Author Topic: Project Italjet Dragster 180cc 2 stroke  (Read 3458 times)

Offline AlBundy

• Enthusiast
Project Italjet Dragster 180cc 2 stroke
« on: October 12, 2018, 06:46:02 am »
I'm back with a new project and this time it's something totally different. Before I bought this bike I was planing to buy a Gilera Runner with the same engine. Gilera Runner was my first bike ever but it was only a moped with a 50cc cylinder, I was only 15 years old. The reason I got an Italjet instead of an Gilera is just because they look so freaking cool and special, there's nothing similar out there. Other things that pulled me to buy this bike, is that there's not many sold and the company that produced them went bankrupt only 4 years after this model.

So, what is my plan then? I want to make it even cooler than original, new paint, new bits, new tuning parts and some fixing. I have already bought some parts for it like a new Stage 6 intake with ports for boost bottle, new racing stage 6 reeds, new reed block, Doppler air filter, Kundo performance exhaust, Malossi Rollers, Malossi Boost bottle. Will also get an Malossi or Polini mulitvariator. In the future maybe a bigger carb, and a race or sport cylinder.

The things I need to fix on it before I start to modify it is to change the radiator, clean and de rust coolant pipes, clean and de rust the cylinder, (PO had water in the cooling system...) new bushings for the steering link. I have removed the parts on it and have started the cleaning process. I need some advice from someone with more experience with cleaning aluminum cylinders with steel walls. I was thinking to fill  up the space where the coolant should be with some vinegar  or phosphorus acid to make the rust go away. I don't really know if it is a good idea since the outer wall in the space is made of aluminum (last two pictures). What do you think?

Online Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Project Italjet Dragster 180cc 2 stroke
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 06:02:52 pm »
Mild acid should not attack the alloy. Note that soft drinks - weak phosphotic acid, this is why Coke makes a fair rust remover - come in aluminum cans.
You may cause galvanic corrosion though as aluminum and iron are quite reactive that way, and any acid is a good electrolyte. Don't leave the parts soaking a long time, and rinse very thoroughly. Use a coolant designed for aluminum blocks with iron sleeves.

Offline AlBundy

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 03:06:41 am »
Mild acid should not attack the alloy. Note that soft drinks - weak phosphoric acid, this is why Coke makes a fair rust remover - come in aluminum cans.
You may cause galvanic corrosion though as aluminum and iron are quite reactive that way, and any acid is a good electrolyte. Don't leave the parts soaking a long time, and rinse very thoroughly. Use a coolant designed for aluminum blocks with iron sleeves.

Thank you for the answer. I was a little bit wrong with the iron. The coolant does not come in contact with the iron. I first cleaned it with brake cleaner, then filled the coolant "space" with white vine vinegar, then phosphoric acid and also some oxalic acid (all separately). Not to long time, and I watched the process to not "hurt" the aluminum. Then brake cleaner again and some brass cleaner cal 35. The last I did was to give it a cleaning with an ultrasonic 2x times.

All brown color has not disappeared but I don't think it will be a problem more with "brown" water. Now I have to clean the coolant pipes also. Have filled them with white vinegar. Will let it sit for a week then I will fill it with phosphoric acid for 2 hours to give it some protection.

Offline AlBundy

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 04:55:54 am »
Have now finished the cleaning process for the coolant system. I am very pleased how it turned out. Have also received the new parts I've ordered from UK.

This is how I cleaned the tubes
1) Filled with whitewine vinegar for 1 week
2) Flushed the pipes with hot water and dish washer tablet
3) Mechanical cleaning with a thick wire and scoth brite
4) Whitevine vinegar for 2 days, heated to 60 degrees Celsius for 2 hours
5) Flushed the pipes with hot water and dish washer tablet
6) Filled with phosphoric acid for 2 hours, heated to 60 degrees Celsius
7) Flushed the pipes with hot water and dish washer tablet
8) Filled them with WD40 for some rust protection before I put the system together

There was a lot of rust in the pipes like you can see in the picture....

I have also removed the old paint and then sprayed it with some phosphoric acid. New paint after that.

Offline AlBundy

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 05:57:09 am »
Yesterday I was about to put the cylinder and the head together but the O-ring for the head in the genuine gasket kit I bought didn't fit. It is to big by some reason. Have ordered a Malossi kit instead, hope it will fit :)

New ss studs and base gasket fitted meanwhile..

Offline AlBundy

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 01:22:53 pm »
I just have to share this video. Any real Einsteins here who has skills in designing 2 stroke engines? This is a guy from Norway who I've been following on YouTube for some while now, he has some really interesting videos about 2 stroke engines. He is crazy but also fascinating.

