Author Topic: CB550F rewiring  (Read 396 times)

Offline Wyatt565

CB550F rewiring
« on: February 09, 2019, 11:58:15 pm »
Hello, thanks in advance for the help.
As apart of the cafe racer project I’m attempting on my 1977 CB550F I have torn the entire front end apart. Headlight, turn signals, left and right hand controls as well as all the dash lights and gauge lights are all hanging off the front end of my bike labeled.

Now so far the parts that have come in and been installed are the new clip on handlebars, aftermarket left hand control switch headlight and turn signal assembly and the clutch and brake lever, I’m still waiting on a 2 inch bar mounted tach and a upper tree with a Motoscope mini built in.
The wiring diagram I have been going off of is attached. As well as the instruction for the aftermarket left bar controls and the wiring for the headlight/turn signal assembly.

In terms of wiring I have gotten rid of the killswitch on the right side controls and set aside the starter wires to be rerouted somewhere else. My question is the current wiring for the turn signals has two wires coming from each signal to the left hand controls designed so the turn signals come on as running lights then flash brighter when in use.However my new left hand controls only has one wire for each turn signal, how can I wire this so that the turn signal doesn’t work as running lights but comes on when operated?

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: CB550F rewiring
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:49:09 am »
For the indicators connect the switch wires to the solid orange and solid pale blue ignoring the ones with the white tracer.
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline Wyatt565

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 07:54:29 am »
Okay, solid pale blue and orange goes to the switch. So the solid colors will then go to the turn signals in the headlight as well? What would I need to hook the white stripes to?

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 10:18:30 am »
You cant unless you fit a genuine lh switch
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!