Author Topic: 550 replacement disc rotor  (Read 1505 times)

Offline GlynMo

550 replacement disc rotor
« on: October 06, 2018, 08:26:50 am »
Hi, sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything via 'search'. Is there a UK (or European) source for improved disc rotors for the 550K? I've found drilled rotors in the States but the shipping cost is prohibitive.

Offline 540nova

• Hot Shot
Re: 550 replacement disc rotor
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 10:08:56 am »
Drill your own.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
550 replacement disc rotor
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 05:24:16 am »
You can drill your own but get a few drill bits (or learn to sharpen a drill bit well) and use a dark sulfurized cutting oil. In the states we have Home Depot which carries Oatey oil for thread cutting. Works well enough.

You can find a hole pattern you like and print it out and tape it to your rotor then have a blast drilling it. Stainless is very tough though.

Offline GlynMo

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 05:57:21 am »
Yeh, I'd drill the rotor myself - if I had a pedestal drill. I suppose I could pay to get it done by an engineering shop, and it'd cost less than the shipping cost of a replacement from the US.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 06:54:59 am »
Contact member Godffery.  He thins them to 4mm and then cross drills. them.  Sweet products (put 2 on my 750)
None of the links to his site seem to work, so reach out to him thru PM.

4into1.com also has them.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 09:09:03 pm »
The stainless steel is best drilled using a cobalt drill. If you are going to want them ground thinner you could ask Godfrey to just  ship you the bolts and  thinned discs without the carriers and drill the studs on your carriers and then loctite thread locker e the replacement fasteners onto your  rotor carrier centers. Would save you a few dollars in shipping. They have to be Blanchard ground to thinner than stock minimum thickness when lightening them for twin disc setup. Trudisc in the upper Midwest USA will not grind any below minimum spec for liability purposes. It would pay you to fill in or remove that value on your discs if going thinned and lightened so you do not run into any trouble if someone measures your rotor thickness after an accident. Epoxy and sanding it back level does a nice job for that purpose...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline GlynMo

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 02:48:17 am »
Update - I had the rotor drilled by Wingovations in Scotland. Tidy job and a fair price.

Offline robvangulik

• Honda Fourever
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 04:16:42 am »
I bet you could have bought a vertical drill stand for that 'fair price' ;D

Offline beemerbum

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 10:34:24 am »
Hi, sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything via 'search'. Is there a UK (or European) source for improved disc rotors for the 550K? I've found drilled rotors in the States but the shipping cost is prohibitive.
I have used this outfit for Honda as well as Yamaha rotors. They not only drill them but flat grind them as well. The braking performance on my Hondas was improved 100%. The cost is very reasonable and the turn-around is quick.https://truedisk.net

Offline robvangulik

• Honda Fourever
  • Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 04:10:25 pm »
I have used this outfit for Honda as well as Yamaha rotors. They not only drill them but flat grind them as well. The braking performance on my Hondas was improved 100%. The cost is very reasonable and the turn-around is quick.https://truedisk.net
Michigan UK?

Offline GlynMo

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 04:33:16 am »
I bet you could have bought a vertical drill stand for that 'fair price' ;D

Very true, but you haven't seen the tiny shed I'm working in, not a lot of space for more kit. Plus, judging by the comments on how hard the rotors are, I'd have needed a more powerful drill too.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 05:35:16 am »
not powerfull but decent proper bit.

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 08:05:56 am »
Stainless is notorious for being hard to drill. I had mine done at /truedisk.net, great folks, impeccable work. They ground them and drilled them. I didn't want to tackle keeping the pattern perfect, a dividing head works for that and I don't have one. Mine are working great.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki