Author Topic: Colouring pipe, black plugs, no gas  (Read 2350 times)

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
Colouring pipe, black plugs, no gas
« on: April 03, 2019, 10:41:27 am »
Greetings from Norway! The other day I got a new stainless steel exhaust. After the bike has been warm couple of times I noticed yellow/gold colouration. I've heard this is because of running lean or tight valves? It has not turned blue, but I'm afraid it will if I run it any more. The headers get hot really quick, while rest of the pipes can stay cool for some time.
But if it's lean, should the plugs be black? Also the pipes have turned black inside. I can see that there is little fuel running through the clear filter. I have switched fuel lines several times and tried different routes, the petcock is new.
Starts quickly with full choke and open throttle. And the oil tank smells like gas.. Carbs has been rebuild with stock sizes. Stock airfilter, new boots.
In the vid you can also hear a rattling.
The bike feels very responsive and powerful when driving.
This is a 73 750 sohc

https://youtu.be/x1SAKVnxkOI

Sent fra min E5823 via Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:49:01 am by mathias2803 »

Offline robvangulik

• Honda Fourever
  • Expert
Re: Colouring pipe, black plugs, no gas
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 12:25:41 pm »
Stainless steel always turns yellow when heated repeatedly.
Are those iridium sparkplugs?
Try normal NGK's.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 01:44:56 pm »
Stainless pipes are single skinned whilst original are double skinned so the hot gas does not contact directly the outside pipe
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 03:37:14 pm »
Stainless steel always turns yellow when heated repeatedly.
Are those iridium sparkplugs?
Try normal NGK's.
The guys at cycleX who made it told me it should not turn gold ish and that it could be a sign of the bike running lean. Is there a big difference between iridium and normal?

Anyone know what the rattling sound is?
Appreciate the time

Offline robvangulik

• Honda Fourever
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 04:33:46 pm »
Rattling, what rpm is it running, it sounds really low.
Are you sure those pipes clear your front wheel when braking?

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 04:47:28 pm »
Rattling, what rpm is it running, it sounds really low.
Are you sure those pipes clear your front wheel when braking?
Yea Usually I have to adjust the idle screw because of uneven idle. Here it was adjusted really low. Nope probably not, I'm going to sell the pipes and raise the height about 1,5"inch. It's not a problem with the old pipes. Don't know if its the pipes or if its because I have lowered it

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 05:14:47 pm »
If it is running really rich, it could be afterburn being completed in the exhaust header, which, of course would be hotter than regular exhaust.

Not sure why you chose iridium.  They are mostly for high energy ignitions, to reduce electrode wear from electrical discharge.  However, if only the tip is iridium, only half the plugs will benefit from the electrode erosion, as our SOHC4 fire one plug in positive polarity and the other in negative polarity.  For iridium to actually benefit, both the tip and the ground strap have to be iridium.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 02:47:27 am »
A mild correction about the coloration of your pipes. ALL stainless will turn a color when heated, the actual color being a "thermometer" of sorts. The straw yellow tint is the presence of heat and it will remain unless you clean the pipe periodically. The hotter the pipes run, they will turn blue. That means your exhaust gas is somewhere above 600*F. That is not good as its too hot for your bike to producing.

If the straw yellow color doesn't change, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about, live with it, enjoy it, and be proud that the exhaust temp is right where its supposed to be, below 500*.

Your pipes will not discolor equally along their length. The exhaust gas cools during travel, so the farther away from the head, the cooler it becomes. Stainless actually absorbs that heat depriving the gas from its own energy in a way. Its sensible to wipe the pipes down with Acetone after handling them or working on your bike. Any oil or grease left on them will get badly baked on once the pipe gets hot.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 03:28:41 am »
Some say lean and some say rich. I will have to take a closer look to find out what is the case.
I'm not sure about the plugs, I will check if they are iridium when I'm home.

I guess I can use a distance thermometer to check how hot the pipes get.

Will be checking the floats and the idle valves and change the oil since it's gas in it

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 05:25:53 am »
 Your black sooty plug is not showing signs of being lean.

