Author Topic: cb550 rear sets in progress, brake lever rosette?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline addictedtocafe

cb550 rear sets in progress, brake lever rosette?
« on: February 11, 2019, 07:29:16 pm »
Hey folks. I'm building up a 76 cb550f brat, cafe thing. Working on installing rear sets. I've been searching and searching for how others have done their installs, and I'm stuck.

How do you attach to the brake pivot without cutting up a brake lever?

cognito moto has THIS piece

At this point I'm considering drilling a hole through the pivot arm to bolt a custom lever to it, so at least that's a reversible modification.
Ideas? Opinions?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:33:27 pm by addictedtocafe »

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: cb550 rear sets in progress, brake lever rosette?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 05:38:15 am »
 That looks like a Tarozzi piece. You shouldn't have do drill through the pivot arm. Just make a linkage from your rear sets to the Cognito piece.

These are Tarozzi, but the idea is the same.

For homemade rear sets, I have seen people sacrifice the stock brake lever. Cut it and drill a hole through the lever, but not the splined pivot part.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline chicagobob

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 05:56:19 am »
I usually just cut off the entire rear lever mount and attach the (slightly bent) brake rod to the rearset ear, with a stop behind the ear to allow for brake adjustment.  This saves a pound or two.  The rearsets in this photo are from Slipstream Cycle.  The brackets are from Cognito Moto.  The lever stop is home-made from aluminum:

Offline addictedtocafe

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 08:27:31 pm »
Nice bikes guys. Thanks for the tips.

Offline rosewood

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 04:02:23 am »
The problem with the F model is that the brake pivot tube on the frame is longer and sticks out alot further to clear the 4into1 exhaust which is tucked up higher very close to the frame. If you are using the rear passenger pegs as mounts it shouldn't be a problem and that part from cognito can probably be used.

If you want to use their rearset brackets which are very popular you may have to cut the tube shorter and fit k model brake pivot. then figure out how to mount a different return spring. as the F model one will have too many turns. Maybe use a linear spring at the lever end instead. Bear in mind the the exhaust (F model 4into1) maybe too close to the rearset aswell and you wont get the angle you probably need. if you use an aftermarket exhaust that drops lower here though it can probably work.

The F model is a real awkward one to work with for rearsets brackets unless you modify the frame and/or change exhaust. I've done a few mods on my frame and exhaust to allow for this in the future but when it comes to the time will probably still need to cut that pivot tube shorter.

Offline addictedtocafe

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 11:07:31 am »
I have discovered, that you are totally correct. The high mounted exhaust combined with the low passenger footpeg location is killing me.
I have the rear sets all mounted up and working properly, but the brake side is angled too high to clear the exhaust for comfort.

I've seen where some 550s have a higher mount location which could work.. but as it is the angles and the clearances are just not working right.

I need
  • lower exhaust
  • adjustable rearset pivot points
  • modified pass. footpeg location
  • brake rearset spaced out 3 or 4" from bike
  • another drink

Offline Tom in Newcastle......Ontario

• Hot Shot
  • Newcastle Ontario
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 12:36:24 pm »
This is how I did mine on my 550k
1978 cb 550k......stock,my first re-build

Loud pipes suck.......

If you buy something.........pay for it !
If you sell something .......ship it !
If you say you are going to do something......do it !
If you have a question about something......ask it !
When the seller answers ........let him know whether you still want it or not !
If you receive something .....let the seller know you got it !
If you get something and are happy/un happy with it .....let the giver/seller know !
If you have any kind of issue,shipping/receiving/quality/price/shipping charges etc !
Communicate

Offline rosewood

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 01:59:00 pm »
addicted here is my solution which is still a work in progress...my bike didn't come with a muffler and the collector was rusted through and needed some attention so I took that as an opportunity to change things a bit..

The first image shows some acrylic mounts I mocked up with a laser cutter similar to cognito's to check clearance, notice the lower engine mount bolt is very close to the exhaust. for this reason I decided I could not use these type of brackets to mount the rearsets and needed some custom mounts welded to the frame. and plan to make my own rear set brackets.

The second image shows the custom mounts I fabricated and had welded on..I cut off the rear passenger mount part of the frame as they would also get in the way..

The third image shows the new collector bend I pie cut and welded to the exhaust. I put a slight bend down and inwards to the center of the bike to help give clearance for the rear set lever.

The fourth image shows a mocked up laser cut rearset I made. Notice how now I can angle it down and it just clears the exhaust collector bend I made.

The fifth image shows the clearance I have with the kick start which I plan to still be able to use. You can see the brake lever pivot tube sticks out quite far and like I said I think I will have to cut this shorter and install a brake pivot shaft from a k model bike and its spring which I have purchased for when that time comes.

Its all very very tight on space and I'm still not 100% certain I can pull it off but I plan to get the bike finished with stock foot pegs for now with an option to change to rear sets in the future..

There is obviously a lot of custom work involved with what I've done but I hope it explains the issues with an F bike/frame/exhaust..

rosewood...