Author Topic: Bearing shells for ally rods  (Read 1254 times)

Offline teebee67

• Enthusiast
Bearing shells for ally rods
« on: January 29, 2019, 07:10:24 am »
Hi, Does anybody know who can supply drilled big end shells to suite ally rods. I have some Yoshimura rods and some Russ Collins stroker rods that need big end shells. Also can anyone tell me why the ally rods need the location pegs that make these shells with holes in necessary. (I have also had a set of Golden rods that required these).
I'm only old on the outside.

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
Re: Bearing shells for ally rods
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 08:57:12 am »
 There was obviously some concern with the shells spinning in the rods. You may have to make a jig and drill your own. 
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline teebee67

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 02:34:44 am »
Thanks Don, I am surprised at that because they still use the locating tangs. But there must be a reason for it and yours sounds logical. My problem is it's a Yoshimura lightened crank (so no markings) and yoshimura rods (again no marking) so I need to try different size shells and plastigauge them to find the correct shells.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 08:54:16 am »
Hi, Does anybody know who can supply drilled big end shells to suite ally rods. I have some Yoshimura rods and some Russ Collins stroker rods that need big end shells. Also can anyone tell me why the ally rods need the location pegs that make these shells with holes in necessary. (I have also had a set of Golden rods that required these).
I can do that for you.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline teebee67

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 03:26:20 am »
Thank you for your kind offer, pm sent.

Offline NitroHunter

• Radical Street / Strip Turbo
  • Hot Shot
  • A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 10:36:57 am »
There was obviously some concern with the shells spinning in the rods.
Yes.  Aftermarket aluminum rods are fitted with a dowel pin in the cap to be used with a drilled lower bearing. Spun bearings would happen on every pass without it, likely due to the growth of aluminum but the elasticity benefit it provides is worth it.
Due to large volume on the automotive racing end, lower bearings shells can be purchased off-the-rack pre-drilled and coated.
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341