Author Topic: engine rebuild oil pump priming  (Read 1725 times)

Offline skidsolo

engine rebuild oil pump priming
« on: April 15, 2019, 07:49:40 pm »
I just recently rebuild my engine and had heard many issues of not getting oil pressure on a rebuilt engine. I primed the oil pump off the engine in a bath of oil and cranked the pump gear in either direction until I could see oil coming out of either gallery when the direction was reversed. I then carefully installed the pump without tipping it, into the bottom of the motor. I then filled it with oil and started to crank the engine a few times on the starter. No oil pressure was evident. I then hooked up an air line to the oil tank breather and set the pressure gauge to about 25 PSI. I left it running for about twenty mins, I could hear air leaking from the cap. I then cranked the motor a fews times on the starter and suddenly I got oil pressure.

Offline knottedknickers

• Enthusiast
Re: engine rebuild oil pump priming
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 12:26:40 pm »
Another method from the magicians at CycleX (just received a step-by-step with pictures in an e-mail from them; couldn't find a link on their site yet...):
With the oil lines hooked up to an oil tank and approx. 1 quart of oil in sump pan [they showed pouring it in at the head breather cover (top middle of head)], remove the clutch cover and clutch pack to gain access to the oil pump gear. Turn the oil pump gear with a drill counter clockwise and watch your oil pressure pop right up, unless you have other oiling problems of course.

You have now filled, bled, and pressurized the motor cavities and oil filter area with oil without turning the motor over, allowing for instant oil pressures.
For what it's worth!
CB750 K6 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=141388.0

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data" (Borgmann 2002:5).