Author Topic: Old mercury Motion Pro carb sync tool - whitout mercury...  (Read 6124 times)

Neuxstone and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline stou

• Enthusiast
    • Stoudesign
Old mercury Motion Pro carb sync tool - whitout mercury...
« on: October 28, 2018, 09:16:30 am »
I had a bad luck this morning! The buttom hose at the back of my Motion Pro carb sync tool disconected and all the mercury went down. I know it is very hard to get mercury now. I just wonder if it can work with oil?

Anyone had this kind of problem? I searched but didn't found nothing on replacement fluid that can work other than mercury.

Honda CR125M1 1974
Honda CB750K7 1977
Honda TLR200 1986
OSSA TR280i Trial
KTM 890 Adventure R 2021
My CB750 build: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174710.0.html

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: Old mercury Motion Pro carb sync tool - whitout mercury...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 09:19:24 am »
 Wonder if automatic trans fluid would work ??

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 10:08:16 am »
Iā€™m pretty sure the tube lengths are unique to the weight of mercury. The tool might be a paperweight without mercury.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline beemerbum

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 10:30:50 am »
I hope you were careful with the spilled Hg. That stuff is highly toxic

Offline carnivorous chicken

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 12:22:34 pm »
You can order it from Oregon -- there is a guy who makes the same style tool as the old Motion Pro mercury ones, and he sells replacement vial of mercury. I ordered it and received it when I lived in Boston -- I am guessing OR is more lax when it comes to selling the stuff, and wasn't sure that it would arrive in MA but it did, and the box had some kind of hazardous content labelling. Dig around and see if you can find it, if not I can try to look it up, although it's been 3-4 years.

Offline stou

• Enthusiast
    • Stoudesign
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 12:27:29 pm »
I don't think mercury will pass the border to Canada ;-)

I did a test with some light trans oil and I think it will work. I have a friend's bike to sync next week, I'll let you know if it work with light oil.
Honda CR125M1 1974
Honda CB750K7 1977
Honda TLR200 1986
OSSA TR280i Trial
KTM 890 Adventure R 2021
My CB750 build: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174710.0.html

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 03:07:11 pm »
It isn't the viscosity that matters, it's the specific gravity - mass per volume. Oil is lighter than water. Mercury is 13.6 times heavier than water.
Try whatever you like, but I believe no other fluid will suffice in carb sticks designed for mercury.
And be careful about the spilled mercury. Try and vacuum it up and then dispose of the filter bag. Technically it will be hazardous waste and illegal to toss in household garbage in pretty much any jurisdiction.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 04:29:03 pm »
Funny, i dont remember how many mercury thermometers i broke in my bed when i was a kid.

Nowadays, Americans would evacuate the whole house, because everybody knows that mercury kills on sight.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 04:45:33 pm »
I agree. Pure paranoia.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 04:57:27 pm »
 Someone should have some scrap mercury.
 Bad part is you can't just run an ad without drawing attention.
 Trying to think of a trade that used it a lot..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline pjlogue

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 05:15:50 pm »
You might try a science supply house.

-P.

Offline Tracksnblades1

• My Son was a collegiate competition Trap, Skeet, and sporting Clay
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 07:37:01 pm »
If you want to split hairs. Water column manometers will work to sync with.
Howerever they tend to be tall if using u-tube type.
1" mercury= 13.609" of water

Or 13.595" seems to be a disagreement.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 07:42:28 pm by Tracksnblades1 »
Age Quod Agis

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 11:17:59 pm »
Might try scavenging some junk yards for under the hood light switches. They used mercury in those for quite some  time. Also heater thermostats for houses used mercury. Just a thought if everything else is a dead end.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:19:35 pm by jgger »
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline awrawr

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 01:14:06 am »
I made my own set of water manometers. THe tube length for the open ended type would be impractical for water, so i bunged up one end, taking care to ensure all four were bunged up with an equal level of water (dyed blue for better visibility). This is easily achieved  by fixing  the 4 lengths of plastic tube to a plank  and  filling them with blue water and then adjusting their relative heights until all the levels are the same and then chopping off the tops at an equal height and bunging the open ends up to make an airtight seal using a suitable size screw with some silicone sealant . The gap between the top of the water and the sealed end forms a partial vacuum called the torricelli vacuum (google it) when you apply suction to the open end ( for example when you connect a running engine). Volume of the trapped air in all four tubes has to be the same for the water levels to respond identically to changes in vacuum from the engine.

Provided you calibrate them so that all the water levels are equal AND they all have the same volume of air trapped in the blind sealed end AND there is sufficient vacuum to prevent the suction from the engine drawing the water through into the combustion chambers, you will have four equally accurate manometers capable of balancing your carburettors very nicely.

I connected the open end of the plastic tube to the inlet pilot holes using 6mm brake nipples cut down so they didn't interfere with the air flow inside the air inlet stubs. As the engine warms up the plastic tube did tend to get a bit sticky but this just means you have to be quick or perhaps use a water spray to apply localised cooling. (I was just qucik).

