Author Topic: Route 66....(planning)  (Read 1689 times)

Offline mihai.i

• Sorry for my english!
Route 66....(planning)
« on: December 18, 2018, 04:45:22 am »
Greetings from Romania

My name is Mihai, i live in Bucharest, Romania, and I have a few motorcycle ( Honda Cb550, Honda Dax replica , Honda xrl250 Baja and a Suzuki Tu250x). I made a lot of trips in my contry and also in some country in Europe.

i`ve been in USA in 2016, in New York for two weeks and I had o lot of fun and your advices helped me a lot, but, unfortunately, i didn`t had the chance to ride a motorcycle is USA, but it seems that I might get a second chance....

So....this is the story:

A few days ago, a friend of my wife that lives and work in New York told her that she wants to buy a car in 2019 and she would like to travel across USA on the old ROUTE 66 and invited us to join her on the way.
Well....that sounds great, but I think to myself...wouldn't it be even greater if I ride a motorcycle and my wife will ride with her friend in the car??? Sure do!!!
So, I didn`t told my wife my plans yet because I want to see if I can find a way to not spend a lot of money.

First of all I found that I can rent a motorcycle, but the prices are like 3.000-4.000 dollars for a period of three to four weeks ( for e.g. eaglerider) and that is way to much for me.
Another option that is more cheaper is to buy a cheap but good motorcycle on craiglist or ebay or o local dealer in NY ( for a buget like 1.000 dollars) and ride all the way or part of the trip.

I don`t think that i could find a good Honda Four in New York to ride it to Los Angeles, but I hope that i will find a good japanese bike to ride. I prefer japan motorycle because i know how to work on them. In never owened a Harley or Indian.
I would like to find one with minum 500cc displacement, 2 cylindres...touring or cruiser...but I am happy to find anything that will get me from New York to LA :)))

So i need some advices from you regarding this possible ride:

1) Do you know cheaper rental motorcycle in New York?

2) It is possible to find a good motorcycle to buy in New York for maximum 1.000 dollars?

3) Have you made this trip with your motorcycle? Do you have some tips regarding the trip?

4) I would like to talk more about Route 66!!!

Cheers,

Mihai

P.S. Sorry for my english!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 04:56:26 am by mihai.i »
Honda Cb550k 1978

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: Route 66....(planning)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 08:21:33 am »
Hello from Texas Mihai...

That is an ambitious trip you have in mind!   Do you know it is 2800 miles from N.Y to L.A.?! [4500 km]

Yes, it can be done but on a new-to-you $1000 motorcycle?  I would have concerns about this, one little issue could ruin your trip.

Since it is very expensive to rent a bike for the entire trip, how 'bout renting a bike for a portion of the trip?  Not sure of your route, but riding through the Rocky Mountains would be a ride you will never forget!

No need to apologise for your English, I have no problem understanding you
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Gene

• Chat enuf you too can be a
  • Master
  • One bike is enuf, change my mind
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 11:17:47 am »
Hello from California! I'll leave the bike rental/purchase to better minds than mine, but I can tell you a little about Route 66.

There are portions of it that are still like the old route, it is indeed a beautiful ride. You can find these spots with a simple search. A lot of great scenery in routes out west - AZ, NM, CA even to a point - but, a lot of it is gone and has been re-routed onto the main Interstate highways. I don't want you to be too disappointed when you find that out ;).

All said, though, you can't go wrong crossing the country, but it's a haul. Good luck in your quest - I look forward to seeing the updates.
*1973 CB750K3 (Bow)

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 06:29:59 pm »
Hi Mihai,

Yes it can be done - where there is a will there is a way!

In 2004, 10 international friends and myself rode from LA to New Orleans on portions of Rt66 following the route in the  movie Easy Rider - all details can be found here:

http://easyridertrip.de/trip.htm

I basically posted the idea on the SOHC forum back then and lots of people replied! 3 guys from England/Scotland/Germany bought CB750s off Ebay in LA for ~$1000 or less and rode them -only one didnt make it as head gasket blew on Rt 66. So it is possible. You just need to find a bike!

Also before this trip I did my first trans-USA trip from Cape Cod to the Grand Canyon and back to Missouri (7000 miles, 3-4 weeks) on a 1975 Honda CB750 that I bought from the classified ads - no Ebay in 1991 :).

So its as easy as finding a bike for sale - check ADVrider forum in the bikes for sale section - there are always good bikes for sale there.

https://advrider.com/

Good luck and let me know if I can help. I am in Boston but NYC is not so far  8)

cheers
Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 08:33:47 pm »
 So, did it happen yet? One idea is buy a little better bike at a dealer and plan to sell it at the other end. Also keeping up with a car is difficult unless they are willing to take their time. Gas and rest stops take longer. 
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.