Author Topic: Terry's NEW Redneck CB750 rebuild. The "Swamp Rat". Too soon? Nah..........  (Read 43664 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Terry's NEW Redneck CB750 rebuild. The "Swamp Rat". Too soon? Nah..........
« Reply #425 on: November 13, 2019, 09:59:52 pm »
Thanks Vik, no gloves mate, I'd rather skin my knuckles than lose my grip, although of course, I did lose my grip......... No rest, the wire wheel grabbed it, it didn't hit the floor but may have hit the steel wall because my son said the reason he came running out was because he heard a big bang, and there is a skid mark on the wall. I've got an appointment with the plastic surgeon tomorrow, to see if/what surgery I'll need to make myself beautiful again. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #426 on: November 13, 2019, 11:36:24 pm »
You'll always be beautiful to us big fella

However don't forget to tell the doctor you need lots and lots of painkillers
i blame Terry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #427 on: November 14, 2019, 01:50:03 am »
Thanks Spotty, I certainly will, I just about had to put Dr Paaree in a headlock to get just 20 Endone tablets out of him yesterday! Well the best medicine for whatever ails you when you've got the motorcycle addiction is, of course, another motorcycle, so tonight my new friend Harry dropped off the remains of a K1. Just an engine and a frame, and a few other bits, but as you all know, there are plenty of CB750 parts out in the "Tardis" as Cliff calls my garage, so I'm sure I'll find what I need out there when the time comes to turn it back into a bike.

The K1 is my favourite CB750, my second 750/4 was a K1, and I rode the wheels off that thing once I put it back together, back in those days I paid $300 for it, and it came with a spare 750, which may have been a K0. I gave the spare bike away, but I know where it is, and one day I'll probably get it back. No biggie, right when I think all the old shed find bikes have gone, I find the remains of another one, so this will be a great project, but not before the big Z gets a guernsey.

Terry's new K1 project 14 Nov 2019 a by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

For all you guys who've never seen a CB750 that's dropped it's cam chain, have a look at this. I'll be doing a top end strip tomorrow just to see how much evil lurks within. It might be scary.......... ;D

Terry's new K1 project 14 Nov 2019 b by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #428 on: November 14, 2019, 02:02:23 am »
 Are the case numbers K1 ? Head looks like a later one.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #429 on: November 14, 2019, 02:24:55 am »
Thanks Frank, yep, here are the numbers. I have a minty K1 head out in my garage. ;D

Terry's new K1 project 14 Nov 2019 5 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Terry's new K1 project 14 Nov 2019 9 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline spotty

• Master
« Reply #430 on: November 14, 2019, 02:37:46 am »
Now come on Terry , you can keep banging on about the K1 being your favourite but we all know about the soft spot you have for the K7's and 8's, otherwise why would you have bought my satanic trail bike, the ultimate expression of 7ness
i blame Terry

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
Check the K1 head for ex seals. My K2 smoked some extra with an old head with non sealed ex guides.  Much better with a refurbished K6 head.

I cant show your face for my woman. She will bann me from working in the garage without a complete anti riot suit ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 09:12:44 am by PeWe »
CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #432 on: November 14, 2019, 02:41:17 pm »
Thanks guys, at the plastic surgeon's clinic as I type this, and looking forward to getting home and whipping the head of that engine to entertain you all with images of whatever disasters lie within.

Spotty, the K7 will either be reborn as a K6, or at least "beautified" before some "Man Bun" wearing hipster with a Ned Kelly beard, skinny jeans and gymboots comes knocking on my door to hand me a pile of cash, for that pile of, er, whatever it is. All good, if it generates funds for more bike builds, I'll be happy.

The K1 head in my garage is a very early one Per, quite different from the heads I've seen on later K1's and from memory, doesn't have seals on the exhaust guides. My first K1 didn't have them either, but I don't remember it blowing smoke? I do have a bag full of new guides somewhere though, so I'll probably change them out.

The good thing is I'm going to the Bendigo Swap Meet tomorrow with my son Tim, so hopefully I'll find some K1 parts bargains. No rush though, there are a couple of bikes ahead of it in the rebuild line. ;D

Offline spotty

• Master
« Reply #433 on: November 14, 2019, 03:31:57 pm »
bendigo is always fun

if you see a zzr 1100 c tank let me know and get a contact number maybe

have fun and wear comfy shoes
i blame Terry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #434 on: November 14, 2019, 03:33:32 pm »
No worries, if I see one and it's cheap, I'll buy it. ;D

Offline vik351

• Enthusiast
  • Adelaide South Australia ...
« Reply #435 on: November 14, 2019, 04:02:26 pm »
Thanks guys, at the plastic surgeon's clinic as I type this, and looking forward to getting home and whipping the head of that engine to entertain you all with images of whatever disasters lie within.

Spotty, the K7 will either be reborn as a K6, or at least "beautified" before some "Man Bun" wearing hipster with a Ned Kelly beard, skinny jeans and gymboots comes knocking on my door to hand me a pile of cash, for that pile of, er, whatever it is. All good, if it generates funds for more bike builds, I'll be happy.

The K1 head in my garage is a very early one Per, quite different from the heads I've seen on later K1's and from memory, doesn't have seals on the exhaust guides. My first K1 didn't have them either, but I don't remember it blowing smoke? I do have a bag full of new guides somewhere though, so I'll probably change them out.

