Author Topic: K7 - Need someone to double check my carb checklist (long-ish)  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Pielz

• Hot Shot
(first project bike) I pulled my carbs for the 2nd time, today. I got some new airbox to carb boots because the old ones were artifacts lol. But I realized I missed a few things last time. I'd just like to list what I've done and if anyone could chime in and point me towards something I've missed, please do! I really don't wanna pull these off again this season.

So I realized that I had never set my fast idle cam. At least not properly. It wasn't engaging correctly so my choke wasn't doing anything. On top of that, the FIC was sticking so my choke plates would only close about 80% everything was still pretty clean in there but I took everything out anyway. Here's what I did.

-Pulled my main jet emulsifier tube, cleaned it out with carb cleaner and a guitar string.

-Didn't pull the slow jet as it was put in brand new and the carbs have less than 30 miles on them since last cleaning. But I did spray a ton of carb cleaner down them and in the idle circuit. Plus I didn't want to mess them up with pliers as I don't have replacements. Should I have pulled them?

-verified that the accelerator pump was functional and all 4 jets squirt gas down the throats. Checked the rubber for tears, sprayed out the paths in the pump cover and verified that all fuel paths were flowing and check valves worked. Double checked that I replaced the rubber O ring lol

-Greased the heck out of the FIC adjuster screw with red and tacky bearing grease and it slides nicely now and my choke fully engages.

-gave the carbs a bench sync

-i had mis-adjusted the floats last time. I wasn't measuring from the proper place so they were about 2mm too high. Set those properly, I measured at the furthest point from the pivot, at an appropriate angle to 12.5mm. Verified that the needles set and the passages were clear.

Did I miss anything? I'd like to get a few more brains on this before they go back on. I pulled them because (I think) I had a lean condition. VERY Hard starting, starter fluid was basically necessary. Bogging and dying under fast throttle below 4k rpm. Above that, no real problem. Refused to go over 65 and really fought back at 60. Floats would stick and id have to whack the side of the carbs with a rubber handled tool to get it to stop overflowing in to the airbox.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Offline Pielz

• Hot Shot
Re: K7 - Need someone to double check my carb checklist (long-ish)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 01:59:33 am »
77 CB750 with stock carbs and airbox btw. Mac 4 into 2 exhaust.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 10:05:10 am »
Did you bench sync the slides?
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 10:08:55 am »
duh...I see that you did now.  Poor reading comprehension...sheesh
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Pielz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 11:02:47 am »
duh...I see that you did now.  Poor reading comprehension...sheesh
Lol. Yep!