Author Topic: Chrome: Cutting? Painting? Powder Coating?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline OldZaskar

Chrome: Cutting? Painting? Powder Coating?
« on: February 10, 2019, 10:13:06 am »
I apologize if this has been covered and/or this thread is in the wrong sub-forum.

As I'm thinking about mods to the '73 CB500, I know that the fenders will go - either replaced, removed or modified. But, they're chrome. I'd like to cut/shorten them and powder or paint them to match the tank (it'll get powder or paint at the same time). It'd be great to just start with bare metal, but all of the replacement fenders I'm seeing online are chrome.

Plus, I'd rather see these original chrome pieces remain in tact. It pains me to destroy old parts that are in great shape. Someone out there is probably thinking "Man, I'd love to find a set of OE chrome fenders... "

Next up: the wheels. Also chrome. Also going to need some love. They're not in bad shape, but I'm not sure the spokes will every be shiny again. There's some light pitting on the rims too. I'm currently leaning toward the black wheel look too. This could change. In the Jeep/Land Cruiser world, that's the first thing every new owner thinks they want... then, they see how much of a trend it is and move on to something less common.

What's the common method of adding color - paint or powder coating? I guess a couple hours with a Scotch-brite pad would have'em prepped enough to hold paint. Well, until the the next time they're trued, have a tire mounted...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:14:41 am by OldZaskar »
'73 CB500 Four

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: Chrome: Cutting? Painting? Powder Coating?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 11:07:40 am »
Whenever I have parts powdered, my guy always blasts there first to give the metal "tooth".

There are aftermarket plastic/fiberglass fenders if you want to go that route buy obviously you cant powdercoat them.

You have options...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 11:14:30 am »
 I might be interested in the rear fender if it's really nice.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 02:33:57 pm »
Here’s my son’s K3. The rear fender and tail light are from my supply (K0 or K1). The tail light mount and the small crash bars were so rusted and pitted, I tossed them in the bin. He pulled them out, sand blasted them and tossed them in with parts I was having powder coated. I paid the bill, and he got some really good looking parts!

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 03:08:06 pm »
Carefull with front fender, you need a decent brace between the alloy sliders to stop flexing.
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline OldZaskar

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 04:00:32 pm »
This is EXACTLY why I love sites like this - the aggregation of knowledge and experience is awesome. So, if the fender comes off, I'd need to add back a fork brace. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for that.

Scott, if I decide to part with the fender(s), I'll shoot you a PM
'73 CB500 Four

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 05:22:42 pm »
When I shortened the front fender, the thing was pitted somewhat, but not terrible.  I wasn't a fan of chrome with the plans for this bike and was going to paint it.  I started by determining what length I wanted and cut it off and finished the ends to the proper radius.  Next, I used a piece of chipboard to make templates for the front and read ends and made some steel pieces to double up the thickness of the ends of the fender.  TIG welded and finish ground and sanded the welds smooth.  THEN I SANDBLASTED THE P1SS out of the chrome as best as I can.  Normal painting prep, primer and so on.  The paint lasted and the only problem was where the cross brace was riveted to the fender flexed and the paint cracked there.  Never did the paint pop off, but was the only flaw after years of use.

Offline tlbranth

• Master
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 06:46:57 pm »
I'm not a fan of chrome. I sandblast, prime with epoxy and spray paint. This works on chrome and on aluminum. Spokes can be replated fairly cheaply. When I rebuilt my '75 Goldwing I sent out all the nuts, bolts and spokes to a place in Portland, Oregon for replating. Cost was $150 or so.
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1970 CB750 K0
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500
2002 VT750-CDA ACE - Momma's bike
Terry

Offline sixthwisconsin

• With an 1855 Springfield, I'm a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 07:31:50 pm »
I paid the bill, and he got some really good looking parts!

Funny how that works!!

My Powder Coater also sand blasted the parts first. He did say that the "old" chrome parts are a little harder to powder coat and need special attention in the blasting phase. He rejected a fender I was picking up due to pock marks. He sent it back for reblasting & recoating. I was initially pissed but got a perfect part in the long run. Good to have suppliers in your area that take pride in their workmanship.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 08:49:35 pm »
Benelli, is that bike an early 73, with an early tank, or a 72 with the wrong headlight ears ?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 06:12:05 am »
754..... It's a ‘73 with it’s original tank. A friend of my son’s was painting his race car black, so they sprayed the tank too. They hand painted the earlier strip, and clearcoated. Actually turned out really well. The whole bike is a collection of parts. K1 at the back, K7 or 8 front fender, Gemini Exhaust. He also added the Lester’s and dual sport Kendra’s. Generally, he adds on anything left over from my projects, that looks better than what’s on it.
      Bikes never been apart. I bought it for $500, 8 years ago. Guy said “it would seize up after, 20 minutes riding”. Took me a week to figure out the gas cap vent was plugged (after ripping 1/2 the bike apart)! Gave it a full tune up and it just keep running great. I keep it insured so he can ride with me at our CVMG Events. Best days ever!