Author Topic: What would cause this problem I've had starting my bike?  (Read 602 times)

Offline juntjoo

• Expert
What would cause this problem I've had starting my bike?
« on: November 09, 2018, 11:31:18 am »
Once fired up it (was) doing fine. This was a few months back first half of the summer before  a mechanic messed things up(if anyone remembers). I'm in the process of putting it back together and before doing so I just want to make sure I check all needed checked before I bolt it all up. It just felt like it needed more choke I guess. So my first thought was that little fork, if anyone is so familiar, that is cam actuated by the choke mechanism opening the throttle a tiny bit. I had adjusted it a couple times I recall to get it just right and it was perfect last done last winter so I thought it strange during early summer I'd have an issue hence I'm here wondering what else it could be. No other symptoms/issues with it. I just had to crank it over a lot, like as far as warming it up it felt, then after a few firings it would settle on and run just fine.

If no other ideas I may just pry that fork open a bit again but it's setting is so sensitive that point five a millimeter too much and the engine will soar with choke. Thanks guys!
-Ben

82 Nighthawk 650..

1982 Honda Nighthawk...

I HAVE A 1982 HONDA NIGHTHAWK FFS! j/k. It's my only bike, my first and last.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: What would cause this problem I've had starting my bike?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 11:35:32 am »
Would help to know what bike and what carbs
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline juntjoo

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 11:39:26 am »
82 nighthawk 650. Thought it was in my sig or somewhere. Carbs are stock. The ones with CV I believe. The cylinders the use vacuum
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:11:12 pm by juntjoo »
-Ben

82 Nighthawk 650..

1982 Honda Nighthawk...

I HAVE A 1982 HONDA NIGHTHAWK FFS! j/k. It's my only bike, my first and last.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 01:14:12 am »
You may have a bike in your sig but thar does not mean it is the one you are working on. Make sure all the carb diaphragms are in good order and slides move freely. Dont have a manual for that one but in all the Honda manuals i have there is detailed info on setting up carbs and choke mechanisms.
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 02:48:15 am »
Doesn't this manual covers yours? http://cosky0.tripod.com/
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."