Author Topic: Help! Looking for best dent removal techniques  (Read 3625 times)

Offline jcop550

Help! Looking for best dent removal techniques
« on: February 12, 2019, 05:55:46 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have a tank I am redoing for my cb550 cafe project. The tank has a dent on the left side that I need to pop out. The dent has a diameter of about 5 inches and there is no crease.

I thought of trying to put some kind of bar through the top to try and push it out from the inside but there is very little wiggle room to work with. Another method I tried was a dent puller kit. That just pulled the paint off and isn’t sticking to the bare metal.

Hoping someone on here has some tips or tricks to get this thing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:11:06 pm by jcop550 »

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
Re: Help! Looking for best dent removal techniques
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 07:43:32 pm »
Ive seen people fill the tank 3/4 full of water and freeze it. Other than that id say a air powered slide hammer or weld on studs for a slife hammer
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline sixthwisconsin

• With an 1855 Springfield, I'm a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 07:49:49 pm »
There is a glue on system of pullers that works well. Then you just have to fill the rest to make it straight.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/MMPP-Paintless-Repair-Slider-Removal/dp/B079L4HTHP?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-osx-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B079L4HTHP

Just a quick search and there are many kits out there. You will still have to fill to straighten.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:55:31 pm by sixthwisconsin »

Offline jcop550

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 08:15:06 pm »
Ive seen people fill the tank 3/4 full of water and freeze it. Other than that id say a air powered slide hammer or weld on studs for a slife hammer
Wow freezing the water is a great idea. I’m gonna give that a try! Thanks!

Offline jcop550

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 08:16:54 pm »
There is a glue on system of pullers that works well. Then you just have to fill the rest to make it straight.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/MMPP-Paintless-Repair-Slider-Removal/dp/B079L4HTHP?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-osx-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B079L4HTHP

Just a quick search and there are many kits out there. You will still have to fill to straighten.
Thanks for the response! I already gave this exact kit a try. It pulled off the paint and then wouldn’t stick good to the bare metal

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 09:35:10 pm »
Don't freeze it or use air pressure to remove the dent. You may end up bending the tank in ways you can't imagine, or splitting a seam. Check into a paintless dent removal guy, they have the tools to work through the filler hole and can work magic.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:37:06 pm by jgger »
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline jcop550

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 09:47:39 pm »
Don't freeze it or use air pressure to remove the dent. You may end up bending the tank in ways you can't imagine, or splitting a seam. Check into a paintless dent removal guy, they have the tools to work through the filler hole and can work magic.
I may have to do that. Thanks for your input. Is that a fairly cheap job? I’m trying to save as much money as I can throughout this build

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 10:07:26 pm »
I don't know what they would charge but it does look like a simple job. Pretty sure it will be cheaper than buying another tank if that one got ruined.

The problem with using air or freezing is it pushes everything,  not just the dent and you can't control it. They will usually spread the tunnel that goes over the frame then the tank won't fit the mounting tabs properly and will be loose.

Call a couple of them and get an estimate.  Some regular body shops might offer that service also, but ASK them if they intend to use air. If the say yes, turn and walk away.

Good luck
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Online PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 10:32:12 pm »
There are plenty of videos on youtube about dent removal
Like this one 
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 03:09:50 am »
I may have to do that. Thanks for your input. Is that a fairly cheap job? I’m trying to save as much money as I can throughout this build
You can do it yourself if you have a decent bench vise.

Grab some 3/8” steel rod, about 30” of it. About 4” from the end, bend a 45* in it using some heat to do so. Grind the tip into a blunt taper. Heat the middle of the length that is straight and put a slight curve into it. Bend the final 6” at 90* to make a handle. Wrap that with some duct tape.

Slide the bar into the tank with the tank securely fastened to the bike for leverage. Remove the paint and point a light flat along the side so you can use the shadows to identify the position of the dent and your tip. Using the tunnel as leverage, gently push the edges of the dent first. Working yuor way inward. You should get it very close.

Follow up with a brass blunt punch to tap down a pry marks and high spots. Lastly, a fine file to flatten them if needed. If you need more curvature for the tip to reach the side, pull the bar out, heat it, bend it, let it cool.

