Author Topic: '78 CB550K named "Yuki" - Engine Build  (Read 3927 times)

Offline flatlander

• Old Timer
Re: '78 CB550K named "Yuki" - Engine Build
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 10:44:22 pm »
Thanks, All, for letting me know that my inline pics are not visible. I'm gonna say that's why this thread has been kind of a dud :-) I have been trying to link them directly to my Google Photos - has anyone done this?  Anyhow, I went back to the last several posts and replaced the inline pics with attachments.

i use google photos. the pics need to be in an album, then you open them from the album to get their URL and link them here. when you link them directly, not in an album, for some reason they don't work.

Offline Nik-bot

• '78 CB550K; '06 Bonnie
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2019, 12:21:14 pm »
Hi All.

I parked this engine build for the winter after completing the bottem end. Now I am starting top end assembly.

I ran into a problem pretty quickly.

The cylinder had has a 'street' port job done and a serdi valve job. Setting up to install the valves, I find the shop marked two exhaust valves as belonging to cyl #4 and none for #3. So I am not sure which exhaust valve matches to cyls 3 and 4.

What can I do to ensure pair up the right valves & seats?

Offline Marissa

• Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2019, 04:40:55 pm »
Hi All.

I parked this engine build for the winter after completing the bottem end. Now I am starting top end assembly.

I ran into a problem pretty quickly.

The cylinder had has a 'street' port job done and a serdi valve job. Setting up to install the valves, I find the shop marked two exhaust valves as belonging to cyl #4 and none for #3. So I am not sure which exhaust valve matches to cyls 3 and 4.

What can I do to ensure pair up the right valves & seats?

Inexperienced builder here, but me personally I would just order a valve lapping compound and tool and just lap whichever ones you aren't sure go where and ensure they seat properly that way. May feel counter intuitive but at least you'll know they're clean and seat perfect :)
1984 Nissan 300zx - sold
2016 Ford Fiesta ST - daily
1972 Honda CB500 - infinite work in progress

Instagram- marissasimos

Offline Nik-bot

• '78 CB550K; '06 Bonnie
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2019, 05:43:09 pm »
Thanks, Marissa - that's what I'll do then...

Offline Nik-bot

• '78 CB550K; '06 Bonnie
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2019, 06:11:30 pm »
Happy to make a bit of progress today.

New valves and springs installed into ported head.

And pistons installed also. The wrist pin on piston #3 was a bit tight sliding into the piston. The play is fine on the rod. I hope this is OK as the others slid in very easily.

I sometimes find that I've ordered extra parts. Here I have three base gaskets: Cycle-X kit, Honda OEM, and Athena kit. The Athena gasket is thinner (0.48) so I won't use it. I will use the OEM I guess. Installed dry, from what I've read here.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 06:20:45 pm by Nik-bot »