Author Topic: Ontario road race 1972 article  (Read 831 times)

Offline gschuld

• Master
Ontario road race 1972 article
« on: February 23, 2019, 08:34:35 am »
Cycle Guide January 1972
George

Offline gschuld

• Master
Re: Ontario road race 1972 article
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 08:36:58 am »
George

Online jgger

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 09:43:20 am »
Thanks for posting, it took me back in time. It's a shame but that track was torn down many years ago and is now Ontario Mills Mall, I guess Standard Oil didn't want to manage the race track any more.

On the Moto Cross the name Gary Jones brought back memories too, my buddy went to high school with him.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 01:26:05 pm »
We would wait until the next magazine was on the stands to get the news in those days, unless you lived close by. Thanks for posting George, fun read.

One word on corner workers, and I always try to give them the praise they deserve, because nearly all are volunteer and they work all day in all weather to keep us safe. However at today's tracks here, where cars also race, the towers are far from the track edge to keep them safe. Plus they are not to leave their posts unless the race is stopped. As a result, motorcycle crashes are unattended until an ambulance arrives. In the old days we had marshalls on track edge showing oncoming riders all manner of arm/flag motion to get the message out. A marshall could be with a downed rider quickly.

Obviously this put them in danger and needed to be changed. But with stations so far from the track even seeing a flag is sometimes difficult. I think the flagman in the corner of this story may have been either covering 2 corners, or otherwise way too far from where he could be useful.