Author Topic: Nicklopic's CB650 cafe thing (Top end build with modern suspension)  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
Re: Nicklopic's CB650 cafe thing (Top end build with modern suspension)
« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2020, 03:53:37 pm »
so weird issue as popped up.
Started last night where down shifting into 3rd was a problem. just would go without a couple tries. Today same thing but also with first. Seemed to just not wanna go. It was better if i would pick my foot up and actually kick it down.
I had adjusted the clutch as per the manual the other day and all was good for a while. i need to adjust the cable a bit but just so I'm not using so much adjustment at the lever. The chain has a bit of slack to it that i definitely need to take up but im not sure if that would be a cause. I'm running 10w40 Valvoline MC oil, nothing fancy. Everything has been good for 2 or 300 miles so far so i dont think its an issue with the throw of the rear sets or anything.
Anyone have any ideas?
80' CB650

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #176 on: October 18, 2020, 05:47:01 pm »
I have had similar problems with a couple bikes lately.  Both turned out to be simply part of the shifter or linkage interfering with something so that the return spring did not have enough strength to overcome what was rubbing.  Or maybe something wrong with the return spring...jut have to take off the shifter cover to see.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #177 on: October 18, 2020, 06:02:21 pm »
really like the sound of a non catastrophic issue lol (i tend to assume the worst so i figured id ask for insight instead of jumping to my usual conclusions and panicking myself lol)
When i do some maintenance tomorrow ill pop that off and take a peak. Now that you mention it i think i noticed the shifter not always feeling like it returned all the way. 
80' CB650

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #178 on: October 19, 2020, 12:57:14 pm »
Like I said, both times I had bikes with this problem, it wasn't even inside the cover.  One was an incorrect shift pedal clamp bolt rubbing on the foot peg and the other was a rearset linkage with some slop causing a binding condition.

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #179 on: October 19, 2020, 03:00:28 pm »
Took some slack out of the chain and pulled the linkage off to pull the chain cover and I’m thinking the linkage is my issue.
One of the rod ends on the cognito linkage is Seized. The other has a little play. The shifter arm and lever arm are staggered so it makes sense that it’s binding. I’m going to email cognito and possibly order replacements. These look like pretty cheesy ends because I don’t see any Teflon/PTFE or whatever liners in them like the heims I use on my Jeep.
Yes there small with minimal load but I’ve put less than 300 miles and this thing is frozen. The ones on my Jeep while wayyyyyy larger are years old and abused and I can rotate the linkages by hand even with load.
Cognito’s stuff is not cheap and i feel like it leaves a bit to be desired. I’m sure these are outsourced though.
80' CB650

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #180 on: October 19, 2020, 03:11:58 pm »
From what I have seen,  Cognito just makes rearset mounts, and then they supply a pair of universal Tarrozi's at a mark up.  I have seen Tarrozi heims with no liner and they have always worked fine for me.  If the design, length, and adjustment of the rods and levers is correct you don't even necessarily need a heim joint.  So you probably are gonna have to play with them a bit to find where they are gonna stay working good.

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #181 on: October 19, 2020, 09:12:43 pm »
Their current rear sets the sell are definitely their own design now. Those I will say are very nicely done.
I definitely need some kind of an end since the shifter arm and lever are are offset a bit so it needs that movement. I’m going to research what McMaster has to offer as well as cognito for replacements. I’d rather have the piece of mind having a liner in it so they’re smoother and hopefully better quality. Duds happen, I know but I would like to avoid another lol
80' CB650

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2020, 02:33:24 pm »
I ordered some QA1 rod ends and received them today. Chose them because they were reasonably priced, actually stainless instead of zinc plated, and were lined plus QA1 is pretty reputable in the racing world I think.. WELLLLLLLL they’re stiff AF. Like almost as stiff as the one side that’s binding up. I love it.
I’m going to try and wiggle them a while as see if I they wear in a little nicer so I can actually move them.
80' CB650

Online DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2020, 04:36:01 am »
Are they stiff just holding them in your hand or is it the mechanism making them stiff? I made my own linkages for when I had rear sets and got right and left hand thread stainless ball joint rod ends (heim joints) from McMaster. The mechanism is sitting on the shelf now but it’s still as smooth as can be. Want to post some pictures of the linkage?

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2020, 09:20:43 am »
They’re stiff even with a bolt run through for leverage. I got one to free up after a few hours I’m of intermittent movement but then I took it too far and ruined both of them. I clamped the balls with a nut and bolt, lubed them a little, and then spun them in the end with a drill too much. They started to feel smooth and free. Then I got overzealous and spun them too much, now they’re free but you can feel some grit when moving them. I probably destroyed the liner lol. One is smoother than the other, I’ll probably mix and match until I get some more.
Moral of the story, don’t be impatient.

Here’s what the Linkage looks like. There’s a slight offset that you can see from the top. When it was binding it wouldn’t give it full throw without force and would fully reset after a shift
80' CB650

Online DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2020, 05:39:53 pm »
Very odd. So with mixing and matching are you good now?

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #186 on: October 26, 2020, 12:57:07 pm »
Seems to feel okay now. It’s misting and damp so I don’t feel like going out today for a test. I ran it through the gear just letting the clutch out a little in the garage and let it go through the gears and back down again. Seems free and nice.

I got distracted and did some other little things, lubed, adjusted and re routed the clutch cable so it’s a little smoother, painted the letters on the chain guard (found the shifter seal is leaking a little, I’ll wait for the winter) and finally got the kick stand peg on.
I shaved and ground the inner portion of the peg so I could rotate it 180*, then trimmed the peg down, shaved and shaped it a little. It’s now stubby, ovalled so it’s just a hair more out of the way and has a tapper and slight point so it my toe won’t grab on when up shifting but has grip when I use my heal to kick it down. Not the most interesting thing but it was fun to shape with a file by hand and solves an issue.
For anyone that doesn’t remember from previous pages, the kickstand and cognito rear sets occupy the same space. I was running without the peg for a while because it’s standard size and shape made it interfere with my foot and shifter. It was a little annoying to put the kickstand down without it.
Also an extra pic of the bike because why not. (The glare makes it seem like the letters aren’t completely black/or are faded. They are though)
80' CB650

Online DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2020, 05:37:03 am »
Yes dude, looking killer. Love the finish on the motor, so nice

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org
« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2020, 08:45:35 pm »
 This is Such a groovy build!

;