The good thing is I'm going to the Bendigo Swap Meet tomorrow with my son Tim, so hopefully I'll find some K1 parts bargains. No rush though, there are a couple of bikes ahead of it in the rebuild line. ;D

WTF...??? :o

Hope your not thinkin of floggin my pegged out K7 bits...!!!

vik...  :'(

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #436 on: November 14, 2019, 06:55:33 pm »
No mate, I've got more 750 parts in my garage than the average bloke could comprehend, so your parts are safe. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #437 on: November 14, 2019, 07:21:55 pm »
So it looks like my Bendigo Swap Meet trip is off, as they want to operate on me tomorrow. The surgeon has already told me that because the weekends are their busiest times I could get dropped off the list, so I suggested that we do it on Monday, but no, I need to be fcuked around by missing out on a "once a year" event so I can starve myself from midnight tonight, present myself at hospital at 0 dark 30, then hang around a fcuking hospital all day, just to be told that Dustin the drifter has wrapped his POS Nissan around a pole, killed a couple of his dopey mates, but now has priority over me, so I can fcuk off home and wait.

And the stupid thing is, I've got private health cover, so I can have surgery at my choice of hospitals by my choice of surgeons, so why the fcuk can't I go to the swap meet and have the surgery on Monday?

On top of that, they're worried about my eye, so they've sent me to the eye and ear hospital to get it checked out. I've just had 3 lots of drops in my eyes to dilate the pupils, and not only does it sting, my vision will be blurred for the next 4 to 6 hours. Of course I drove here so now I have to leave my car in the expensive car parking joint and get a cab home, and come back tomorrow to collect it, but of course, I'll be in fcuking hospital tomorrow, waiting for an operation that probably won't come off, when I should be at the swap meet, finding ZZR tanks for Spotty, and lots of K1 bargains, as well. Spew...... ;D

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #438 on: November 14, 2019, 08:13:12 pm »
That's it Terry, keeping a positive outlook is the best medicine and is going to help you get better quicker. I don't know how you do it!🙈🙉🙊
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #439 on: November 14, 2019, 08:22:26 pm »
Take it from an ex spurt on broken bulges Uncle Tez, the earlier they attack it the better off you'll be.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 08:24:54 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline spotty

• Master
« Reply #440 on: November 14, 2019, 08:46:10 pm »
pack of twunts those doctors are, never mind, just get yourself fixed

you never know, by next year maybe the hipsters will have moved on to something else ( i was going to say old film type cameras but apparently they're onto them already, maybe its time to shift that box of old ones onto ebay to pay for that elusive zzr tank) and the market will have dropped out of old honda parts making them far more realistically priced
i blame Terry

Offline Just John

• Enthusiast
  • Apparently I am a glutton for punishment
« Reply #441 on: November 14, 2019, 11:21:30 pm »
Quick healing with a full recovery. Like the new K1 project. I just picked up a frame with starting series 108.
John
AMA
AMCA
VJMCA

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #442 on: November 17, 2019, 12:20:17 am »
Thanks guys, well I did drive home on Friday, and made it home alright, without killing anyone, but it was a bit scary driving with my eyes dilated. I found that wearing my sunglasses really helped, but it wasn't perfect. My son Tim drove me to the Bendigo swap meet after the surgeon called me on Friday night and said that there wasn't much point fronting up for surgery on Saturday, and even though I didn't find any ZZR tanks or K1 parts, I still had a good day, and according to my fitbit, I walked over 6 miles, so that had to be good. 

Swamp Rat Sunday Clutch Repair 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Today the weather was still good, so I decided to put the clutch back together. Rather than continue cleaning mine, I just pulled a complete clutch assembly out of my collection of spares, that looked nice and clean, then I individually cleaned and oiled every plate. Good to go.

Swamp Rat Sunday Clutch Repair 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I also replaced the clutch cover as the one on the bike looks like someone has hit it with an axe.

Swamp Rat Sunday Clutch Repair 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I reassembled the clutch, adjusted it, and thought I better see if it works. All good, but still only one gear (first) so I'll have to pull the selector cover off and see what's up. Was nice to actually ride it though, even if it was just up my driveway. ;D

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
Rat built by blood, sweat and tears plus loads of pain.
Price just went up, right Terry ? ;)

CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline vik351

• Enthusiast
  • Adelaide South Australia ...
« Reply #444 on: November 17, 2019, 04:44:15 am »
WTF  ??? ::) you good peeper looks more worsta than the bad peeper that copped the blast, what the hell is going on, the konk looks ok, tell the plasso doc to stick it ...!!!  ;)

leave ya more shed time ...

vik...

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #445 on: November 17, 2019, 08:51:29 am »
Nominated for BOTM -- looking for a second . . .

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/board,54.0.html
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
Hey sherifff,love your nose lol

Sent from my LG-US601 using Tapatalk

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #447 on: November 17, 2019, 05:51:17 pm »
Thanks guys, much appreciated! Sadly Vik, my nose is pretty bad. My glasses are sitting on the remains of the bridge of my nose, but when I (carefully) feel around it, there are lumps and bumps where the bridge used to be, so the surgery I'm having tomorrow is to open my nose up and try to line up enough pieces to make a new bridge, while adding a splint to hold it all in place, and removing all the slivers of bone that need to be taken out. Thanks to the wonders of general anaesthetic I'll be out to it, so as long as I don't wake up during the procedure, they can do what they like.

About a year ago my health insurer offered me a $5000 Cash back accidental injury policy on top of my private health cover and I personally thought it was a waste of $17 per month. I called them today to see if I've qualified for the $5K, and the guys said it looks like I've ticked all the boxes, so that'll be handy, I need some parts for my K1 build, my Kawasaki Z1000 "Mad Max" build, my RC51 build, and the K7 build, not to mention my BSA C11G and CX500 builds........ hmmnnn, maybe that $5K won't be enough? ;D

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #448 on: November 17, 2019, 06:38:32 pm »
Nominated and Seconded for BOTM.  We just need you to "Accept": http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,176614.0.html
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline spotty

• Master
« Reply #449 on: November 17, 2019, 07:09:12 pm »
i thought people paid to have cx500 parts taken away
i blame Terry