Author Topic: 2FastMoto muffler cheap or a find.  (Read 832 times)

Offline Ace Blackwell

• Hot Shot
  • 1977 CB550F - Resurrection in progress
2FastMoto muffler cheap or a find.
« on: March 08, 2019, 08:26:31 am »
I’ve got a 77 CB550F. I’m looking for a muffler. I would prefer a reasonable likeness to an original.  I found a 26” from 2FastMoto. Doesnt look bad assuming the opening will fit.  However it seem a little cheap in cost to be much more than a straight pipe.  My original, years ago, was pretty quite and I liked it that way.

In short Does anyone have any experience with 2FastMoto and specifically the 26” reverse cone muffler? I’m concerned with it only costing around 60$ and a similar(visually) MAC muffler is around 150$.   Worried I might get what I’m paying for  :)

On a side note what’s everyone’s thought on motorcycle silencers?

Ace
1977 CB550F Work in Progress

Offline Ace Blackwell

• Hot Shot
2.1" ID Muffler
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 11:36:38 am »
I didn't get much response on whether FastMoto was a fair brand muffler, but in this case it wouldn't matter, it wouldn't fit. 

Ive been looking for the last few days and the only 2.1" ID muffler I can find is basically a small piece of straight pipe.   Not bad if you are into that kind of thing.   So that brings me to another question,

What are your thoughts on a reducer?  Do they work well or tend to leak?  I can't envision a way to fasten (short of welding) that wouldn't looked hose clamped / U bolted together.  Share any pictures that contradicts my thinking.

In any case, unless there are better ideas, it seems my options are limited.
- Go with a loud straight pipe shorty
- Add a reducer inline (could work but worried about looking rigged.)
- Buy a whole system from engine back. (Something that would have to wait for sometime to save up the cash)

Thanks,
Ace

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
Re: 2FastMoto muffler cheap or a find.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 08:36:53 am »
Mine has a welded in reducer. I know it is a different bike, but it can be done.

Alright suckers, I'm back. Two week hiatus for the birth of our son.

Finished up Rhonda for this year by mounting the muffler to the collector.

So it turns out that the piece of stainless exhaust pipe I bought was 409 stainless and prone to rusting anyway. So if anyone wants to buy it I'll give it for a good price.

Onto Plan B, which eliminates a clamp anyway.

Had my dad turn down a piece of stainless pipe from his boat parts bin. Fit inside the collector and then made a bit of a venturi into it. Then the cone slips onto this. Welds aren't perfect, and I cleaned up and polished what I could. I'll likely do some more polishing before long. If funds allow I may purchase another slip-on cone to fit right over the collector. Maybe next year. The fit is very tight from the cone to the bung, so I used some Nickel anti-seize (rated to 2500F) on that joint to aid in removal later on.

Fire the bike up and it sounds nice and mean still, just with a softer edge. ;) And if my exhaust tuning theory is correct, then a alight restriction means better bottom end, but the nice open collector will give more top end. Who knows. I'm not exactly concerned.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:38:58 am by evanphi »
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline Ace Blackwell

• Hot Shot
Re: 2FastMoto muffler cheap or a find.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 10:37:04 am »
Thanks evanphi. I didn’t think of a inside mounted reduce. Would make going back to standard size a lot easier. I’ll start looking for a welder.