He is trying to build the most powerful 2 stroke engine ever and he litterally needs help with modelling the exhaust duct with 20 degree downward angle all the way from the bore face to the flange. Doesn't say me so much (I don't have this knowledge) but it is interesting to know if there is someone in this forum who has these skills?

Offline AlBundy

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 03:02:42 am »
Today Italjet announced a new Italjet Dragster 125/200. It will be a 4 stroke, same engine that sits in the Aprilia. More specs will come. This is a must have for me! Been waiting to long for a new model. It will cost about 4500 euros. Don't know if it will come to the US market.

Offline AlBundy

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 02:16:56 am »
Has been a little while since last time. I have been working on the bike, no laziness here. Have cleaned the whole bike now, the only thing left is the prep work for the plastics. The rims has been sent away for glass blasting and high gloss black paint. I will paint the small bits by myself with some new 2k spray paint from Finland (Maston) :D

Have bought a new head also which should raise the compression to 12,5:1 from the original 9,8:1. It's a Kübler Racing Evo 2 head from Germany. I had to change the coil wire, cap and the spark plug since the new head has another thread diameter. The squish band is set at 1,0mm with a 0,4mm base gasket, should be between 0,9-1,2mm. The Polini Hi speed variator has also arrived :), should give higher top speed and better acceleration. I can't really decide which carb I should go with. I'm looking at some Dellortos 25-28mm but also PWK. Will have to do some more research and ask my new 2-stroke friends which one they run.

I'm expecting to get between 22-25 bhp with this setup, original is 17-18 bhp. I will probably do a dynotest to be sure..

All bushings on the bike has also been changed to oem Piaggio.

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 05:34:05 pm »
nice work, i rode one of these years ago when a mate of mine who owned a scooter shop here in melbourne brought one round one day

after years of riding normal ( manual) vespas and lambrettas it was a hell of a shock, seriously fast, went round corners and brakes that would put you over the handlebars
i blame Terry

Offline AlBundy

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 10:58:42 pm »
nice work, i rode one of these years ago when a mate of mine who owned a scooter shop here in melbourne brought one round one day

after years of riding normal ( manual) vespas and lambrettas it was a hell of a shock, seriously fast, went round corners and brakes that would put you over the handlebars

Thank you mate. Yeah these scooters are a joy to drive, really fast and a little bit dangerous sometimes  ;D The only negative thing with the Dragster compared to Gilera Runner is the lack of some parts. All parts are available in some way but a lot of them like plastics has to be bought over ebay or forums. This engine is the most powerful 2-stroke engine Piaggio has made. Sadly u can't buy something like this new anymore due to regulations from the authorities  >:(. Used ones are available but it's hard to find them, especially outside Europe. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:00:42 pm by AlBundy »

Offline AlBundy

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 08:06:52 am »
Since last time I have been working with the plastics. During the summer 2018 I spraypainted the plastics with 1k spraycan paint and it did not turn out so good (did it outside) :/. Lesson learned and I had to sand all old paint and strengthen my welding that I did in the summer. I armed the backside just to be sure that it wont crack again.

This time I painted the plastics with some new 2k paint in a spraycan. This paint is the real deal. Really good! It was really easy to work with it and I could not be happier with the result considering it's a spraycan paint. To be honest I did not expect it to turn out so good.

This is how I did:

1. Sanded old paint with 600 paper (took some time)
2. Washed everything
3. Cleaned with ethanol
4. Cleaned with "silicon remover" to remove the thin film which ethanol leaves
5. Plastic primer
6. Filler (yellow) 1K
7. Light wet sanding 800 grit
8. Cleaned with ethanol
9. Cleaned with "silicon remover" to remove the thin film which ethanol leaves
10. Primer (light grey) 2K
11. Primary coat (antrachite grey, ral 7016) 2K
12. Top coat (high gloss) 2K

Some minor "orange peel" appears but considering almost all new cars has it today and worse than mine I think it is ok :) The color looks more like Nardo Grey when its strong light and Antrachite when its more dark. I assume it has to do with the color from the undercoats. I like it though :D

Offline AlBundy

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 11:39:33 am »
And one picture out in the sun  :) this one has a small fingerprint on it. Don't know how I managed to put my finger on it.... Luckily it's not deep and it's hardly visible with the eye. I will try to wet sand it with 2000 and polish it when it has hardened. So annoying  >:(... Can you see the fingerprint? The "white" spots are just some reflections.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 11:41:17 am by AlBundy »

