Author Topic: Shift Drum  (Read 649 times)

Offline The Gurg

• Hot Shot
Shift Drum
« on: April 15, 2019, 02:47:18 pm »
Noticed the one of the rollers on the shift drum I was going to use was frozen. Tried soaking it in brake cleaner, then PB Blaster. Using channel locks. Then I tried MAP gas. Still frozen. Noticed the metal changed color and darkened.

Anything I can do to unfreeze the roller? The color change doesn’t mean anything about the integrity of the metal right?

(The roller on the right in the picture.)

Offline pjlogue

• Expert
Re: Shift Drum
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 04:02:12 pm »
The color change means any hardening of the steel has been tempered (softened)  I don't think this will make any difference in its function as it isn't a wear part.  Others may have a better idea. 

You need to be careful heating steel parts.  A standard bolt won't make a difference but heat a grade 8 bolt and have it air coo,l it is no longer a grade 8 bolt.  Suspension components that have been stamped can be softened after they have been heated and allowed to cool slowly.  It removes the work hardening they acquire from being stamped into shape.

-P.

Offline The Gurg

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 07:30:06 pm »
Yeah, makes sense. Appreciate your feedback.

Wish the screw on the drum wasn’t punched in. How do you go about removing it and punching it back in place?

Offline pjlogue

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 10:18:39 am »
You might try a dremal with a small ball bit and grind out the punch marks.  I would use locktite upon reassembly. 

-P.