53:10 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #303 on: March 10, 2020, 06:50:06 pm »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG FELLA
i blame Terry

Offline jaytee-nz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #304 on: March 10, 2020, 07:00:37 pm »
Congratulations on joining the 60+ club Terry - it's all down hill from here on mate !

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #305 on: March 10, 2020, 10:00:54 pm »
Happy birthday old man! I'll continue to enjoy 50+  :)
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #306 on: March 11, 2020, 01:05:29 am »
Happy Birthday Terry!!  Hope it is a good day for you.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #307 on: March 11, 2020, 01:39:52 am »
Terry
Happy Birthday mate and congrats on reaching the 60 year milestone.  ;D

If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline vik351

• Enthusiast
  • Adelaide South Australia ...
« Reply #308 on: March 11, 2020, 04:50:38 am »
So hows the noggin at the end of the day...??? ;D

Ya have a good one...???

vik... 8)

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #309 on: March 11, 2020, 05:45:53 am »
happy 60 terry!bill
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #310 on: March 11, 2020, 12:07:04 pm »
 They say the memory start going at around 59...
 There was something I was going to wish you.... but can't remember now..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #311 on: March 11, 2020, 01:23:01 pm »
35-40 years disappear when I ride my CB750, back into the good memory lane.
Most of my old bad memories faded away or just gone!  ;)
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #312 on: March 11, 2020, 01:28:30 pm »
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I had a great day, was showered with un-deserved presents, and even assembled my new bearing press while drunk on Ginger Slut. The best thing though, was riding the big black Kawasaki, it is such a wonderful beast, it makes m e feel at least 20 years younger! :D

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #313 on: March 11, 2020, 01:43:30 pm »
20 years younger? Still an old goat!! ;)

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #314 on: March 11, 2020, 11:52:25 pm »
Regularly running your battery that low, does wear out a lead acid battery fairly quickly. But you can always go lithium ion then, if this setup is going to stay in this frame. Less weight, more juice, and handles deep discharge well.

Sorry, gotta disagree...Lithium does Not like deep discharge. In fact, they are irreparably damaged by deep discharge and will not take a charge after discharged too low.

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #315 on: March 12, 2020, 12:45:27 am »
I had an early "knock-off" from work yesterday as I had to have another couple of MRI's at the local imaging clinic, so after starting at 6am, then wandering over to my favourite restaurant at 0700 for scrambled eggs and crispy bacon on buttered toast and a large coffee, I left work at 0945 to be at the clinic at 1045, and arrived right on time, which was pretty surprising, the traffic was way heavier than I'd expected.

What's the deal with hospital gowns? You have to strip down to your undies and socks for an MRI, so need to put on a gown, but the ties are at the back. Now apart from being old and busted, I'm also terribly uncoordinated, so there's no way I can do up the ties at the back of a hospital gown. Being an engineering wizard though (as you all know............) I realised that if the ties were just longer, you could wrap the gown around yourself, pull the ties around to the front, and tie a neat bow in the front?

I mentioned this to the radiologist, and he was stunned, he said "I've been doing this job for years, and never thought of that!" I bet I'll see him on the news soon, with diamond studded gold teeth surrounded by scantily clad super-models aboard his ocean going yacht, explaining how his simple idea made him filthy stinking rich! Baastard, I hate him already.........

Anyway, back to reality, sort of. Well after both Per and I agreed that the 2 part epoxy is sh1t and probably wouldn't work, it actually worked fine. After I arrived home from the MRI's, I ate some lunch and fell asleep. I don't know about you guys, but nowadays, I'm really good at falling asleep in my comfy chair. Recently my oldest son even took a somewhat embarrassing pic of me asleep with my hand in my container of nuts and dried fruit that I like to snack on, so when you're falling asleep while eating, you know that you're getting old.....

But I digress. By this time it was around 6pm, and I remembered that I'd bogged up that carb with the JB two part epoxy, so should probably take a look and see if it'd done any good.

Mikuni 40mm repair by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

The stuff had dried OK, I was able to pull the float pin out and remove the float without the tower falling off, so I gave it a bit of a jiggle, and it stayed put, it actually felt quite secure. I knew it'd need some trimming though, before I could put the float bowl back on, and as my knock off dremel tool had died a horrible death a few weeks ago and i'd bought a much bigger but quite unwieldy Makita electric die grinder to replace it, I needed something a lot smaller.

My dad was not a tool guy. Most of the tools in his garage are ancient woodworking tools that he "inherited" from my maternal grandfather or things that I bought him. A few years ago though, he'd bought me a tiny electric die grinder which I found particularly useless and put away on a shelf, never to be used again. As it turned out, it was great for shaping the epoxy putty. As I kept grinding it away so as to allow the float bowl back on I was expecting the float tower to come adrift, but no, the pile of putty at the rear of the tower was enough to keep the structure rigid.

