Author Topic: CB360T Ignition question  (Read 819 times)

Offline LokisTyro

CB360T Ignition question
« on: June 27, 2019, 07:14:51 pm »
I have a '76 cb360T with a charlie's place electronic ignition along with their regulator rectifier combo. I'm trying to troubleshoot the continuous misfire I'm having. This existed before those alterations were made. Getting to the points, or condenser rather, I've read that you can remove the condenser if you have an electronic ignition, so I'd like to do that with confirmation that this will not harm the bike's electrical system and if it's not too extensive a quick how to. Remove and fuse the wires together? Top end, timing, carbs, valve adjustments, cam chain tension have all been done, several times for everything but the top end. So, I'm thinking that it's either the coils or condenser. I did clean a lot of electrical connections and grounds. Bike charges and the battery holds about 12.5.
"Get confident, stupid!" -Phil Hartman as Troy McClure

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: CB360T Ignition question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 07:13:53 pm »
Two things:
1. You don't run the condensors with Charlie's or Dyna's ignitions.
2. The [new] point cam on the CB360 may be (and usually is) wobbling. Check the point cam (I think they call it a "trigger") for looseness. Most of these bikes need new shims under those cams because the original ones were plastic and wore off long ago. To make a set, make at least 2 shims, one will still cause bind and won't help alignment. The thickness of those shims is determined as follows: when the advancer is bolted onto the camshaft, measure the clearance between the back of the retaining washer and the face of the points cam (or trigger cam, in Charlies' units) with feeler gages. This clearance must be between 0.006" - 0.002", so make the 2 new shims of a thickness to make this clearance result.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com