Author Topic: 1977 CB550F rear swing arm  (Read 623 times)

Offline CrtJester

1977 CB550F rear swing arm
« on: January 07, 2019, 02:42:20 pm »
I’m in the process of a complete nut and bolt restoration of a CB550F. I intend to powder coat the swing arm but there are two 2” long bushings pressed into the pivot tube which appear to be a hard black plastic and will not budge. Are they safe to 400 degrees for the powder coat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: 1977 CB550F rear swing arm
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 03:12:58 pm »
I doubt it. It’s easiest to press them out from the opposite side, or use a bushing puller. Picture an oblong shaped wafer, threaded rod in the middle. The oblong allows you to pivot the wafer within the ID, then rotate it to seat against the lip of the bushing. A thick washer outside the swing arm, thread a nut onto the rod. As you tighten the nut, the wafer pulls the bushing out.

Most people replace the stock plastic bushings with bronze bushing anyway, and if you opt to go that route, just use a Drexel and cut a slot in the plastic one, then knock it out.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline CrtJester

Re: 1977 CB550F rear swing arm
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 07:42:41 pm »
I doubt it. It’s easiest to press them out from the opposite side, or use a bushing puller. Picture an oblong shaped wafer, threaded rod in the middle. The oblong allows you to pivot the wafer within the ID, then rotate it to seat against the lip of the bushing. A thick washer outside the swing arm, thread a nut onto the rod. As you tighten the nut, the wafer pulls the bushing out.

Most people replace the stock plastic bushings with bronze bushing anyway, and if you opt to go that route, just use a Drexel and cut a slot in the plastic one, then knock it out.
Thanks calj, I managed to get an ovaled washer behind the bushing and pressed them out and ordered bronze ones from vintagecb750

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk