Author Topic: copper washers...  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Markagnew

copper washers...
« on: January 07, 2019, 04:54:26 am »
Hey guys, front fork question -

i have a 1977 cb750f1 super sport, the 8mm socket bolt and 8mm copper washer needs replacing, these two parts go into the bottom of the fork case to keep the fork pipe attached to the bottom fork case. Maybe two stupid questions here but ill ask...

1) do I have to replace the cooper seal with an original honda part or is the same size cooper seal say from a department store the same? I know the job it does and so I would say yes but first time venturing into forks.

2) the 8mm hex socket bolt, can I replace that with an identical s/s version rather than a original honda part - as very hard to get hold of cheaply in uk

thanks and again please go easy on me...

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: copper washers...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 07:06:57 am »
Yes to the bolt no to the washer as the washer has to be specific id and od to fit and generic 8mm id are way too big od. Unless the washer is damaged you can anneal and re use it.
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline Markagnew

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 07:28:24 am »
Unless the washer is damaged you can anneal and re use it.

How do I do this and thank you for your response!

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 07:32:25 am »
Hold it in a flame till it is glowing red. Don't forget to throw it some water before you pick it up.
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 07:36:01 am »
Hold it in a flame till it is glowing red. Don't forget to throw it some water before you pick it up.
Actually, drop it in cool water promptly while cherry red. Allowing it to cool “naturally” undermines the annealing process. Use a propane or Mapp torch to heat it. Thread a small wire through the center, dangle it in front of a flame for safety. Plop into cold water. Presto! Reinstall once cold (about 3’ after immersion). It’s now ready for reuse.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Markagnew

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:46:17 am »
Absolute wizardry at its finest! thank you so much for your help!

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 07:54:31 am »
Mark, if you are in the UK have you tried the UK site?
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 07:55:01 am »
Actually, drop it in cool water promptly while cherry red. Allowing it to cool “naturally” undermines the annealing process. Use a propane or Mapp torch to heat it. Thread a small wire through the center, dangle it in front of a flame for safety. Plop into cold water. Presto! Reinstall once cold (about 3’ after immersion). It’s now ready for reuse.

Yup, reverse process for steel.

Offline Markagnew

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 07:57:15 am »
no I haven't what is the UK site?

Offline 2wheels

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 08:47:53 am »
I am not sure about the UK.
I just go to my local honda car dealer.  Give them the part number of the bolt and washer.  They order and I have it in 2 days.  I think it was less than 20 dollars (canadian) for 2 bolts and 2 washers.
I did my 1978 forks a few years ago because my copper washer was leaking.

Did you phone your local honda car dealer and ask if they will order parts for you.  They just need a valid honda part number.  If the part you get is wrong that is your problem, they will not refund.
1970 CB750 K0 (I can't believe I tossed my duck tail seat in the trash 30 years ago)

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 09:02:29 am »
Sohc.co.uk mate.
There are more bike dealers than car dealers in UK

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 10:33:01 am »
I have tightened same copper washer under forks several times without any heating. Same with the small washers for small fork oil drain plugs. CB750 K6 fork
CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline Markagnew

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 02:18:00 am »
Thank you everyone, really appreciate all your help!!!

Offline rotortiller

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 06:50:54 am »
Take several copper washers with the larger OD having the correct ID and mount to a suitable bolt and nut, chuck it in a drill press and file the OD to size should you want it now.

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 02:46:50 pm »
also measure the original washer and check ebay for matching dimensions, they may not be listed as motorcycle parts but there will probably be something that matches
i did this for brake banjo washers and found what i wanted for a fraction of the price of factory
also you can use aluminium washers as well as copper but they are one use and throw away but when you think about how often you will be taking your forks apart its prob not that big a deal ( and alloy ones are faster than copper, everyone knows that )
i blame Terry

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 03:17:28 pm »

Pull it out of the water and then heat it?!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 03:46:04 pm »

I kinda remember you were machinist too - making fun of me?   ;)

Anneal steel means let it cool down slowly, annealing copper is to cool it down rapidly.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 04:20:06 pm »

I kinda remember you were machinist too - making fun of me?   ;)

Anneal steel means let it cool down slowly, annealing copper is to cool it down rapidly.

Just razzin ya!    Yes, I was a machinist, wish I had the space and machines needed for some of my engine projects but it really wouldn't make financial sense. 
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........