Author Topic: How to remove starter clutch CB750  (Read 1755 times)

Offline macvit7906

• Enthusiast
How to remove starter clutch CB750
« on: February 10, 2019, 01:30:06 pm »
I've searched the forum and can't really find the the info I'm looking for.

Is there a trick to removing the start clutch from the back of the alternator rotor?

I've tried an impact driver with no luck. Are the 3 screws just really stuck or are the left hand threaded? Are the held in place some other way?

I'm letting them soak in some pb blaster right now

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: How to remove starter clutch CB750
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:04:07 pm »
They were originally "cinched" into a small groove they will eventually shift with a correct size impact bit and a big hammer NOTE they are not phillips but jis
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline macvit7906

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 05:24:45 pm »
They were originally "cinched" into a small groove they will eventually shift with a correct size impact bit and a big hammer NOTE they are not phillips but jis

Thanks. Got one out then my JIS bit actually broke on the second! my next try is to heat it first.

Question: I have an RC engineering lightened rotor, but it does looks like the screw holes for the start clutch mechanism are there anymore.

When the rotors are lightened does that get rid of the ability to use the starter clutch?

looks like this:

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 08:41:23 pm »
Don't piss around with them, you just break your tools. Drill them out, 3 minutes later it's off.
The  lightened alternator come in 2 versions,  a bit lighter for electric start. A lot more lighter, no electric start..
 Yours is used on kick only motors.

I suppose you  could maybe mount it, but the lip is missing.
 Just grab another rotor if you just have an e start..

I would reinstall a kicker shaft in your motor.

Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 12:46:14 am »
My lightened rotor work fine with starter and charging system
CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline macvit7906

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 09:16:08 am »
Don't piss around with them, you just break your tools. Drill them out, 3 minutes later it's off.
The  lightened alternator come in 2 versions,  a bit lighter for electric start. A lot more lighter, no electric start..
 Yours is used on kick only motors.

I suppose you  could maybe mount it, but the lip is missing.
 Just grab another rotor if you just have an e start..

I would reinstall a kicker shaft in your motor.

Awesome.Good to know, thanks.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2023, 03:32:42 pm »
   For my RC 836 motor, I put the starter back on it. I've been warned about a heavy flywheel damaging the crank.
   I ran into this, I have a light rotor that I made with just a starter drive and no charging, I have a, R.C. lightened rotor with charging but no starter option (same as shown above) but there is a lightened one that still has the three holes for the starter clutch although the lip has been removed. I'm not positive the three threaded holes will properly locate the starter clutch without the lip in place. (Thanks, Frank)
  Cycle X has them lightened with the starter drive left there, gasket, seal and balanced for $149 exchange, that includes a puller that I already have. I'm thinking since I'm already going there to get the CycleX one.
 Make sense? 

« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 03:38:44 pm by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2023, 07:02:24 pm »
   For my RC 836 motor, I put the starter back on it. I've been warned about a heavy flywheel damaging the crank.
   I ran into this, I have a light rotor that I made with just a starter drive and no charging, I have a, R.C. lightened rotor with charging but no starter option (same as shown above) but there is a lightened one that still has the three holes for the starter clutch although the lip has been removed. I'm not positive the three threaded holes will properly locate the starter clutch without the lip in place. (Thanks, Frank)
  Cycle X has them lightened with the starter drive left there, gasket, seal and balanced for $149 exchange, that includes a puller that I already have. I'm thinking since I'm already going there to get the CycleX one.
 Make sense?
Don, I would just use a stock late model rotor. ;) The K7 rotor I'm using has balancing holes, but the original K1 rotor with the flange had no evidence of balancing. Does Cycle X claim how much their lightened rotor weighs? I think the max that could be removed without losing charging ability would be less than 8 ounces, based on my experiments cutting down the K1 rotor.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2023, 04:42:23 pm »
 Make sense?
Don, I would just use a stock late model rotor. ;) The K7 rotor I'm using has balancing holes, but the original K1 rotor with the flange had no evidence of balancing. Does Cycle X claim how much their lightened rotor weighs? I think the max that could be removed without losing charging ability would be less than 8 ounces, based on my experiments cutting down the K1 rotor.

Scottly: how did you go about lightening one? Did it turn out to work OK?
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com