Author Topic: Terry's Kawasaki Z1000 Mad Max Bike, my er, 2020 summer project.  (Read 37864 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Terry's Kawasaki Z1000 Mad Max Bike, my er, 2020 summer project.
« Reply #400 on: April 10, 2020, 05:30:27 am »
Yep, tyres, helmets, lawyers, and all sorts of problems therein. Well the good news is that the KZ1000 frame for the 1428 build has landed in Melbourne according to the MyUS.com website's tracking. My intent is to build a rolling chassis, then once the engine's together, to slot it in, while I'm still collecting bodywork and hopefully another box of engine and frame parts won't be far away.

Shipping from anywhere in the world has slowed right down due to CV, so I might need to jump from project to project, depending on what I have parts for. Luckily, I have a lot of parts. No money, but lots of parts, you can't have both, so sayeth the lord....... 

Now you can't build a rolling chassis without wheels, so today I took all the CB500 Four rear hub guts, and put them in my ultrasonic cleaner to boil 48 years of oil and crap off them, prior to installing in the Lester wheel. A picture might be worth a thousand words, but a short video saves a lot of typing.

Anyhoo, I cleaned everything up, the cush rubbers were easy to install when they were still warm from the cleaner, and I replaced the brake shoes. I was wondering what the difference was between 750 and 500 rear brakes, and the only real difference that I noticed was that the shoes are narrower on the 500F, when compared side by side with CB750 shoes.

Good Friday Z1428 10 Apr 2020 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

As expected, the brake pivot was seized into the backing plate, so once disassembled, (I've found cutting the old springs off with my DeWalt cordless angle grinder makes them a snap to remove, and I use my Delkevic exhaust's spring hook tool to install the new ones, which makes it very easy) I put a light coat of copper grease on all pivot points, installed the new shoes, new springs, split pins etc. I also cleaned and reassembled the drive sprocket assembly, and any 500F experts looking at this pic will know that it appears I've cocked up, and of course I did, but as I expect to have the wheel in and out several times when I'm fabbing up new spacers, it'll stay like this for the time being.

Good Friday Z1428 10 Apr 2020 7 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

The CB500 axle is longer than the Z1000 item, but I don't have a Kawasaki one, so I need to make the Honda axle work. I did a test fit in the Z1000 swingarm, and with the use of a CB750 spacer on the brake plate side, it was close.

Good Friday Z1428 10 Apr 2020 8 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I used a bored out CB750 axle washer to take up the gap, and used some "speed shims" (washers) on the outboard side, to tighten things up. I'll turn up a couple of spacers to replace them eventually, and I'll need to turn up some swingarm bushes, or modify some CB750 bushes, if they're close.

Good Friday Z1428 10 Apr 2020 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I was worried about how "offset" the wheel appears in the swingarm, but when I checked the back wheel on the black Zed, it was the same, and the distance from the swingarm to the sprocket was almost exactly the same. Once I've made new spacers, it'll all look good.

Good Friday Z1428 10 Apr 2020 5 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

And, until the frame turns up, that's about it. I've got forks to go on, the 19" lester wheel, a new tapered roller bearing kit, and some handlebars, so I can push it around. The weather is about to take a turn for the worst, it'll be cold and wet tomorrow, which is annoying as I wouldn't mind going over to the self storage place to take the Triumph Rocket III or VFR750 (which has much newer Michelin tyres fitted) for a ride. I don't have any wet weather gear at the moment, so that might be a problem too, but I won't "put the cart before the horse", I don't even know if the self storage place is considered an "Essential Service", so may not even be open, in which case, I'll think of something else to do.

Oh well, before today I didn't even know if the CB500F Lester would work in the Kawasaki swingarm, so I have made some small progress. I'm pretty sure the front wheel will be fine, only because my mate Fred has a Kawasaki Z900 front wheel on his CB750, so bearing sizes should be the same, and I do have a Kawasaki front axle, so as long as I can get the Honda speedo drive in there as well (and as long as the gearing for both speedo's is the same, and as long as I can space out the discs slightly while still being able to use the CB750 speedo drive....... phew, that's a lot of "As long as", ha ha!) it'll be fine......... More soon. ;D

Good Friday Z1428 10 Apr 2020 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #401 on: April 10, 2020, 05:33:05 am »
i just picked up an old dirt bike with road trail tyres on it dated 2004,its an 87 tt600,the tyres have good looking tread and no obvious cracks etc,their mitas brand from checzh,im gonna run em carefully and see?

