Author Topic: Frame and Engine VINs  (Read 1443 times)

Offline txtiger

Frame and Engine VINs
« on: October 14, 2018, 03:50:52 pm »
I have a 1974 CB550k. It’s a cherry 8,200 mile bike. Paint is near perfect, chrome is excellent and original exhaust. It appears completely original, but my frame VIN is 5,583 lower than the engine VIN. Frame is CB550 102 8xxx, engine CB550E 103 4xxx. Can this be the original engine? My ‘75 400f is only off by about 20 numbers. Thanks for any input.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Frame and Engine VINs
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 04:10:29 pm »
Frame and engine numbers are random. Assembled in different locations and then joined elsewhere. Probably more due to demand and volume than your 400.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 07:46:09 pm »
 5 K is a big spread.  Usually within 500 or less..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 05:06:21 am »
Probably not the original engine but  there is no central database of serial number records that I know of where this could be confirmed. Honda would have recorded serials at the factories... but they have told others who looked for info like this that it no longer exists. Some jurisdictions did take both numbers when registering - not many, and tracking registration back is close to impossible. Some just used the frame number, some used the engine number.
A warranty engine replacement, rare but not unknown, could be the reason. More likely: a PO replaced a badly damaged motor.
I think if being 100% original is important to you for some reason, confirming it is not possible.

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 06:20:10 am »
 Could be an in factory repair or dealer warranty bike.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline trigger

• Enthusiast
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 03:58:01 pm »
CB550 numbers can be all over the place.
In the UK and Europe we still had the CB750 K2 up to 1975 so, you can have a frame number starting with 20***** and a engine number starting with 20*****,22*****,23***** depending on year . A few thousand apart  ;D ;D

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 11:02:48 pm »
As Trigger said it is very complicated  The 500K1 was being built alongside the 550K0 only for the UK until76 I think.
Honda never supplied complete, numbered, engines as a spare,  any damage under warantee had to be repaired using individual parts and stripdown. New cases came unstamped and original number had to be stamped in by dealer, same with frames but i know in UK a few dealers stripped down new crated bikes in the first few months to get accident spares before Honda had built up a knowledge of what spares were needed fast. If it has theyellow paint on the main bolts it is probably original and nobody can prove different anyway unless you find several close frame numbers and check the engine numbers against that
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 01:58:23 am »
the numbers can be miles apart and are never close,the uncanny thing though is I bought a pair of cb550 motors from Canberra once(im near Brisbane QLD)and a fair while later I bought a motor locally,the local motor was exactly ten numbers away from one of the ones from Canberra?they would've travelled down the factory line together then get shipped across the globe and separated then end up at my place!

Offline txtiger

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 03:32:09 am »
Thanks for the info guys, greatly appreciated.

Offline The Lone Builder

• Hot Shot
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 03:19:45 am »
CB550 numbers can be all over the place.
In the UK and Europe we still had the CB750 K2 up to 1975 so, you can have a frame number starting with 20***** and a engine number starting with 20*****,22*****,23***** depending on year . A few thousand apart  ;D ;D

+1
My 750 frame number is 208... and the engine number is 231...
CB750 K2 - From Belfast-2-Belfast
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - Stalled.
CB400F Supersport - Not Rusty any more!

Follow my journey through Africa @ http://Belfast2BelfastByBike.com

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 03:36:29 am »
Lone Builder, is that you in this picture?
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."