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 05:40:54 am »
Your black sooty plug is not showing signs of being lean.
I know, that's why I'm confused since someone told me different. That it was rich was my first impression. When the bike is hot it's riding really well.

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 08:18:00 am »
My plugs look the same.

Have real bad gassy smell also. Seems I have more work ahead of me.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 03:39:12 pm »
My plugs look the same.

Have real bad gassy smell also. Seems I have more work ahead of me.
I'm gonna check the float needle and be sure to turn off the petcock. Also definitely change the oil

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 06:56:27 pm »
When unburned fuel is spit out to the pipes, it continues to burn. Rich mixtures make this situation worse. It is not uncommon for rich exhaust to discolor pipes: is is usually the primary cause of this discoloration.

A question for you: in the picture, the plug gap looks very wide. Is it more than 0.028" gap? If so, the plug is experiencing a very short spark, which can create symptoms that mimic a too-rich fuel condition. When the gap is too large, the spark only appears for a portion of the coil discharge: in the OEM coil there are 5 spark excursions back-and-forth between the electrodes at 0.028" gap, and only 3 excursions at 0.035". Note: this is not to be confused with "multiple spark" systems: instead, once the plasma sets up from the first spark, it echos back-and-forth between the electrodes until the coil discharges fully enough to stop it. If the gap is too big, the spark duration suffers and fuel is left unburned.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 07:27:19 pm »
When unburned fuel is spit out to the pipes, it continues to burn. Rich mixtures make this situation worse. It is not uncommon for rich exhaust to discolor pipes: is is usually the primary cause of this discoloration.

A question for you: in the picture, the plug gap looks very wide. Is it more than 0.028" gap? If so, the plug is experiencing a very short spark, which can create symptoms that mimic a too-rich fuel condition. When the gap is too large, the spark only appears for a portion of the coil discharge: in the OEM coil there are 5 spark excursions back-and-forth between the electrodes at 0.028" gap, and only 3 excursions at 0.035". Note: this is not to be confused with "multiple spark" systems: instead, once the plasma sets up from the first spark, it echos back-and-forth between the electrodes until the coil discharges fully enough to stop it. If the gap is too big, the spark duration suffers and fuel is left unburned.
I'm not sure, I will have to measure. For information these are iridium plugs and I have 5ohm dyna coils. Aftermarket exhaust and orginal air box with foam filter if I remember correctly

Offline Tracksnblades1

• My Son was a collegiate competition Trap, Skeet, and sporting Clay
  • Master
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 07:49:23 pm »
Are your iridium NGK spark plugs Resistor type. A lot of NGK iridium plugs are.
Read HondaMan's post regarding NGK resistor type spark plug boots. Your spark plug boots can have 5k-10k ohms already, depending on which ones you have. Defective ones, more. Running resistor spark plugs series the resistance (adds).

I'm guessing your running DR8EIX plugs...?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 08:26:46 pm by Tracksnblades1 »
Age Quod Agis

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 03:21:40 am »
Are your iridium NGK spark plugs Resistor type. A lot of NGK iridium plugs are.
Read HondaMan's post regarding NGK resistor type spark plug boots. Your spark plug boots can have 5k-10k ohms already, depending on which ones you have. Defective ones, more. Running resistor spark plugs series the resistance (adds).

I'm guessing your running DR8EIX plugs...?
Yes you are correct about the spark plug type. The boots are NGK

Offline Tracksnblades1

• My Son was a collegiate competition Trap, Skeet, and sporting Clay
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 05:52:58 am »
In addition to your possible carburetor and float woes. Make sure your points, timing, valve lash are within spec.

Check out HondaMan's writings of resistance in the ignition coils secondary circuit (spark plug circuit).
Honda used different resistor values in the spark plug caps over the years. Some have recommended against using resistor type plugs with resistor spark plug caps, adding series resistance. NGK may still manufacture 0ohm spark plug caps but I haven't checked.

