Author Topic: timing trouble with charlie's ignition  (Read 3081 times)

Offline rotortiller

• Hot Shot
Re: timing trouble with charlie's ignition
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 05:15:54 am »
Being a parts motor maybe it has the wrong rotor on it? You never know who has been at it. It should be easy enough to verify with someone on the forum using a correctly functioning unit.

Offline rupaulpierce

• Hot Shot
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 05:43:59 am »
Being a parts motor maybe it has the wrong rotor on it? You never know who has been at it. It should be easy enough to verify with someone on the forum using a correctly functioning unit.
Verified with Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rupaulpierce

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 11:28:30 am »

[/quote]
 I was reading some Dyna S troubleshooting guides, and found that Dyna suggesting timing to the full advance marks by twisting the rotor while doing the static timing. I don't know what's different inside Dyna's black box pickup, but maybe that will work for this unit too.
[/quote]

Tried this today, no dice. Could I simply not be getting enough juice from the stock coils?

Offline rupaulpierce

• Hot Shot
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2019, 07:15:59 am »
Got a break from the rain this morning and rigged up the 3ohm dyna mini coils that came with this ignition. I just zip tied them together through the frame for a test rather than worry about mounting them properly. All four cylinders were firing with points, so I went ahead and installed and timed the Charlie's ignition for what feels like the 12th time. Seemed to be working, so I took it for a spin and bingo, must have been something up with the 1-4 stock coil. Curious why the 1-4 coil would work at idle but cut out under load if anyone can explain it to me. It read 4.7ohms between the posts.

No backfire or stutter with the dynas but I still don't have much power above 6k rpm. I'm thinking that's either due to jetting, or the 34 tooth rear sprocket the PO put on lowering the power band.

After reading many threads on coil resistance and ignition systems, I probably won't stick with this set up. I have a Hondaman ignition on the way, so I'll probably run that once I figure out what do about the coils.

Offline 540nova

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2019, 08:40:18 am »
Even a Rolex can have problems occasionally. I'd get a replacement from Charlie.
This post is a great indication of the personal, quick service Charlie gives. I have had the same level of care from him.
Compare to Pamco, who does not even provide his phone number, and never answers email. He handles all warranty work via forum posts, if you're lucky.
Speaking from personal experience, after my Pamco failed, after 80 miles.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 09:10:35 am by 540nova »

Offline rupaulpierce

• Hot Shot
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2019, 09:35:11 am »
Even a Rolex can have problems occasionally. I'd get a replacement from Charlie.
This post is a great indication of the personal, quick service Charlie gives. I have had the same level of care from him.
Compare to Pamco, who does not even provide his phone number, and never answers email. He handles all warranty work via forum posts, if you're lucky.

I think you misunderstood, Charlie’s ignition worked fine with the Dyna coils, it didn’t work with my stock coils. The coil must be the problem.

Offline 540nova

• Hot Shot
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2019, 10:49:54 am »

I think you misunderstood, Charlie’s ignition worked fine with the Dyna coils, it didn’t work with my stock coils. The coil must be the problem.

Ah, I didn't catch that. Glad you figured it out.

Offline SohcCBs

• Enthusiast
  • 76 CB836F 77 GL1000
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2019, 02:02:50 pm »
If I remember right, the Dyna S must be mated with 3ohm coils.  That's why I went with Acell Super Coils.  Maybe your ignition set requires that too.

I think you can get the Super Coils still, but I'm not sure if they're any good anymore.  I bought an Acell ignition (replacement box) for my F150 and it didn't work.  Mr.Gasket may now manufacture them in China.  It's only a guess.  The Dyna coils are also compatible.