testy

Author Topic: Route 66....(planning)  (Read 238 times)

Offline mihai.i

• Sorry for my english!
Route 66....(planning)
« on: December 18, 2018, 04:45:22 am »
Greetings from Romania

My name is Mihai, i live in Bucharest, Romania, and I have a few motorcycle ( Honda Cb550, Honda Dax replica , Honda xrl250 Baja and a Suzuki Tu250x). I made a lot of trips in my contry and also in some country in Europe.

i`ve been in USA in 2016, in New York for two weeks and I had o lot of fun and your advices helped me a lot, but, unfortunately, i didn`t had the chance to ride a motorcycle is USA, but it seems that I might get a second chance....

So....this is the story:

A few days ago, a friend of my wife that lives and work in New York told her that she wants to buy a car in 2019 and she would like to travel across USA on the old ROUTE 66 and invited us to join her on the way.
Well....that sounds great, but I think to myself...wouldn't it be even greater if I ride a motorcycle and my wife will ride with her friend in the car??? Sure do!!!
So, I didn`t told my wife my plans yet because I want to see if I can find a way to not spend a lot of money.

First of all I found that I can rent a motorcycle, but the prices are like 3.000-4.000 dollars for a period of three to four weeks ( for e.g. eaglerider) and that is way to much for me.
Another option that is more cheaper is to buy a cheap but good motorcycle on craiglist or ebay or o local dealer in NY ( for a buget like 1.000 dollars) and ride all the way or part of the trip.

I don`t think that i could find a good Honda Four in New York to ride it to Los Angeles, but I hope that i will find a good japanese bike to ride. I prefer japan motorycle because i know how to work on them. In never owened a Harley or Indian.
I would like to find one with minum 500cc displacement, 2 cylindres...touring or cruiser...but I am happy to find anything that will get me from New York to LA :)))

So i need some advices from you regarding this possible ride:

1) Do you know cheaper rental motorcycle in New York?

2) It is possible to find a good motorcycle to buy in New York for maximum 1.000 dollars?

3) Have you made this trip with your motorcycle? Do you have some tips regarding the trip?

4) I would like to talk more about Route 66!!!

Cheers,

Mihai

P.S. Sorry for my english!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 04:56:26 am by mihai.i »
Honda Cb550k 1978

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: Route 66....(planning)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 08:21:33 am »
Hello from Texas Mihai...

That is an ambitious trip you have in mind!   Do you know it is 2800 miles from N.Y to L.A.?! [4500 km]

Yes, it can be done but on a new-to-you $1000 motorcycle?  I would have concerns about this, one little issue could ruin your trip.

Since it is very expensive to rent a bike for the entire trip, how 'bout renting a bike for a portion of the trip?  Not sure of your route, but riding through the Rocky Mountains would be a ride you will never forget!

No need to apologise for your English, I have no problem understanding you
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer.....K5 Fiddy Dolla Special!......CB500 Fiddy Dolla Special too!!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Gene

• Chat enuf you too can be a
  • Master
  • One bike is enuf, change my mind
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 11:17:47 am »
Hello from California! I'll leave the bike rental/purchase to better minds than mine, but I can tell you a little about Route 66.

There are portions of it that are still like the old route, it is indeed a beautiful ride. You can find these spots with a simple search. A lot of great scenery in routes out west - AZ, NM, CA even to a point - but, a lot of it is gone and has been re-routed onto the main Interstate highways. I don't want you to be too disappointed when you find that out ;).

All said, though, you can't go wrong crossing the country, but it's a haul. Good luck in your quest - I look forward to seeing the updates.
*1973 CB750K3 (Bow)

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 06:29:59 pm »
Hi Mihai,

Yes it can be done - where there is a will there is a way!

In 2004, 10 international friends and myself rode from LA to New Orleans on portions of Rt66 following the route in the  movie Easy Rider - all details can be found here:

http://easyridertrip.de/trip.htm

I basically posted the idea on the SOHC forum back then and lots of people replied! 3 guys from England/Scotland/Germany bought CB750s off Ebay in LA for ~$1000 or less and rode them -only one didnt make it as head gasket blew on Rt 66. So it is possible. You just need to find a bike!

Also before this trip I did my first trans-USA trip from Cape Cod to the Grand Canyon and back to Missouri (7000 miles, 3-4 weeks) on a 1975 Honda CB750 that I bought from the classified ads - no Ebay in 1991 :).

So its as easy as finding a bike for sale - check ADVrider forum in the bikes for sale section - there are always good bikes for sale there.

https://advrider.com/

Good luck and let me know if I can help. I am in Boston but NYC is not so far  8)

cheers
Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico (CB750K4), 2003 - European Tour (CB750K4), 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip (CB750K4), 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up (CB750K4) , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. VStrom DL1000 2003
4. XLR650L 2006

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 08:33:47 pm »
 So, did it happen yet? One idea is buy a little better bike at a dealer and plan to sell it at the other end. Also keeping up with a car is difficult unless they are willing to take their time. Gas and rest stops take longer. 
If the things you own end up owning you, it's better to be owned by some cool things.

;
Honda