Offline AlBundy

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 11:35:11 pm »
Not so much time left until the inspection (one week exactly). I have to be finished with my bike last on Wednesday next week otherwise I have to wait until I get a new time for the regulatory inspection. These last days I have been working on the bike more than normal. Here are some pictures of the process. Like my Honda I can't hold my fingers from it, even though some parts on it is in good shape I have to fix it to be in perfect shape :D. My friend has also bought a scooter with the "crazy" Piaggio Engine. He has a Aprilia Sr 125 AC. For his bike we have ordered a big bore kit (Malossi 172cc), Dellorto Malossi MHR PHBL 25 BS, Polini Hi Speed variator kit, Malossi Delta Clutch, Malossi Intake Manifold, 180CC exhaust from Gilera Runner LC, Tuned exhaust Manifold +++ other bits. We will work with his bike when I'm finished with mine.

Since earlier I already have tuning parts for mine, so I don't need to order more parts :D I have also ordered the Malossi carb together with his order. Can't wait until I put the "visible"   tuned parts on it. It has to be after the inspection though. 

I ditched the original cooling pipes, they have only been restored. Have replaced them with rubber hoses instead and I have installed a fan switch that activates at 10 degrees (Celsius) lower than original. New radiator and cleaned the expansion tank. Have also painted the front "parts" on it and replaced the gaiter. The steering arm has new bushes and they are made to last longer than the original ones, Delrin material. This is a common problem with the Dragster and Formula, just like the coolant pipe that corrodes.

Offline AlBundy

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 03:03:46 am »
Hi!

The bike is now ready for the regulatory inspection which I have this Thursday. Took it out for a spin yesterday and it runs MAD! Really quick, big difference from original. I only have the high compression head on it for now because all other parts are visible for the inspection, except the Polini variator. That one will also be put on after the inspection. More things will be done on it like other turn signals, tail tidy, LED lamps and so on. The carburetor has also arrived from Germany :D The wheels has been spoiled with some reflective rim tape for safety and looks.

Offline AlBundy

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 03:00:23 am »
So. Bike passed the inspection without any problems. Now I can ride for two years until the next inspection :D

I have worked a lot on the bike and it's 99% finished. The last thing to do on it is to plasti dip the orange color on the rear view mirrors, and also the bar end plug. The original exhaust will also be painted to look fresh.

Bike is also fully tuned for now. In the future my plan is to buy a full circle crankshaft 54mm (orig 52mm) from Malossi, port and bore the cylinder to 183cc, a racing exhaust and a reedblock from a RD350. Before I do that I need to buy a new crankcase (complete engine). I don't want to "destroy" the original one with hardcore tuning. That will get around 30-35 bhp. That's crazy for this little bike!

This is what I have done to the bike:
Frame, Wheels & Suspension
- Cleaned the frame and repaired small rust spots
- Cleaned the suspensions, harder setting
- New bushings swing arm
- New bushing unknowing arm
- New custom made bushings (Deleon) for the steering arm (weak spot one these bikes)
- New paint on wheels
- Tricolor rim tape
- New valves

Brakes
- New brake fluid
- Cleaned calipers and brake pads

Bodywork
- Some new plastics
- Repaired plastics
- Painted all plastics
- Removed passenger grips (stupid construction)
- Home made rear bracket for tail tidy
- Tail tidy

Engine
- Cleaned engine
- Jubilee Racing CNC head 12,5:1 compression (orig 9,8:1)
- New coil wire with D9EA spark plug
- New gearbox oil
- Polini Maxispeed variator with 16,0g rollers
- Polini aramid belt
- New oil pump belt
- Malossi green clutch spring (higher rpm clutch engagement)
- Dellorto Malossi 25mm carburetor
- Polini podfilter (earlier Doppler)
- Malossi boost bottle
- Stage 6 intakekit
- Stage 6 Reedblock
- Kundo exhaust (currently using the original since I have hard to tune in the Kundo, it only gives better sound..)
- New rubber hosing for the cooling system
- New radiator
- Voca Racing fan switch with 10 degrees lower activation

Electric
- Led flow turn lights with brake function
- New blacked out front turn signals
- Smoked rear lens

I have certainly forgot something but that's almost all.

The bike hits 148 kmh on the speedo and with GPS 132 kmh. It has great acceleration also, easy to get it up on one wheel.

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 04:07:05 pm »
well done, enjoy the insanity
i blame Terry

Offline AlBundy

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 02:58:42 am »