Author Topic: Yikes... what a bummer  (Read 1066 times)

Offline evopgt

• Enthusiast
Yikes... what a bummer
« on: July 25, 2019, 08:20:54 pm »
Well, I just purchased this pristine looking 77 CB750A. Has Original paint, chrome is excellent, has 28k on it. While looking the bike over tonight to try and get it fired up,  I removed the plugs. Most of them felt tight coming out. All seemed to go back in except number 3. It seemed to have very mucked threads, and I believe the threads are probably damaged.  I can’t see anything the way they go in the motor. But it doesn’t “feel” right. It tightens, but, doesn’t feel like it’s seated solid or that it has gone far enough. Can’t see a thing.  It’s like Honda said” let’s make this as difficult as possible.  Any Ideas? Or is this a part out waiting to happen??

Offline raymond10078

• Expert
  • Just learnin' as I go . . . .
Re: Yikes... what a bummer
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 03:58:18 pm »
I'd recommend posting this is the SOHC/4 section, as this question/problem is NOT unique to the "A" bike.

I know you'll get a lot more responses and help.
1978 CB750A (upgrading very, very slowly)

Past bikes - Honda: SL350, CX650C, CB900C, CB1000C, CM450A; Kawasaki: several 1972 750 H2's; Suzuki: TC90J.

Bikes I want: CX650ED, a mid-sized japanese V-twin with ABS.

Offline nixon

• Enthusiast
Re: Yikes... what a bummer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 10:07:37 pm »
mine also had issue with one of the inside threads, carefully use a thread chaser of correct pitch and should be fine. keep in mind if it pushes crud into chamber you an suck it out with a vacuum and diy nozzle made of whatever you have lying around..or hopefully just goes out the exhaust!
cb750a 77, cbr900rr 93 with auto clutch

Riding tip " turn in late, feeling great.  Turn in early,  feeling squirrely "