Ha ha, I've seen vids of you chasing sports bikes on your 500 four Dave, I'll be interested to see how you're gonna run 'em "Carefully"? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #402 on: April 10, 2020, 07:25:12 pm »
How big is your ultrasonic cleaner Uncle Tez?
The older I get the faster I was.

ken65

« Reply #403 on: April 10, 2020, 07:49:25 pm »
How big is your ultrasonic cleaner Uncle Tez?
I was wondering the same thing. Biggest one I've seen holds a couple of carbies .

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #404 on: April 10, 2020, 10:11:22 pm »
Thanks guys, it was the biggest one I could find on Ebay, a 30 litre job. It'll do a rack of CB750 carbs no problem, and I reckon I'll get a head in there. I need to clean the head and cylinder block on the Swamp rat engine when I tear it down, so this thing will be ideal. ;D

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #405 on: April 10, 2020, 10:24:14 pm »
30 litres?..Shiit! That must have cost an arm and a leg!
Not one of mine either. I'm talk'in one that work's. ;D
The older I get the faster I was.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #406 on: April 11, 2020, 12:50:38 am »
30 litres?..Shiit! That must have cost an arm and a leg!
Not one of mine either. I'm talk'in one that work's. ;D

I think it was a bit over 400 bucks with shipping Brian, so not too bad? It was my 60th birthday present from the wife, she hates it because the "fizzing" noise frightens her cats, but she can't b1tch about it because she gave it to me........ ;D

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #407 on: April 11, 2020, 02:59:25 am »
that was a good price i paid 3 times that for a 27ltr one . having said that it was still one of my best buys not much gets out of my garage without going through it !

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #408 on: April 11, 2020, 04:39:29 am »
that was a good price i paid 3 times that for a 27ltr one . having said that it was still one of my best buys not much gets out of my garage without going through it !

Thanks Simon, what do you use to clean all your stuff? I've been using laundry detergent and heat which seems to work pretty well, but I'm interested to know what everyone else is using? ;D

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #409 on: April 11, 2020, 05:31:16 am »
mine has a heater and i find getting it up to about 70 degrees c  and using this stuff works well

https://www.allendale-ultrasonics.co.uk/carburettor-and-machine-parts-ultrasonic-cleaning-solution-25-litre

not the cheapest i know but mixed at 10 to 1 it lasts ages . they do a stronger solution but you have to be careful with alloy . i threw an old carb it to try and it ate it !

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #410 on: April 11, 2020, 07:52:29 am »
I've been using laundry detergent and heat which seems to work pretty well, but I'm interested to know what everyone else is using? ;D

I use different things depending on what I am working with including white vinegar/water solutions of varying dilutions.  The stronger the cleaning action I need, the more vinegar I use.  Then when it gets dirty enough, I dump it on weeds.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #411 on: April 11, 2020, 11:08:16 am »
Terry stock Kawi front wheels which I have used are bigger axle size. I have run them on 750 Hondas.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #412 on: April 11, 2020, 07:48:52 pm »
Terry stock Kawi front wheels which I have used are bigger axle size. I have run them on 750 Hondas.

Thanks Frank, hmmnnn, OK, I better go measure the Kawasaki Axle that came on the drag bike, if it's not 15mm OD, I'll have to come up with an engineering solution. I wonder how hard the axles are? It'll be either a bearing swap, turning the axle down to 15mm, or MacGyvering a CB750 axle to fit the Kawasaki forks. I better start another build thread ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #413 on: April 11, 2020, 07:52:06 pm »
mine has a heater and i find getting it up to about 70 degrees c  and using this stuff works well

https://www.allendale-ultrasonics.co.uk/carburettor-and-machine-parts-ultrasonic-cleaning-solution-25-litre

not the cheapest i know but mixed at 10 to 1 it lasts ages . they do a stronger solution but you have to be careful with alloy . i threw an old carb it to try and it ate it !

