Author Topic: Cognito Moto Aluminum Billet Air Box  (Read 8122 times)

Offline gwallis

• Enthusiast
  • 1976 Honda CB550F 1973 Honda CB750
Re: Cognito Moto Aluminum Billet Air Box
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 08:46:04 am »
I did the same thing on the Steel Dragon Air Box for my CB550F.  Except I basically covered both sides leaving about 4 inches of open space in the top and bottom of the air box.

The bike runs perfectly... in fact I just ordered one for my 1977 CB400F.

The only problem I have with Steel Dragon is that it seems that they are build to order and it takes some time for it to arrive.

Offline nevikwen

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 01:32:56 am »
Hi there, I'm also in the process of installing a one piece airbox from cognito but I'm running into clearance issues, was hoping if you guys could help me out. The choke pull lever is in the way as seen in the attached photos. Did any of you have this problem? how did you overcome it?  (I've got a 1978 CB550 btw, stock carbs)

Thanks
Kev

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 07:57:16 am »
Hi there, I'm also in the process of installing a one piece airbox from cognito but I'm running into clearance issues, was hoping if you guys could help me out. The choke pull lever is in the way as seen in the attached photos. Did any of you have this problem? how did you overcome it?  (I've got a 1978 CB550 btw, stock carbs)
I know Devin altered the design recently to aide in clearance. How recent was your purchase?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 09:14:15 am »

Thanks
Kev

That isn't the stock choke setup for the PD series carbs that came on the 77-78 550K's. The stock choke was cable actuated from a knob up by the left handlebar control.

I don't see how that setup works for any style of air filter or even velocity stacks since anything attached to the carb mouth would block access to that lever.

The lever on pre '76 550K's and all 550F's is located on the left side of carb#1.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline cb_n00b

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 09:27:36 am »
To Bankerdanny's point, is that the actual lever or is that the spot where the cable is supposed to connect to?

I have the PD46A carbs which are actuated by a cable that runs up by the ignition switch, and even when you pull it, the motion is more straight up and down the carb rather than a circular motion which yours looks to be doing?

Here's a video of what the carb actuating motion should look like
Do you know if that carb is actually original/factory stock? Or perhaps you have the actuator installed wrong?
1977 CB550K
- MotoGP Werks Exhaust / Stock Airbox
- Dyna S Ignition & Coils
- Motogadget M-Unit Blue
- 069A CB550F Carbs
- Beringer front brake kit

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2017, 01:52:17 pm »
Nevikwen - the cable perch for the pd chokes don’t swing out that far.

Either your hinge is jammed or the chokes improperly assembled.

Took a pic of some old pd’s for comparison.  The upper cable perch on my is bent (forgive me Soichiro) - but you can still see the orientation of the hinge and relationship with the cable coming from top down.

Cognito moto designed their box for those carbs.

Offline samm_j2

• Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2020, 02:41:29 pm »
super late to this post but just if anyone wants more feedback...

I have a 78 cb750 with the cognito airbox and it seemed solid at first until it fell off... twice... it seemed it did not want to fit around the carbs that well so I bored the box out slightly so it would sit more flush and then put two set screws, one on each side. seems to be doing great now and a clean alternative to the pods...