Author Topic: Real talk about swingarm collar/bushing clearance  (Read 824 times)

Offline chadbenson

• Enthusiast
Real talk about swingarm collar/bushing clearance
« on: March 22, 2019, 12:48:05 am »
I’ve seen and read so much conflicting information about what the ACTUAL swingarm bushing to collar clearance is I can’t make heads from tails. The Honda shop manual says it’s limit is .02” inches and yet I’m seeing some folks on the forum say it’s supposed to be         “The clearance in the bushing-to-collar interface is .0008" to .0016"

That’s a HUGE difference!!! Now obviously you want the clearance to be just enough to allow grease to surround the collar while installed in the bushings, but what’s a real world expectation here?

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: Real talk about swingarm collar/bushing clearance
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 02:53:59 am »
.02 is 20 thou or 1/2mm and way to big so that has to be a misprint. 2 thou or a slinding fit with no play is more like it and the collar has grooves to let grease get round( or at least should have!)
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline chadbenson

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 05:48:27 am »
🤔 It shows it to be .02 in both the clymer and the shop manual! I am so confused.

Offline low-side

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 07:48:26 am »
Service limits are always huge.  The standard spec looks largish but more reasonable.  If I'm setting that up with bronze bushings and modern grease I'd shoot for .001" to .002"; if I was using stock steel bushings and some really heavy old school chassis grease I could probably live with .004" or so.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 08:33:52 am »
Instead of looking at max wear look at standard new sizes,
Max pin with min bush= same size no clearance
Min pin with max bush = 3 thou clearance

Says it all
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 08:37:06 am »
The rear cross engine bolt has an influence on the clearance too.

I installed Kenosha Kid bushings in Red and checked the play after few hundred miles.  It needed a washer to make it tighter.