I don't think NGK DR8EIX are the double iridium type. But, I'm not sure.
Attached are pictures of Bosch double platinum and double iridium. Purposely manufactured for the wasted spark ignition's reversed spark polarity of the running pair.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:26:04 am by Tracksnblades1 »
Age Quod Agis

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 04:19:30 pm »
The plug caps are the resistor type, I switched to denso U plugs. Did not make any difference. The timing has been set once, but can check it again.
After oil change I'm having struggle starting it
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 04:26:47 pm by mathias2803 »

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 06:14:41 pm »
In addition to your possible carburetor and float woes. Make sure your points, timing, valve lash are within spec.

Check out HondaMan's writings of resistance in the ignition coils secondary circuit (spark plug circuit).
Honda used different resistor values in the spark plug caps over the years. Some have recommended against using resistor type plugs with resistor spark plug caps, adding series resistance. NGK may still manufacture 0ohm spark plug caps but I haven't checked.

I don't think NGK DR8EIX are the double iridium type. But, I'm not sure.
Attached are pictures of Bosch double platinum and double iridium. Purposely manufactured for the wasted spark ignition's reversed spark polarity of the running pair.

Wow, this is some kind of....stuff...
When the coil discharges, it breaks down in an AC (alternating current) oscillation. If they can still be found, the entire series where I developed the Transistor Ignition here shows the oscilloscope waveforms of the discharge activity. IIRC, there were 7-10 back-and-forth cycles with the Honda coils and 5-7 (depending on engine speed) with the Dyna 3-ohm coils I used in those tests, and those pictures are all posted here for the world to see. Platinum? Iridium? The only difference the metals make regards erosion wear. The tinier 'tips' where the precious metal(s) are built up provide a smaller target site for the electrons to build up and jump from, to the opposite polarity: this technique is called "improving the electron field density" and is widely used in electronic systems. This is why the original "fine wire" plugs were so successful in the 1970s, but they wore quickly: when they reappeared, it was with...platinum tips to reduce wear and increase life.
;)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2019, 12:42:48 pm »
Spark Is all over the place and not between the points on the plugs. Tried with denso and NGK iridium with same results. Not sure if this means anything

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2019, 04:32:44 pm »
Try std plugs, NGK D8EA or Denso equal.
My K6 with Dyna 5 ohm coils did not like iridium plugs. Ran colder. I usually set plugs to 0.7mm, I'll test 0.6mm next time.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2019, 04:45:10 pm »
Try std plugs, NGK D8EA or Denso equal.
My K6 with Dyna 5 ohm coils did not like iridium plugs. Ran colder. I usually set plugs to 0.7mm, I'll test 0.6mm next time.
Just said I tried denso without any difference.  The plugs are not the problem. But thanks for sharing.

Are you using NGK caps with resistors with the 5ohm coils?

Anyone know how I can measure the resistance in the caps?

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2019, 05:31:34 pm »
Cap resistance is measured with them unscrewed from the wire and probes inserted in each end.  Infinity measurement means the cap is open and has an extra gap to jump inside, requiring higher voltage than might be available.  Should be replaced, if so.

Resistor plugs usually have 5K Ω resistance. The resistors have a 10-20% tolerance range and function is maintained within that range. You probably don't want more the 10K total for each spark path.  The cap and plug resistance would add directly.  Most 750s have about 5KΩ resistance in each spark path to electrode.  550's will work fine with 10K resistance coil to electrode.  All mine have 10KΩ plug caps, with the Hotter D7ES plugs.  Colder D8 plugs probably are fine with 5KΩ caps *or* 5KΩ resistor plugs with stock coils.   But, the spark gap needs to be to Honda specs, too.

Have you ruled out a points and or condenser issue?  These can mess with spark, too.  Clean contacts with file, not grit that can embed in the soft metal.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2019, 07:53:26 pm »
My bike(s) have Dyna 5 ohm coils, NGK 5kohm caps. copper HT wires. I have bad experience of Dyna supressed grey graphite wires.

Denso  x24es-u or NGK D8EA plugs.

TEC points and Hondaman ignition.
Running sooty black plugs can be floading floats.

Make sure ignition is OK and does not advance too early. Both mine did and have their adv springs cut 1/2 turn or slightly more.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967