Author Topic: '76 CB550F: Randomly Revs up while riding, but no increase in speed?  (Read 1383 times)

Offline magner

I took my longest ride yet today (probably 40 miles) and took the highway back for my second time. Overall the bike did fine, however I noticed when I was cruising around 60 on the highway, the revs would suddenly shoot up while the bike just stayed the same constant speed with no reaction to the sudden change. By looking at it, the bike would just be riding steady and cruising, but if you listened the revs would be up and down sporadically. Also when I up shift, the revs stay high for a few seconds before going back down. I have also noticed recently the tach will behave normally when idling and up to maybe 4k, and then it will just start bouncing all over the place (doubt its related though).

Overall I have noticed it is pretty slow coming out of stops and just in general feel sluggish when trying to accelerate, yet the revs will go really high and sound like its working really hard just to get up to speed. This is the only bike I've ridden so I don't have a frame of reference, but it just seems pretty slow in terms of acceleration. My only reference point is when I ride with my friend (he's on a 2011 Triumph Thruxton): whenever we pull out of lights together, without him even trying he will be like 10 car lengths ahead before I am even up to speed, yet it sounds like I'm flooring it.

My only idea is that it has something to do with the clutch, otherwise how else would the speed of the bike not respond when the revs suddenly shoot up to 6000? Maybe the clutch is slipping or worn down? Thanks as always for any help!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 09:27:48 pm by magner »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: '76 CB550F: Randomly Revs up while riding, but no increase in speed?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 09:33:18 pm »
Yes, it sounds like your clutch is slipping, but it might be as simple as adjusting it.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline magner

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 10:26:10 pm »
Cool, I’d love it if I could get my bike feeling more powerful from a simple fix. I don’t know anything about working on the clutch, any chance you could point me towards what videos to search for?

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 11:11:13 pm »
Stop watching videos and read the service manual.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 05:51:50 am »
The process is very straight forward. Use the step-by-step instructions in the repair manual
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 10:33:24 am »
Stop watching videos and read the service manual.
Yeah...that^^
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline magner

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 10:46:34 am »
Thanks guys; I have read the service manual and will follow it’s instructions, however I only ask about videos because I barely know what a clutch looks like and as someone who’s never worked in motorcycles, I need a little extra aid. I will have to get a caliper but I’d like to check those serviceable limits and report back.

Is it possible that it has to do with the clutch cable adjustment? The only reason I think that it is not that the clutch cable is because it will slip sporadically while cruising, having not touched the clutch lever for awhile.

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 11:03:27 am »
 If it's slipping that bad, you need to start with the lower adjustment first. If not new clutch plates.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline magner

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 04:01:32 pm »
Thanks! By lower adjustment are you referring to adjusting the clutch cable where it meets the crank case, as opposed to the barrel adjuster on the lever?

Offline Smudgemo

• Hot Shot
  • Maker of Stuff
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 04:45:11 pm »
Thanks! By lower adjustment are you referring to adjusting the clutch cable where it meets the crank case, as opposed to the barrel adjuster on the lever?

Yeah, loosen the nut on the bottom of the clutch cover, adjust the slotted bolt until the marks line up, tighten the nut, adjust the cable pull.  Adjusting the cable is the hardest part, but start both ends screwed in for max slack and start by the clutch.  Fine-tune at the lever.  At least that's how I recall doing mine and it works perfectly (for a 42 YO clutch with an unknown number of miles and parts origin..)
-Ryan

Thread - How to fix your starter button (for real): http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,163170.0.html

Offline tlbranth

• Master
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 06:02:21 pm »
I've never had a motorcycle where the clutch needed actual plate replacement. Wet clutches seem to last forever. You probably just need to do the adjustments as described above. When you're done, make sure there's a little play in the lever before disengagement begins .....and Bob's your uncle.
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1970 CB750 K0
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500
2002 VT750-CDA ACE - Momma's bike
Terry

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 11:57:14 pm »
Out of curiosity, have you added any motor oil to the crankcase lately?