Thanks Simon, yeah, mine's got the heater too, great piece of kit for the bucks. That solution must have phophoric acid in it, I put a CB750 tank complete with petcock in a barrel of it once, and when it came out the screws were still there along with the brass tube, in the bottom of the tank, but the zinc alloy tap was nowhere to be found...... ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #414 on: April 11, 2020, 07:53:19 pm »
I've been using laundry detergent and heat which seems to work pretty well, but I'm interested to know what everyone else is using? ;D

I use different things depending on what I am working with including white vinegar/water solutions of varying dilutions.  The stronger the cleaning action I need, the more vinegar I use.  Then when it gets dirty enough, I dump it on weeds.

Sounds good mate, I do like the washing powder because I steal it from the wife's laundry, but am keen to try a few different things. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Terry's evolving Kawasaki Z1B build, the OCD special...........
« Reply #415 on: May 19, 2020, 05:38:29 am »
OK, so my OCD has kicked in again, while I've been collecting parts for both the 1428 build, I've been thinking (obsessing?) about how nice it would be to have an actual Z1. Over here, Z1's pull as much, or more money than sandcast K0's, so buying a minty one was out of the question, and even a rough one will set you back $10K USD, if you can find one.   

On Friday night I was doing my usual trawling through Ebay looking for parts, sadly due to possibly being hosed over by a guy in the US who sold me around a thousand bucks worth of parts, that haven't shown up after 2 months. I googled his name last night, and saw that a guy with the same name, in the same city, did time for kidnapping and attempting to murder his girlfriend a few years ago, and I thought, "that'd be right, you might meet the nicest people on a Honda, but maybe not so much on a Kawasaki....."

Hopefully I'll get a refund from Paypal, but I still need the parts. Anyhoo, I typed in "Z1" in the search box, and the first thing that popped up was a minty 1975 Z1B frame. Not cheap with a start price of $1600, (AUD, around $1000 USD) but it is what it is, Z1 parts are expensive. I bid on it. I kept looking for more Z1 parts, and saw a set of 1975 Z1B engine cases, in excellent, undamaged condition, for $499 (USD) "Buy it now". I bought it.

The auction for the frame was moving along with me being the only bidder, but yesterday, a couple of hours before the auction ended, I was outbid. Rather than start a bidding war, (as quite often it's the seller, or one of his mates "bidding up" their own auction) I put a huge bid on Bidnapper, and tried not to look at the auction. I came back in after making the new caliper brackets, and saw that I'd won, woohoo! For only ......... $2805. Ooops....... Oh well, it is what it is, and I have most of what I need to build a hotrod Z1B.

So the plan is, I'll pull the engine out of Max, shovel all the engine guts into the Z1B cases, install the new welded and balanced crank, the Moriwaki 1100CC pistons and block, the ported Z1 head, 33mm Mikuni smoothbore carbs, and the Delkevic pipe. I'll install the Z1 forks and triples, along with the Lesters and 6 piston calipers. Should be a nice bike. I won't brace the frame because one day, after I turn up my toes someone might want to restore it, and might not be happy that I've welded bits and pieces of steel all over it. It won't handle as well as I'd like, but I'll remember to only ride fast in a straight line.

The good by-product of all this Z1 buying, is that I can now use my Z1000 frame, wheels, forks etc from Max for the 1428 special. That will save me a lot of time, and it'll be a good looking bike, because all I'll basically be doing, is an engine swap. There's obviously still a long way to go, and still more Z1 specific parts to find, but as you all know, I like this stuff, so I'm looking forwards to getting my hands dirty. Here's a couple of pics.