Mikuni 40mm repair 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I could have smoothed it more, but I thought it better to quit while I was ahead, and anyway, it had only been on for 24 hours, so the longer I leave it, hopefully the harder it will become. I refitted the float and pin and made sure nothing was obstructing the up and down movement, and was happy to see that I could leave the rest of the small mountain of putty I'd built up around the float tower. It took a few goes before I could re-fit the float bowl, with a little more epoxy putty grinding required each time, but eventually it plopped back into place, so I called it good.

I don't think I'll bother trying to install these carbs on this engine, I think I'll need bigger rubber insulators, but the head that's on it's way from the US has what looks like bigger insulators fitted (It was off a 1974 Z1 with a 1327 big bore kit) but if not, apparently Z1 Enterprises (owned by a member here) have them, so I'll order a set. It does worry me not having any air filters on my carbs, but then I remember that back in the days when we had very few unsealed roads most bikes didn't have air filters and survived OK, so I'll try not to worry too much about it, but if I do see another set of these GSXR carbs with pods going cheap, I'll buy them, even if just for winter riding.

OK, the sun is shining, I better get out there and see what I can't cock up today! ;D       

Terry, glad your float post fix held up...let us hope that doesn’t change anytime soon.

Re: hospital gowns...
I had a fluoroscope guided cortisone injection in my right hip last week and if it doesn’t help them we will have to explore the great news of other things. Orthopedic surgeon told me I will ne looking at total hip replacement down the road.
Happy happy, joy. Joy.
I’m 57 so, I may not make it to 60 before I need that new hip.

I have had the nerve blocks in my neck and was going to have the 1st nerve ablation last Thursday but I was tested Thursday afternoon and was positive for Influenza A. Was feeling pretty rough for several days and taking a generic Tamiflu made in India. It did its job and shortened the flu duration. Still no energy. Had to cancel my ablation...will be doing next Thursday and then maybe April 6 as my insurance is going to be changing, so, I will need to have 2nd ablation approved by the new insurance company.Will be changing several doctors as a result of insurance. Some I will say good riddance to! One doctor I was dictated to use was rated 2/5 on two sites with patient reviews... they were accurate reviews too given what he did on my 1st visit with him.
Will have to see him again before switching...then a gap as I find and go to another one with likely 4-6 weeks getting in to see the new doctor.

Insurance companies and banking systems here in the US need bulldozered over and start over. The corruption is awful and litigation is stupid here...fill the bottom of the ocean with the money grubbing lawyers who have developed this litigious society...

It may be time to move to Mexico...

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #316 on: March 12, 2020, 03:09:35 am »
Thanks Mate, I had a great day, wife and mother in law took me out to lunch, and I was able to get the "seniors discount" even though I haven't applied for a seniors card as yet. Saved me 20 bucks, which I invested in alcohol. By the time I'd assembled my 12 ton bearing press in the dark with no instruction sheet with only a slight loss of hydraulic fluid I took a cocktail of painkillers and antidepressants, and had a fantastic 5 hours sleep (apart from waking up for a piss twice) and went to work today.

I made this vid last night, but wasn't in a fit state to post it. Thanks again everyone, my 60th was my best birthday ever, and you guys helped make it that way!

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #317 on: March 12, 2020, 07:02:26 pm »
Arrrrr we love you to Tez .......ya drunken box head ;D ;D ;D
By the by I don't think Jesus had crissy lights let alone gave a #$%*tt about them, but hey I'm no theological expert.

Cheers,
Brian
The older I get the faster I was.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #318 on: March 12, 2020, 08:01:10 pm »
Thanks Brian, it was straight from the heart, or the bladder, whatever. In the last 3 weeks, I've had 2 of my best school mates die, and a work mate tell me he's got terminal cancer, so I need to tell you guys how much I love you all, before you all fall off the perch too! ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #319 on: March 13, 2020, 04:43:34 am »
I regularly hear a saying, "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade" which is lovely, but sometimes life gives you sh1t, and as we all know, you can't turn sh1t into strawberry jam. Those whose life has given them sh1t are probably very jealous of those folks with all those lemons...........

Today I had a guy I don't even know offer to turn his own sh1t sandwich into my lemonade. I don't feel sorry for myself, ever, because life has given me more opportunities than most, and apart from motorcycle deals, I've happily squandered most of them. (I've squandered a few motorcycle deals too, but bikes are like buses, if you miss one deal, another one will be along soon enough)

I've busted myself up back in the 90's pretending to be a "Sky God" with a green beret, not because I ever wanted to jump out of perfectly good airplanes, nor was I any good at it, but there was an opportunity for an undeserved early promotion, a return to my wife's home state, and a payrise thrown in, plus a tiny (then) allowance to jump a couple of times a year. I only did 20 jumps, but managed to bust myself up pretty good, so last year the VA (DVA here) gave me a lot of money as an apology, and this year I got a "Gold Card" so all my medical, for any ailment (not just the 23 accepted conditions that the VA has accepted responsibility for) is paid for, and I was able to cancel my private health insurance, and save around $4200 per year, or more likely, invest $4200 per year on bikes and parts. THere was also a small tax-free pension too, which is nice.

