Author Topic: Brake light/Flasher issue, mystery third wire  (Read 457 times)

Offline Eddiev

Brake light/Flasher issue, mystery third wire
« on: April 14, 2019, 03:47:59 pm »
I'm having an issue with the wiring for my motorcycle, its a cb650sc 1982. I took a lot of the components off and after putting everything back together im finding that with the ignition turned on the rear turn signals aren't always on like the front ones are, but the turn signal switch does turn it on and off as usual. I took a look at the flasher unit and found there to be 3 wires, and only two of them would get the lights to flash. My second question is, there are only 2 wires that make this turn on, whats the third green wire used for? I'm also having problems with the brake light being turned on from either brake switches, both switches are good. I'm guessing I have the wrong wires placed on this flasher and may be causing issues on the brake light end of things.

Any help is appreciated, hope everyone had a good weekend!

Offline MikeSimon

• MotoManiac
  • Expert
  • Motorcycle Addict
Re: Brake light/Flasher issue, mystery third wire
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 03:55:19 pm »
One thing is, that the rear turn signals do not function as running lights and are not always on, like the front ones.
1973 CB350F -sold
1974 CB350F -218 orig miles, sold
1976 CB750K - in restoration

Other Hondas:
3 x CBX
CB1100R
GB500
Plus Kawasakis, BMws & Ducatis

Offline Eddiev

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 04:01:54 pm »
Thanks Mike, that's one less thing to concern myself with!

Offline QuimperPen

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 04:23:39 pm »
Third wire appeared on many of the Hondas of that period. Has no function on US models but was used in other markets such as UK.

Offline Eddiev

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 04:42:30 pm »
Ok, if that's the case I'm really lost when it comes to the break light. Both switches give continuity and are connected to the right plug. Attached is how the wires are hooked up to the light.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 04:56:21 pm »
The brake light circuit is independent of the flasher, not connected with it at all.
You should have power on both switches - a black wire. This should have +12V on it whenever the key is on. The brake bulbs are connected to the green/yellow wires, that looks good in your pic. Brown wire is the tail light. Confirm you have voltage at the brakelight switches (mechanical for the rear and hydraulic for the front). They are just in parallel, either switch (or both at once) should turn on the brake light.
The green wire by the flasher is a ground, used for 3-terminal flashers. The stock flasher is a 2-terminal type. It can connect either way to the flasher wires, black is of course +12 power and grey goes to the turn signal switch.

Offline Eddiev

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 06:28:25 pm »
Well, im not getting any voltage at the front or rear brake switches. fuses look fine. Both switches were working for a couple minutes and then the flasher just stopped working. Both flashers don't work on the bike anymore. The switch will just turn off the corresponding turn signal but the flasher won't click on. I guess I'll have to just start tracing these wires back :(
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 06:48:39 pm by Eddiev »