When the engine is running the water levels jump about quite a lot but when you start adjusting the carburettors you can get a very good sense of the right level. I guess if you experimented further with the size of the vacuum and the length of tube and the amount of water, you could reduce the amount of bounce.

All for the price of of 30 m of 3mm or 4mm ID (can't remember) clear plastic tubing, four 6mm brake bleed nipples and a little effort.

I achieved my best ever carb balance with this method. Arguably more accurate than four pressure gauges.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 01:50:22 am by awrawr »

Offline Bru-tom

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 02:29:18 am »
I made my own set of water manometers. THe tube length for the open ended type would be impractical for water, so i bunged up one end, taking care to ensure all four were bunged up with an equal level of water (dyed blue for better visibility). This is easily achieved  by fixing  the 4 lengths of plastic tube to a plank  and  filling them with blue water and then adjusting their relative heights until all the levels are the same and then chopping off the tops at an equal height and bunging the open ends up to make an airtight seal using a suitable size screw with some silicone sealant . The gap between the top of the water and the sealed end forms a partial vacuum called the torricelli vacuum (google it) when you apply suction to the open end ( for example when you connect a running engine). Volume of the trapped air in all four tubes has to be the same for the water levels to respond identically to changes in vacuum from the engine.

Provided you calibrate them so that all the water levels are equal AND they all have the same volume of air trapped in the blind sealed end AND there is sufficient vacuum to prevent the suction from the engine drawing the water through into the combustion chambers, you will have four equally accurate manometers capable of balancing your carburettors very nicely.

I connected the open end of the plastic tube to the inlet pilot holes using 6mm brake nipples cut down so they didn't interfere with the air flow inside the air inlet stubs. As the engine warms up the plastic tube did tend to get a bit sticky but this just means you have to be quick or perhaps use a water spray to apply localised cooling. (I was just qucik).

When the engine is running the water levels jump about quite a lot but when you start adjusting the carburettors you can get a very good sense of the right level. I guess if you experimented further with the size of the vacuum and the length of tube and the amount of water, you could reduce the amount of bounce.

All for the price of of 30 m of 3mm or 4mm ID (can't remember) clear plastic tubing, four 6mm brake bleed nipples and a little effort.

I achieved my best ever carb balance with this method. Arguably more accurate than four pressure gauges.

this is exactly how i built mine.

May i suggest using a higher viscosity fluid such as 2 stroke oil or atf. the water "bounces around" a lot less than water would in the tubes. Plus if any gets sucked up quickly due to a large imbalance, at least the 2 stroke oil is combustible unlike the water.

Also, i added vacuum restrictions in the pipes just before they meet the intake "nipples", this added an extra reduction in vacuum so as to not allow the levels to fluctuate so much. call it a buffer of sorts. i used small .22mm empty cartridges with 1mm holes i drilled into them, they are a nice tight squeeze into the pipes. you could use anything that will essentially block the end of the pipe that will allow you to drill through, and allow a "regulated" amount of air through at a time... This helped me out a lot and made the Manometer a lot more user friendly.

Offline awrawr

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 03:00:29 am »
Good idea. I will try oil next time I do this.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 06:24:08 am »
 Morgan time ;)   https://www.carbtune.com/

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 06:31:54 am »
I hope you were careful with the spilled Hg. That stuff is highly toxic

Only toxic to vertebrates. Maybe invertebrates too...

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 08:25:04 am »
I got one of those somewhere too.   The sync tool I made from Surplus center manometers works well, but maybe the old Motion Pro deserves to be revived.

• Master
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 09:40:46 am »

I'll second this -- I left my mercury sync tool in Boston and picked up a Morgan.

Online Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 09:53:53 am »

I'll second this -- I left my mercury sync tool in Boston and picked up a Morgan.
Yeah, we know, we know but we admire much more the people that create something using their brain and hands. Although I share a professional EFKA synchronisation set (that I haven't used in years btw) I still like to build a DIY set and make it perfect, just for the fun of it. Beats buying.
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

• Master
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 10:49:45 am »
Yeah, we know, we know but we admire much more the people that create something using their brain and hands. Although I share a professional EFKA synchronisation set (that I haven't used in years btw) I still like to build a DIY set and make it perfect, just for the fun of it. Beats buying.

I have bikes in different places and one of the advantages of the morgan is its portability. But of course, to each his/her own.

Offline awrawr

• Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 02:49:40 pm »

Don't know if they were available in 1988?

Offline pjlogue

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2018, 05:30:01 pm »
For the cost of Hg you could get a Morgan and have $ left over.

-P.

Online PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2018, 10:45:27 pm »
I got mercury in my teeth until people started to think its toxic and forbid it.
What about a new synch tool? Like Morgan carbtune.
CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967