I put the word out that I needed some KZ1000 parts for my black bike and my next Mad Max 1428cc bike, and a guy in somewhere cold and snowy replied that he'd be happy to do business with me. Like me he's got some Harleys, and the Kawasaki's have been sitting, neglected in his garage, basement, and an outside tent. For very little money he dragged a snow covered bike inside and removed all of the bolt on parts, cleaned them, video'd the process and we got to chatting. He just kept filling the box with bits he thought I'd need, for no extra money, as long as I was happy to pay the original agreed price, plus shipping. I was more than happy to, because over here, big Kawasaki stuff is like Sandcast stuff, lots of guys have parts, but won't sell them, not even at gunpoint.

We got to chatting, as I'm wont to do, and he told me about a genuine Z1R-TC (Turbocharged) bike that he parked in his basement years ago, and would I be interested in buying it? I've never seen one in the flesh, only on youtube and occasionally on a TV show, I don't know if any made it across the pond to Oz, but if they did, they'd be in Vic World Sandcast territory, price wise.

I looked at what they're worth, and realised very quickly that they were right out of my league, dollar-wise. So as not to fcuk him around, I thanked him, but said no. That was OK, we kept chatting, and I said I was having problems with an Ebay seller who I'd bought another frame from, but who was reluctant to ship it, for whatever reason. Yesterday my new mate in the states offered to send the frame from the bike he'd pulled apart for me, so I said yep, that'll work, but so as not to get a "unpaid buy strike" against me on Ebay, I have to wait for the seller to decide what he was gonna do.

Today he weighs the box, and tells me I'm up for XXX dollars all up, shipping costing almost as much as the parts. "No worries mate" I say, and I paypal him for everything, and pay the fees. I'd also contacted those jerks at MyUS.com to get a price on shipping a frame, and was surprised that it was just south of 300 beans (USD) which I thought was excellent. I told him, and he said, "How much to ship the ZIR-TC, 563 pounds?" I explained again that I'd love it, but can't really afford it, if I want some retirement savings, when the big day comes.

I was texting him from the hospital where I was waiting for steroid injections into my lower spine. I told him this, and he replied that he had a lot of health problems himself and needed to clear all his bikes and parts out of his place, soon. He told me he didn't want any money for the bike, I just need to organise the shipping. That's right, he offered me a free ZIR-TC, one of the most desirable bikes ever made, (in my opinion) and once restored (he said it's a little rough, but he rode it into his basement, and it is what it is, but it's all there, plus some spares) and he's gonna send me some pics.

This morning my cuz sends me the death notice for my best friend in tech (high) school which absolutely gutted me. I loved that guy like a brother, got in a lot of trouble with him, bought my first K1 from him (with a spare K0/K1 in parts) for $300 in 1980 when we were both 20, and as I was in the Army in Sydney by then, lost contact with him, and always hoped we'd get back together in our twilight years for some more drinking, some more smoking, and some more bullsh1tting. Not gonna happen, unless I find a good medium, or ask Zac Bagans from "Ghost Adventures", that guy must be the most successful ghost whisperer in the free world.

I'm 60 as of Wednesday, and in the last 3 weeks, I learn that two school mates are dead, and a work mate tells me he has terminal cancer, and asks me not to tell anyone else, because he doesn't like them, so doesn't want their pity. He's a very smart guy, and with intelligence comes disdain for lesser creatures, or so I'm told. What the fcuk have I got to b1tch about?

On top of that I'm in hospital waiting for a procedure that the back surgeon described as "possibly more painful than the ailment" (and he was pretty right) then my new mate in the states, out of the blue, made me an offer so generous, it took my breath away. All because his own health is failing, and he wants to clear the decks to make things easier for his family when he goes. Wow.     

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #320 on: March 13, 2020, 11:11:14 am »
Sh1t can be used as furtilzer growing good stuff you can eat or smoke making life good! ;)
Smoked chillies have a nice taste ;)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #321 on: March 13, 2020, 02:36:21 pm »
Ha ha, good point Per, ever the optimist! ;D

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #322 on: March 13, 2020, 03:35:39 pm »
My mate from Port Pirie who lives over in WA now bought a Turbo Kwaka from New Zealand a few years ago now Terry.
He loves it but he said that his arsehole still quivers everytime that he gives it curry.  ;D

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #323 on: March 14, 2020, 12:41:39 am »
Ha ha, it'll be interesting to compare it to the current black beast with 140 RWBHP, or the "soon to be born" 1428 with quite a few more. I will brace the sh1t out of the frame on the 1428cc bike, and once again, put some good brakes on it. When/if the TC arrives, it will be a restoration, wobbly frame and all, just because one day someone will pay stupid money for it, to put it on his trailer and take it from show to show, to win 5 dollar trophies and bore everyone's pants off about the bikes spec's, even though he's only ever ridden it from his trailer to the venue. Oh well, it takes all kinds. Your mates bike looks magnificent mate, I know mine won't be as good, but don't care, I'll turn them lemons into lemonade, when they get here. ;D 

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #324 on: March 14, 2020, 01:50:43 am »
Terry, you'll need a parachute as safety equipment when riding that beast!