Author Topic: exhaust rust issue!!!  (Read 817 times)

Offline Xander^

• Enthusiast
exhaust rust issue!!!
« on: October 08, 2018, 08:39:47 pm »
hey everyone, happy thanksgiving to fellow Canadians!

wanted to get some input on what to do with my exhaust. i bought a 4into1 Carpy exhaust from a friend with 2 riding seasons on it. It is the black ceramic coated one that carpy sells. long story short, it was wrapped since purchase. since i've bought it, its been sitting in the garage for 8 months while i progress with my build and now i went to remove all the heat wrap and discovered all of these rust patches.... picture below.

ive since started trying to sand off the rust but not sure what this will do to the ceramic coating. and my intention is to wrap it again..

what do i do!? what is the best way to go about this.
1977 CB750K cafe

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: exhaust rust issue!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 02:20:10 am »
Under the rust the ceramic coating is gone so sanding will just expose bare steel. Of course the sanding process will remove the surrounding good ceramic too. I would probably just spray it with some rust reformer and wrap it again. With the wrap it’s going to start to rust again anyway so it doesn’t really matter.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 04:03:00 am »
Dave is pretty right, except, don't re-wrap it. The whole point of the ceramic is to create a thermal barrier and protect the pipe surface from corrosion. Unfortunately, the PO did 2 things wrong: should have coated the inside also, and should not have wrapped the pipe.

If the pipe rusted even through the ceramic, then the ceramic was poorly applied. But wrapping a pipe creates a lot of interior condensation and traps any moisture against the outside of the pipe, leading to rust.

Are you sure its truly ceramic coating and not high temp paint? Paint is easy to rust through, ceramic not so much. Its either a really poor job of ceramic coating, or its a ceramic-based paint. Jet Hot is the product most vendors use when treating exhausts, and its pretty darn durable. Even under wraps.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 04:43:23 am »
Oh I agree, don’t rewrap it. What I’d do is blast it clean and have the ceramic coating professionally applied inside and out. Pipes will last a while and look a lot better than if it’s wrapped.

Offline Xander^

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 05:40:53 am »
Oh I agree, don’t rewrap it. What I’d do is blast it clean and have the ceramic coating professionally applied inside and out. Pipes will last a while and look a lot better than if it’s wrapped.

thanks guys i think ill do this^
1977 CB750K cafe

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 02:19:12 pm »
Cool, post pictures when it’s done. Might inspire others to do the same.