Author Topic: Colouring pipe, black plugs, no gas  (Read 2352 times)

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
Re: Colouring pipe, black plugs, no gas
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2019, 08:54:45 am »
My bike(s) have Dyna 5 ohm coils, NGK 5kohm caps. copper HT wires. I have bad experience of Dyna supressed grey graphite wires.

Denso  x24es-u or NGK D8EA plugs.

TEC points and Hondaman ignition.
Running sooty black plugs can be floading floats.

Make sure ignition is OK and does not advance too early. Both mine did and have their adv springs cut 1/2 turn or slightly more.
Not sure if I understood the last bit there. Any reson why the advancer spring should suddenly be a problem? I haven't touched that part. I may have touched the wires going to the ignition points when cleaning the bike after oil change so I'm going to check that. The timing light goes on exactly when the mark is hitting F

Sent fra min E5823 via Tapatalk

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2019, 10:17:33 am »
Wires checked. Timing set more accurately, points cleaned still not firing up. Plugs are looking dry. Battery is getting empty fast so have to recharge after using starter a couple of times. Positive wire, solenoid and battery is abit warm after running starter.
The ignition points were replaced not long ago, looks like one is uneven at the points and abit wiggly.
Might just get electronic ignition..

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2019, 10:42:29 am »
If you have a weak battery, the starter motor current draw can suck the voltage down so low as to make spark iffy to not useful.  If you can't charge the battery to full, then disable lighting and use the kick.  And/ or find out what voltage is actually getting to the coils while you try and start it.

Your call to throw money and parts at the problem instead of finding root cause.

Have you verified that with points open the yellow or blue wire posts have voltage.  And when the point are closed, the voltage goes to zero?

If you open closed points with power on (use something insulated like a popsicle stick or wood skewer), can you observe spark at a plug connected and laying on the engine block?

There have been a spate of posts regarding chinese points and condensers that are rather dodgey in function.  I think Diachi is the questionable brand.

Tec has a good brand reputation.  And I'm still using those on my bikes.   If you can verify not getting spark on either side with a full battery, might be time to address component integrity.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2019, 11:12:14 am »
If you have a weak battery, the starter motor current draw can suck the voltage down so low as to make spark iffy to not useful.  If you can't charge the battery to full, then disable lighting and use the kick.  And/ or find out what voltage is actually getting to the coils while you try and start it.

Your call to throw money and parts at the problem instead of finding root cause.

Have you verified that with points open the yellow or blue wire posts have voltage.  And when the point are closed, the voltage goes to zero?

If you open closed points with power on (use something insulated like a popsicle stick or wood skewer), can you observe spark at a plug connected and laying on the engine block?

There have been a spate of posts regarding chinese points and condensers that are rather dodgey in function.  I think Diachi is the questionable brand.

Tec has a good brand reputation.  And I'm still using those on my bikes.   If you can verify not getting spark on either side with a full battery, might be time to address component integrity.

Cheers,
Thank you for the reply, it's much appreciated since I have no other's to get help from, except a paid mechanic.. But this is the way to learn.
The battery seems to be in good condition, It's not long ago I got a new one and when testing I'm using two fully charged batteries. But they get sucked up quickly and the headlight has been disconnected. There is spark on the plug, but like I said earlier it's outside the electrode point. I can also see spark between the ignition point gap. On the left ignition point the plates are not 100% aligned and that is why I was thinking about replacing. Since I have replaced the points once I was thinking about going for electronic ignition this time. I have red about these aftermarket points and that they kinda suck.
I will try to run some readings on the coils, haven't done it before.. But I'm sure I'll figure it out. Thanks

Offline mathias2803

• honda sohc owners
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2019, 06:28:42 am »
Opened the carbs today and got a surprise. I remembered having 110 main jets, but turns out they were 135! The bike had stock exhaust and everything when I bought it so I don't understand why it has 135..? I have installed a 4-1 exhaust and the bike ran really good and responsive in all ranges. I have a set of 110 laying around, but it's hard to imagine that the bike will run well with those.. Anyone know why someone would put 135 in a stock bike? Maybe it's bored?

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2019, 09:44:17 am »
Anyone know why someone would put 135 in a stock bike?
My guess...

ignorant meddling...
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.