I’ve done dozens of these tanks with this method (store bought tools). I gave them to a pal a couple of years ago who was starting in the business and needed a bumpstart. But I’ve made plenty of them following this method. The metal will move easier if warm, and don’t get in a rush, push, move, push a little, move, and so on. Don’t try to get it all out first push. Patience or you’ll make a worse mess..
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline jcop550

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 04:47:59 am »
There are plenty of videos on youtube about dent removal
Like this one 
Awesome, thanks!

Offline jcop550

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 04:48:34 am »

Grab some 3/8” steel rod, about 30” of it. About 4” from the end, bend a 45* in it using some heat to do so. Grind the tip into a blunt taper. Heat the middle of the length that is straight and put a slight curve into it. Bend the final 6” at 90* to make a handle. Wrap that with some duct tape.

Slide the bar into the tank with the tank securely fastened to the bike for leverage. Remove the paint and point a light flat along the side so you can use the shadows to identify the position of the dent and your tip. Using the tunnel as leverage, gently push the edges of the dent first. Working yuor way inward. You should get it very close.

Follow up with a brass blunt punch to tap down a pry marks and high spots. Lastly, a fine file to flatten them if needed. If you need more curvature for the tip to reach the side, pull the bar out, heat it, bend it, let it cool.

I’ve done dozens of these tanks with this method (store bought tools). I gave them to a pal a couple of years ago who was starting in the business and needed a bumpstart. But I’ve made plenty of them following this method. The metal will move easier if warm, and don’t get in a rush, push, move, push a little, move, and so on. Don’t try to get it all out first push. Patience or you’ll make a worse mess..
Thank you! You guys are a lot of help, I appreciate it

Offline Progas

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 05:02:43 am »
Dent Hogs of Georgia

Offline sixthwisconsin

• With an 1855 Springfield, I'm a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 07:55:08 am »

Like this:

Thanks for the response! I already gave this exact kit a try. It pulled off the paint and then wouldn’t stick good to the bare metal

Surprising. I have a friend who pulled a dent similar to that on the top of his tank with one of the glue on kits with pretty good results. He had OEM paint on it though and it held tight.

Offline jcop550

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 08:00:05 am »

Like this:

Surprising. I have a friend who pulled a dent similar to that on the top of his tank with one of the glue on kits with pretty good results. He had OEM paint on it though and it held tight.
Yeah I was surprised too. It worked so well on a really difficult ding on my car. I’m gonna try again later tonight on the bare metal. Maybe I’ll rough it up to make the glue stick better. I’ll let you guys know how it goes

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 08:32:05 am »
One problem you have is that there is a sharp edged crease in that dent and that means the metal has deformed so wont pop out easy.
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 09:14:56 am »
One problem you have is that there is a sharp edged crease in that dent and that means the metal has deformed so wont pop out easy.
That’s why pushing is better. Pulling won’t get it done with glue tabs.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline nvr2old

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 02:35:36 pm »
That's not a dent for the faint-of-heart or in-experienced.  Please don't put water in it and freeze it.  I don't know how that technique got started but it's absolutely the WORST thing you can do.  It, 99.9% of the time, ruins the entire tank...just like using compressed air..bad..bad.  Those glue on pullers hardly ever work either..sometimes they do if it's a shallow dent but you have a BIG dent.  May I suggest that you bite the bullet, take it to a body shop and have them use a stud gun to pull it out.  Quick, easy, efficient, and affordable. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:43:57 pm by nvr2old »
'76 CB550F-'72 XL250-'82 MB5-'82 CX500 Turbo-'77 naked Goldwing-'75 CB400F cafe'-'79 Suzuki GS1000S..hey, it's a Wes Cooley..

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 04:22:09 pm »

Offline jcop550

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 06:39:31 pm »
OK.. try this?
https://youtu.be/eDWm5AEjyFY
Lol!! I do not have that “tool” in my workshop. Darn.....

Offline jcop550

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 02:30:32 pm »

The dent is out!! Thanks for the advice!

Offline Medyo Bastos

• Master
  • Gusto mo titi ko?
    • project
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 08:20:11 pm »
Did the dildo trick work?

Offline jcop550

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 08:23:52 pm »

Ha some bent rebar did the trick. I’ll let someone else test the dildo trick

Offline Medyo Bastos

• Master
  • Gusto mo titi ko?
    • project
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2019, 08:24:53 pm »
Lol

Online PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2019, 11:36:04 pm »

I'm sure that chick could sit on the tank without knickers while tanks is attached to something, then just stretch legs and up she goes vacuum the dent away.  8)  :P
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967