Terry's Z1 engine cases by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Terry's Z1 engine cases 9 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Terry's Z1 frame by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Terry's Z1 frame 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

The owner of the frame (well, I guess I'm the owner now, but the bloke who sold it to me) contacted me today and generously offered to deliver it to me on Saturday, and offered me a set of gauges for a lot of money, but I needed them, so I said yeah. The gauges I put on this bike were KZ1000 speedo and 7800 RPM redline tacho, with Z1 dashboard and bracket. The correct Z1 tach has a 9K RPM redline and a brake light on the face. Anyway, they'll still be fine for the 1428, but it'll be good to have the correct ones on the Z1B. And while they were expensive, even new repro ones would have cost me at least what he was asking, when you throw in the bracket, dashboard, wiring etc.

Terry's Z1B gauges 19 May 2020 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Terry's Z1B gauges 19 May 2020 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I was going to re-purpose a 1978 KZ1000 tank I have left over from the dragbike that started all this for the 1428 build, and I scored a Z1B ducktail a couple of weekends ago, but then I saw this repro set in the correct Z1B colours from Japan, and once again, I melted the credit card. Oh well, I'll sell the few KZ1000 spares I've collected to reduce the hurt marginally, these parts do like very nice.

Terry's Z1B tins 19 May 2020 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Terry's Z1B tins 19 May 2020 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Of course there was a heap of other stuff I had to buy too, and with the current situation, God knows when it'll all turn up, so in the meantime I think I'll concentrate on putting the 1428 engine together, as the Z1B engine cases may not turn up for a few weeks. Oh well, at least I'll have an engine to go into this bike by the time I'm ready to pull this engine out to rebuild for the hotrod Z1. More later. ;D

« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 05:55:15 am by Terry in Australia »

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #416 on: May 19, 2020, 06:46:47 am »
you are going top shelf here!lockdown is not good for your plastic!haha
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #417 on: May 19, 2020, 08:36:20 am »
Wow! You do what many want to do!
I can buy a mint Z900 1976 here for around $13000 USD

Not the best color scheme but bike look fantastic. Finding another for  1/3 in need of restore will cost more.

Sh!t, to buy that I have to sell my K2 to get place in garage....

CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #418 on: May 19, 2020, 04:56:01 pm »
Thanks guys, yep, the cost of all this stuff is scary, I could have bought a good running CB750 or Harley Sportster or even a good Ducati for what I've paid so far when I add in the price of the Z1 forks, Lester wheels etc, but I've always wanted a real Z1 from the time I first sat on one in 1973 and looked down on that 160 MPH speedo and was just totally awestruck. Of course I would have preferred a Z1A, but they're rarer than Z1B's, so I'll have to be happy (and I will be) with a genuine Z1B in my garage.

I've only owned 2 Kawasaki's previously, my 1976 Z900 and 1982 Z750L2 and they were great bikes, but didn't hold the same mystique as a Z1. This one will be a keeper............ ;D

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #419 on: May 20, 2020, 01:29:06 am »
Well technically you did own a zzr11...and hopefully one day soon you'll get to take it for a fang
i blame Terry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #420 on: May 20, 2020, 03:42:21 am »
Ha ha, thanks Spotty, yes, I forgot the ZZR, I saw a "D" model going cheap a few weeks ago and thought about it, but knowing what I know now about their "weak spot", I don't think I'll ever buy another one. It will be good to take yours for a lap though, for sure! I may be inheriting a heap of old Kawasaki 2 strokes in the next couple of years as a mate of mine who owns as many bikes as I do isn't well and he's talking about me and his brother doing a road trip to far north Queensland to pick them up and bring them back, but I'll need a bigger garage before that happens, as you know, I'm struggling for space now. ;D

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #421 on: May 21, 2020, 01:50:45 am »
Didn't the D get the factory fixes to prevent the oops moment that came free with the C model
i blame Terry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #422 on: May 21, 2020, 03:36:38 am »
Didn't the D get the factory fixes to prevent the oops moment that came free with the C model

I believe that there was some fixes on the D model, but it didn't go away completely until the ZX12? A workmate had a nice ZX14 that he was hoping someone would steal so he could claim the insurance money, it was a nice bike for sure, but I'm not good at keeping secrets, eating jail food, or meeting big hairy cell mates who haven't had the pleasure of female company in a very long time.............. ;D