Author Topic: Engine cases for a K0 750  (Read 712 times)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Engine cases for a K0 750
« on: December 12, 2018, 05:27:07 pm »
I have my cases split for my K0 750. What do you all use or how do you all clean them prior to reassembly? I need to have the sprocket cover top bolt section welded then I'll be able to prep it to be reassembled.

Thanks in advance
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline kmb69

• Master
Re: Engine cases for a K0 750
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 05:29:51 pm »
Vapor blasting is the best way I know of.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 05:34:45 pm »
Vapor blasting is the best way I know of.

Kmb, I've read stories of members on here having their cases vapor blasted. However some have had issues with particles being inside hard to reach areas to clean? Am I misremembering?
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 08:19:31 pm »
I have had Nils do 4 sets for me with no issues.
Obviously oil passages, threaded holes, and critical surfaces need to be masked off.
The vapor blasted cases look like brand new castings. They need to be painted to replicate factory preparation.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 04:22:15 am »
Whether glass beading, soda blasting, or vapor blasting, all these processes use a media component. Your cases need to be flushed (oil galleys) and threaded holes cleaned prior to reassembly.

Personally, I would send them to Nils. His work is excellent, his prep and protection are second to none, and the finish is beyond gorgeous. You still need to use compressed air and some Carb Cleaner to flush the galleys and holes. I say Carb Cleaner and not Brake Cleaner as Carb Cleaners have an anti-oxidant in them that will not discolor or stain your cases. Brake cleaners can.

Tews, see your FIL and borrow some thread chasing taps. Apply a tiny bit of oil, and run them in each case hose. Spray down the tap after extracting. You’ll be surprised by how much media you collect. Be super diligent and the outcome will be superlative.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline trigger

• Enthusiast
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 02:27:00 pm »
I never vapour blast the engines, too much risk is involved.
All my engines get chemically stripped, which removes all the old paint and lacquer, then we only dry blast cases that have no oil ways . Before any dry blasting to the barrels, the liners are removed first and is the only way to clean out the fins. The only part we strip by hand is the cam chain tensioner housing as it has a seal inside that can very easy get damaged from the chemicals or peening  ;)

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 02:58:18 pm »
I never vapour blast the engines, too much risk is involved.
??? Risk? Put down the hukka pipe, please.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 03:24:19 pm »
I have had Nils do 4 sets for me with no issues.

Nils did my H2 cases with no issues as well.   However, I did not paint them as the Kawasaki motors came "naked" back then.

The finish is so beautiful it's almost a waste of time and paint to coat them after vapor [unless going for the Honda factory look]
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 02:45:39 pm »

Personally, I would send them to Nils. His work is excellent, his prep and protection are second to none, and the finish is beyond gorgeous.

Cal - do you know what Nils uses to protect the surface after vaporizing? ACF -50?

My H2 motor still looks great but wondering if I should apply another coat?

May be a question best sent to Nils.

Thanks
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........