Author Topic: Air in hydraulic brake switch?  (Read 950 times)

Offline The Lone Builder

• Hot Shot
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
Air in hydraulic brake switch?
« on: October 26, 2018, 06:09:05 am »
I've been battling with my front brake, trying to get it to stiffen up. I think, after trying every trick mentioned on forum, that I have it as good as it's gonna get.

The last frustration is that the front brake switch is not working. It was working previously - just after fitting - and the wiring is OK.

Could it be that there is a pocket of air stuck in the switch that is stopping it from working? If so how can I try to get this out without introducing more air into the system?

I thought of just using the switch as a bleeding point, but as y'all know, the switch is not exactly accessible and this approach will spill brake fluid all over the lower yoke.

Cheers

Sean
CB750 K2 - From Belfast-2-Belfast
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - Stalled.
CB400F Supersport - Not Rusty any more!

Follow my journey through Africa @ http://Belfast2BelfastByBike.com

Offline Henning

• Hot Shot
Re: Air in hydraulic brake switch?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 06:45:19 am »
The switch has most likely passed on, I doubt it has anything to do with air in the system so only option is replacement. Have had this happen to me before. When you get it off you can poke a matchstick down the hole at the back to see if you can get it to activate.
Re. your soggy front brake lever, I can relate that recently I replaced the caliper on mine with a good used one from a member here. The brake bled right up and I've never had a firmer brake lever. Go figure, I did exactly what I've done half a dozen times before and the result is just better, I didn't touch anything but the caliper leading me to think there was something wrong with the old one.

P.S. Enjoying what you are doing down there, I'm from Cape Town myself, now resident in Denmark.
71 or thereabouts 750 K1 - this one should have been put down

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 06:53:08 am »
Did you do the whole "bike on sidestand bars locked left lever ziptied half-back over night" trick?

Give that switch a few taps with a rubber mallet or screwdriver handle and it should pop the air bubbles out with the bike in that position. It should no affect the switch's operation.

Have you checked the switch for continuity with a voltmeter when you squeeze the brake lever?
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 08:20:17 am »
The last frustration is that the front brake switch is not working. It was working previously - just after fitting - and the wiring is OK.

Lone Builder, I had a similar problem and it turned out to be broken wires in the harness. The copper strands were broken inside the plastic jacket: the wires looked ok, worked ok sometimes, but tested bad when flexing the brake light wires.
 A couple butt splices and some super flex wire and it has been good for 15? years.

I have also had success with evanphi's tie the lever back method.

...and, nice photos at the lake. Extra quiet places are super.
71 CB750 K1
100,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Offline The Lone Builder

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 12:38:57 pm »
The switch has most likely passed on, I doubt it has anything to do with air in the system so only option is replacement. Have had this happen to me before. When you get it off you can poke a matchstick down the hole at the back to see if you can get it to activate.
Re. your soggy front brake lever, I can relate that recently I replaced the caliper on mine with a good used one from a member here. The brake bled right up and I've never had a firmer brake lever. Go figure, I did exactly what I've done half a dozen times before and the result is just better, I didn't touch anything but the caliper leading me to think there was something wrong with the old one.

P.S. Enjoying what you are doing down there, I'm from Cape Town myself, now resident in Denmark.

The switch, Henning, is a new one; I used it instead of the original during the rebuild. Maybe I'll try the old one, if I can find it. I was also thinking of trying a different capiler, but the old pad/cylinder is stuck in there. The weather here is still better!  ;D

Did you do the whole "bike on sidestand bars locked left lever ziptied half-back over night" trick?

Give that switch a few taps with a rubber mallet or screwdriver handle and it should pop the air bubbles out with the bike in that position. It should no affect the switch's operation.

Have you checked the switch for continuity with a voltmeter when you squeeze the brake lever?

Haven't tried it with the bike on side stand, but I've done everything else. Will give it a go.

Lone Builder, I had a similar problem and it turned out to be broken wires in the harness. The copper strands were broken inside the plastic jacket: the wires looked ok, worked ok sometimes, but tested bad when flexing the brake light wires.
 A couple butt splices and some super flex wire and it has been good for 15? years.

I have also had success with evanphi's tie the lever back method.

...and, nice photos at the lake. Extra quiet places are super.

The wiring is Ok, Kevin. Jumping the connections lights up the light. The harness has been "sorted" during the rebuild.

Seventeenth century French scientist Blaise Pascal is perhaps best remembered for his contributions to the field of pure geometry. In the 39 years that he lived, he found time to invent such modern day fundamentals as the syringe, the hydraulic press, and the first digital calculator. And, if that weren't enough, he was also a profound philosopher. He said,

"All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone."

Perhaps if he had a lake to sit beside ...

Sean

CB450 K1 - Stalled.

Offline ADW

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 01:20:31 pm »
I would suggest removing the switch and using a syringe, eyedropper, something like that to fill the switch with brake fluid BEFORE you screw it on. The surface tension of the brake fluid should hold it into the switch if you're quick enough on the install. If you installed the switch dry it may not have any capillary action to help "pull in the fluid" and "let out the air bubble".

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 07:00:58 am »
There is no magic in brake fluid, the switch works on pressure whether air or fluid pressure. Air in there will contribute to a mushy lever feel but can not affect the switch function.
Either the switch or its harness wiring is causing your problem.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 03:03:43 am »
Just because it is new does not mean it is any good. Spent hours chasing faults caused by "new" parts
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline The Lone Builder

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 02:34:26 am »
Ha!

Well now; yesterday, before reading this, I did exactly what ADW suggested - great minds and all that  :). While I had it out, I checked the operation of the switch using a 3mm allen key and it seems to be working. I attached it to the wiring and tried again with the allen key; the stop light lit up fine, so, as I said earlier, the wiring is OK and it would seem the switch is too.

However when I reinstalled it ....... no difference  :(  No light and lever still a bit soft. Stupidly, I forgot to put the washer on when reinstalling; woudl this make any difference?  - no leaks.

Now a question. Has anyone taken one of these switches apart? I was using a syringe with a hypodermic needle and it felt as if there was a rubber "something" in there. It didn't cover the comlpete channel; it seemed to be on one side only.
CB450 K1 - Stalled.

Offline Henning

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 10:20:45 am »
There will be a diaphragm of sorts in there with brake fluid on the one side and air on the other. If the diaphragm is broken and there's fluid on both sides it won't work, but it'll still be possible to activate the switch with your Allen key. Like I said, it's gone south  ::) Life's too short to spend time trying to repair something like that.
71 or thereabouts 750 K1 - this one should have been put down

Offline The Lone Builder

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 03:06:49 am »
Thanks.

Just got a new one. Will fit it over the weekend.

CB450 K1 - Stalled.

Offline The Lone Builder

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 11:47:50 am »
Well I didn't fit the new switch over the weekend, but I did it this weekend, just a few weekends down the line.  :)

In the new switch I could feel the diaphragm with a blunt probe. I primed the switch using a syringe and fitted it and hey presto! The brake light worked. I was also able to get a bit more stiffness in the brake, so that was good as well.

I also decided to tackle my intermittent neutral indicator switch this weekend. The problem was that the light didn't go off all the time. A search on the forum suggested that an incorrectly sized o-ring could cause the problem. So with a bit of a struggle, I got the switch out and checked the o-ring. It was the right size, but - see pic.

I didn't have a new one, but my parts bike had one. It didn't quite match up to 3 x 18, but was better than the one I just took out. So I put it in and having removed the muffler to get access replaced the switch. All well and working perfectly!!

So two issues sorted. now on to the chain oiler!!

CB450 K1 - Stalled.