If the answer is yes, what type?
75 CB550F Bloo
03 DS650/720 Bombardier
76/78 XS750 Oscar the Grouch
07 FJR1300; Lydia
05 YFZ450/470 Stroker (sold)
73 Norton Commando 850 Cafe
99 Roadstar Silverado (rebuild)
Certified Harley Davidson Tech

Offline magner

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 01:51:42 am »
No I have not actually, and I have been meaning to get around to an oil change since I haven’t since the PO did. I do know the oil in there is motorcycle specific, but I can check on what the actual specifics are later.

Offline magner

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 06:17:54 pm »
So this weekend I have been replacing the clutch plates and after a lot of difficulties I finally have them in, but I also have a gap in the plates that seems odd to me. Can anyone say whether or not this is normal? I checked and the 7 new plates I put in are identical to the 7 old plates I took out.

Offline jaytee-nz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 06:35:43 pm »
No, that is not normal. Have you replaced all the steel plates that go between the new fibre plates you installed ?

Offline magner

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 06:50:12 pm »
Yes I took them out and put them back in just as they were before. Is it just because I don’t have the springs on yet so it’s still loose?

Offline jaytee-nz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 07:12:29 pm »
Yep, putting the springs and plate back on will compress all the clutch plates up tight.
Did you pre-oil all your new plates before putting them in ? If not, I suggest you take them out and soak them in engine oil overnight before final assembly.

Offline magner

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 07:16:23 pm »
Yes I did soak them but thanks for looking out! Now the last thing I have to do is replace the oil filter but I have been wrestling with the oil filter bolt for hours now and I can’t get it off. It seems super over tightened and in top of that it’s made out of super soft metal that strips super easily... I even cut a deep slot in it to use a big flat head on and even that has stripped out somehow... out of ideas at this point.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 07:16:38 pm »
Yep, putting the springs and plate back on will compress all the clutch plates up tight.
Did you pre-oil all your new plates before putting them in ? If not, I suggest you take them out and soak them in engine oil overnight before final assembly.

Yeah, what he said. ^^^
Otherwise you will be back in there, replacing the clutch plates in 10 miles or so. :(
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 07:19:18 pm »
Yes I did soak them but thanks for looking out! Now the last thing I have to do is replace the oil filter but I have been wrestling with the oil filter bolt for hours now and I can’t get it off. It seems super over tightened and in top of that it’s made out of super soft metal that strips super easily... I even cut a deep slot in it to use a big flat head on and even that has stripped out somehow... out of ideas at this point.
It sounds like someone overtightened it a long time ago. It probably happened because he put in the too-small O-ring that often comes in oil filters these days, then it leaked. Then he kept tightening until it stopped. Nasty...

Go to PartsNmore and look up your bike: they have a nice oil filter bolt for $10 that has a larger 17mm head. And it's a little better metal, to boot! The O-ring is special: if yours is even slightly loose in the groove, get a new one from Honda. It will last for decades.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline magner

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 07:31:00 pm »
Thanks I will! Now I just need to figure out how to get the stupid thing off...

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 11:03:57 pm »
You didn't specify what model CB550F you have. Any CB550F owner who is working on the clutch should have the engine serial number at hand to check what clutch assembly he is supposed to have. This because the clutch underwent modification from engine number 1139189 on. Cf. p. 17 in http://www.honda4fun.com/pdf_parts_list/pdf_spac550/CB550F2/CB550F2_1.pdf  BTW, all models CB550 Parts Lists both 'K and 'F' are here: http://www.honda4fun.com/materiale-documentazione-tecnica/parts-list/parts-list-cb550
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2019, 08:39:12 pm »
I had a #$%* of a time getting mine off. Finally used a breaker bar with a very tight fitting 6 point socket and tapped on the end of the bar with a blacksmith hammer (carefully) to mimic an impact and it finally broke free. It sucked and like you didn’t think it would come free.
“You are either on something or onto something.” The Comman Man