Author Topic: Fitting braided brake lines - Should I reuse stock line splitter?  (Read 954 times)

Offline gmoneymagna

Hello!

I have replaced the handlebars on my 82 CB650SC nighthawk and would like to replace the brake lines to better fit the bike now. The stock configuration is a single line from the master cylinder that splits using this block behind the "HONDA" badge between the front forks and then two lines come out the bottom. I plan on ordering custom brake lines and fittings and I think it would be easiest to reuse the stock configuration. Is there any performance or convenience benefits from using a double banjo bolt or universal brake line splitting setup over the stock Honda one? Thanks!

Bonus question - My brakes have had an on-and-off "stick" at times before they actuate. I start to pull the lever and sometimes it gets stuck and I pull harder then it gives and applies a lot of brakes. I was planning on teardown the front calipers since I haven't done it in the 5 years I have owned the bike. Should I preemptively order a caliper rebuild kit or are the rubber o-rings potentially reusable?

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Re: Fitting braided brake lines - Should I reuse stock line splitter?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 12:12:40 pm »
I had this same “dragging brake” feeling on my K3 CB750 last year. It’s my son’s rat ride and it runs so well we rarely touch it. I rebuilt the master cylinder and the caliper and then when I tried to bleed in new fluid my MityVac tool couldn’t suck any fluid down the hoses! Turns out they were so old they were collapsing internally. The master would build enough pressure to force brake fluid down, but they were acting as check valves and maintaining pressure. Change those hoses....... I like to stay with the standard configuration. It’s tidiest.

Offline irish44395

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 12:55:32 pm »
I got new lines for my 82  nighthawk  and they were for that bike  ss braided same three pieces  as stock I also rebuild the master and the calipers and have no problems with them.
Pete

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 01:56:05 pm »
If you are using the stock 3 piece line setup there is no reason you can't reuse the existing splitter. That is what I did on my 550 when I installed braided lines.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline gmoneymagna

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 02:49:45 pm »
Sounds like I'll use the standard setup for my new lines. What are the connectors called that attach to the stock splitter? They don't seem like any fittings on Goodridge's website.

Offline Bankerdanny

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 03:12:57 pm »
They are 10mm banjo fittings. If you order custom make sure to include any bends (the stock 550 fitting has a slight bend at the master end and is straight at the splitter end) and that the fittings are properly clocked.

Use your existing hoses as the guide.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 04:10:53 pm »
They are 10mm banjo fittings. If you order custom make sure to include any bends (the stock 550 fitting has a slight bend at the master end and is straight at the splitter end) and that the fittings are properly clocked.

Use your existing hoses as the guide.

Unless you change your MC and its clocking changes then you have to get a new custom line...
Or you uprate calipers and have the same kinds of changes.  Handlebars can require same kinds of length issues to raise their ugly head....

David- back in the desert SW!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 04:15:25 pm »
“Gmoney”........ try sending your specs to Raymond C. He works at Apex Brakes in Toronto, ON. Canada. Raymond has been making lines for our cars, race cars, and motorcycles for several years. Tell him what motorcycle you have and the lengths of your hoses. I usually lay them out on a scrap of clean cardboard and write the measurements on there, with a large felt pen. Show any angles on the banjo fittings.

Raymond is a screaming deal! The last set of hoses I got (2 months ago) was for my 1975 Honda cb750F. Two hoses, including banjos, crush washers, banjo bolts and postage was: Cdn$62.00 Total. That’s less than $45 of your money. He can do any colour hose and black or silver fittings. He accepts PayPal.

I’m not sure if he posts to the USA, but give it a try. Exceptional service, I usually get my stuff in 6-8 days. Note, I am in Ontario......

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 04:57:09 pm »
“Gmoney”....... Ooops! Send request to Raymond C. at <havetodoit@hotmail.com>

Offline gmoneymagna

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 05:20:54 pm »
So I'm getting it all measured it but I'm having a tough time confirming the exact size of all my bolts, besides the 10 mm  fittings.  According to 4 into 1 my banjo bolts should be 10 mm x 1.25 but I only see Goodridge offering 10 mm x 1 (on Dimecity cycles), will this discrepancy make a difference? If anyone has a resource to find this information like bolt sizes and dimensions I would appreciate it. I can't find this information in my Clymer's Manual. It is also zero degrees in my unheated garage so I haven't disassembled everything yet to measure it.

I appreciate the suggestions about having someone make my custom lines. However, it seems like the hard part is the measuring and the easy part is ordering and assembling so I'm a little unsure of what benefit this would add. Am I missing something here?

Thanks everyone!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 05:58:35 pm »
I’ve never checked them as “Raymond” knows, but i’ll Bet they are X1.25 and the pitch must be correct. I’ll check one Saturday, if no one else responds immediately.

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 06:35:09 pm »
I bought a set of brake lines from Apex and they turned out great other than I should have had the line from the master cylinder down to the junction 1/2” longer but that’s on me. I found his info on eBay and messaged him with what I wanted and he made them exactly as ordered. Very happy with them.
“You are either on something or onto something.” The Comman Man

Offline gmoneymagna

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 09:48:05 am »
How have your apex lines held up? I read some unfavorable things on a quick google search.

Offline Bankerdanny

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 10:00:06 am »
So I'm getting it all measured it but I'm having a tough time confirming the exact size of all my bolts, besides the 10 mm  fittings.  According to 4 into 1 my banjo bolts should be 10 mm x 1.25 but I only see Goodridge offering 10 mm x 1 (on Dimecity cycles), will this discrepancy make a difference? If anyone has a resource to find this information like bolt sizes and dimensions I would appreciate it. I can't find this information in my Clymer's Manual. It is also zero degrees in my unheated garage so I haven't disassembled everything yet to measure it.

I appreciate the suggestions about having someone make my custom lines. However, it seems like the hard part is the measuring and the easy part is ordering and assembling so I'm a little unsure of what benefit this would add. Am I missing something here?

Thanks everyone!

Yes, the discrepancy will make a difference. The 1.2 v 1.0 has to do with how fine the threads on the bolts are, not the length. Using the wrong pitch will screw up your master cyl and/or splitter. You shouldn't need to replace the bolts unless they are really messed up. 0000 steel wool and elbow grease will clean them up nicely.

4int1 lists the actual hose length on most of the sets it sells. When I ordered the lines from Apex I used the lengths 4into1 lists to help decide what to use on my bike with lower than stock bars. I reused the OEM master cyl, splitter, and hard line to the caliper, so stock clocking was what worked for me on the top hose.